What Mac to go intel next?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cwedl, Jan 28, 2006.

1. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Hi

Just thinking, with three Macs left to go intel what do you think will be next? or maybe you believe they will be made intel at the same time.

1)Powermac
    2)iBook (MacBook)
    3)Mac Mini

and also state why you think so as well.

2. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I think PowerMac, Then iBook, then MacMini.
    You Forgot Emac.

EDIT:
    WTF... when did they take away the e-mac??!

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

iBook next, then mac mini too

Powermacs will be last

4. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

Yeah I agree with that, Professionals will want faster speeds from their programs, so there is not much point in updating to intel chips if adobe and quark etc won't have their universal binaries ready for some months time. However if apple are making their pro apps universal in march, we may see powermacs also with intel chips in that soon.

5. looklost macrumors regular

macmini & ibooks(renamed macbook) released at the same time.

6. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

1. iBook
    2. PowerMac
    3. Mac Mini

It's hard to decide between the first two, since Apple probably wants to get the PowerMac out a.s.a.p. for developers. All this talk about the iBook, and all of the previous rumors, make me think it will come first. However, they might wish to market the Mac Mini for the spring/summer, and have new iBook's near the end of the year so as to keep sales fairly steady throughout the entire year. Maybe I just voted for iBook coming first because I'm anxious to see what it will be :)

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I believe it will be the mini and the iBook. By the way, IMO the iBook name will stay the same and not change to "MacBook" (kinda like the iMac kept it's name). The PowerMac will be last and maybe renamed to "ProMac" or "MacPro". Just a thought.;)

8. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

iMacbook possibly? steve did may that he wanted the mac name in his products, iMac already has it! iPod should stay the same though because everyone knows that name!

9. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

or iapplemacintoshbookmac

10. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Heh, oh, you caught that yourself. I was going to say that Apple did too! ;)

It went away late last year, IIRC. Presumably because the Mac Mini hit a similar price point, and because they were sick of selling Macs that have CRTs. :)

12. rjboger macrumors newbie

they are still there you just need to be a school or university to purchase one

13. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

i think iBook and mac mini at the same time and then powermac will be the last desktop. XServe will be last.

I think they're doing them in an order that combines which ones need them and market stragety. iBook needs it the most, but having the consumer line 4x faster than the pro line isnt right, so they waited. That will be over soon.

Powermac will be last because it already has an EXTREMELY fast processor. Its like the ferrari of the macs. iMac is like the Porsche, powerbook like the bmw, and ibook like the lexus. of course, that has no relevance.

I think that the laptop line will be consolidated into MacBook. Then we will also see MacTravel. Just my 2¢.

14. Meyvn macrumors 6502

I say: Mac mini and iBook in April with core solos, and then when Conroe comes out, the PM goes.

15. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Anniversary

What about April 1st? Apple may just do something special for that big day. Maybe release all of the rest of the Macs as Intel machines in one swoop. That would make for a huge celebration.:D

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Something big may come on April 1, but I think you'll see at least one machine switch, before then.

17. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i think we might be able to expect a Powermac update in March when Final Cut Studio 6 is released and will run properly on the intel chips.

we might see something like a CS2.5 update in that time from adobe with universal binaries so that pro's can take advantage of all that power before they roll out CS3.

18. matperk macrumors 6502

I will bet a great amount of $$$ that iBook will be renamed MacBook. That's why they threw the Pro at the end of the new MacBook Pro's...to seperate the future lines. It makes sense.

I think ibooks and macmini's will be out in march, and the PowerMacs will wait until end of summer--waiting for faster processors. Mainly waiting for ones that aren't so centered on mobility as the core duos are--they need processores made for power (as in speed) rather than ones focused on power consumprtion.

19. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Agreed. Released in March or April in time for the US academia orders.

Black iMac and black 13" MacBook on April 1st (30 year anniversary limited edition models)
    Then 17" MacBook Pro (some time between 1st April and 6th June)
    PowerMac announced at WWDC on June 6th 2006 (give or take a day), along with Leopard
    Xserve at a special event in September or October 2006, completing the transition.

That still leaves changes to the iPod range and a bunch of "one more thing..."'s.

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I don't see the iMac being updated in April. They have enough products that need serious work, before they update the first intel Mac.

21. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

My guess!
    1. MacBook (iBook)
    2. Mac mini
    3. 13 and 17" MacBook Pro's
    4. Mac Pro (PowerMac)
    5. Xserve

22. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a MacBook pro smaller than 15''

PowerMac will almost certainly be last.

23. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

24. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I am afraid you are correct, but I hope not!
    Hmmm. Do you really think they will put an Intel processor in Xserve before the PowerMac? Wow! :rolleyes:

25. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I hope you are wrong; the 12" powerbook has been a very popular model. For a while, I wondered if Steve was going to ditch the pro-consumer distinction in laptops (with the rumor of the merger of the 12" ibook and 12" powerbook in a 13" widescreen "book); however, I think the use of the word "pro" and the talk about the professional apps at the keynote means this distinction will coninue.

I just hope apple doesn't continue to cripple the ibooks as much as it did with the G4 models; lack of screen spanning and smaller, slower hard drives were particularly hard to swallow; I can live with the ibooks not having card slots or DVI out. And hopefully the PC market has demonstrated that even a "consumer" ought to be able to burn DVDs.