what machines are wifi(n) upgradable

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by keeneye, Jan 27, 2007.

1. keeneye macrumors newbie

The refurb site has some good deals on macbook pros. My question is do you have to have the d2c model to be able to upgrade the wifi speed to (n) or will the 2.0 dc be able to do that as well.
    Thanks

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The Macs with 802.11n (draft 1.0) hardware are:

- Core 2 Duo based Macs (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro)
    - Mac Pro with built-in wireless card.

Anything else doesn't have the hardware to make use of the increased networking speeds and range that 802.11n brings.

It's "C2D" for Core 2 Duo not "d2c" but that's by the by.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The cheapest C2D iMac (the Combo drive one) does not have the new wireless card :mad:

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh yeah, forgot that one. Cheers mate, always forget there's a cheap 17" iMac getting around - basically a processor swap with the old education-only Core Duo iMac.

I don't really see it as an option, would rather save a few weeks more for the extra few hundred and get the fully specced 17" iMac.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I always felt the same way until I saw that Apple had placed it as the top model in the mini line-up. It makes more sense there. Of course, it is also the bottom model in the iMac line. In both cases, though, it serves the purpose of showing people how much more they can get for just $200 more. Apple is never opposed to up-selling.