What Macs For Me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by snackcakeofd00m, Apr 30, 2005.

1. snackcakeofd00m macrumors member

Hello,
    I am currently using a Windows PC but would like to change that. You see i have been looking into the idea of buying a mac for a couple of months now but i wasn't quite sure it would be worth it until last night at the Tiger Release Party. At the party i saw Tiger's innovations first hand was in awe on how much better Tiger is compared to XP and even Longhorn. So I definitely want a Mac but i do not know which one to get? I am stuck between purchasing a iMac, Powerbook or Mini. I want the full Tiger experience but i do not want to spend insane amounts of money. I am leaning towards the Powerbook b/c I already have a home computer and the Powerbook looks schweet. So I am asking you guys which Mac should i buy?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It depends on what you want to do with it.

I always buy PowerMacs because for my needs, the priority is speed and upgradeability. Yours may include portability... but if it's not that important, get the iMac. It will give you years of decent service.

IMHO, the Mini is a limited machine... suitable for less-intensive computing.

3. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

for now the mini's out of the cards. I want the Powerbook for the mobility but the iMac for speed and performance? Is the performance of the iMac that much better than the Powerbook?

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Ifr you want a powerbook for portibility, then get it, it still has plenty of power with the iMac giving a modest improvement. If you got a nice screen at home than most definitely go with the powerbook and connect it up to the screen.

5. minimax macrumors 6502

you really should be more specific. It doesnt sound like you're needing it for professional purposes, playing the latest games is also not really advisable on any mac apart from the PM so it really comes down to the mobility factor i'd say. If you have the money and you don't need the power ( rendering / video applications) you should go for the powerbook. If mobility is only an extra, why not try out the mac mini first?
    And when money might be a problem you could always opt for the ibook.
    But really, for non-professional purposes the mac mini is fast enough, if you add an extra 256MB. Heck I did some heavy *ss rendering on a 233MHz only a few years ago!

6. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

yes i am thinking ibook best of all worlds. not much money,portability, and enough power for me. Minimax was rite, i do not need heavy processing power for me. The iBook seems right for me.

7. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yer if you don't need the power the iBook is heaps good. If your concerned that Tiger what run well cause of core image your wrong, Tiger runs in certain application faster espically the finder. Dashboard run fine too. Enjoy your new purcahse.

8. minimax macrumors 6502

good luck! there are rumors of an update to the ibook soon btw... :D

9. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

yum new ibook. so will core image work on the ibook

10. carlos700 macrumors regular

Go iBook

I love my iBook G4. I find it plenty speedy. I work with Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Fireworks –which are all processor hungry applications. Moreover, the iBook is very compact and easy to carry. Core Image should not be a problem unless you plan on using Core Image services like Motion or Final Cut Studio –otherwise Core Image support is not necessary.

11. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

12. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

Update it seems that i can spend more on a new Mac. YEH!!! So my new choices are the 17 inch Superdrive iMac with Airport Express, 512 Ram and a bluetooth module. By the way i have a Linksys router do i need to buy the Airport Express station so my apple can connect to the internet wirelessly or can i use my existing WiFi router(i figure i can use my current router but just making sure). Well, I am not quite sure which one to get, they both have the sam specs, excpt the iMac has a G5 but the Powerbook is portable. I am not sure i need a g5 processor. I don't think i need that kind of computing power. The only thing i will use the Powerbook is for basic computing things along with some Photoshop and some very basic video editing. So my main question is: Will their be a big difference in the two computers that if i get the Powerbook i will not be satisfied with its speeds, or that if i get the iMac i will be upset i passed up the portability gor extro processing power i do not need

13. minimax macrumors 6502

the powerbook will really be fast enough. Besides, the GPU of the 15" model is more powerful so the pb will be somewhat more suitable for gaming compared to the imac. All in all I don't think you'll notice a very big difference between both so if you prefer mobility go for the powerbook if you prefer a larger screen go for the imac.

14. iBunny macrumors 65816

I bought an iBook about 6 months ago and love it. I am too a windows user. and a PC enthusiast. But I wanted to see how OSX was and how the apple platform is. Well, I didnt want to shell out alot of money, because what if I didnt like it? So I got the 14' iBook and its sweet. And I like it. I am not concidering a Dual G5 Powermac when I return to the states. I dunno, we will see if its in the cards ;)