Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
As a way of keeping organized i thought a mail client might help so ill give it a try. what is a good mail client? i need it to manage both my personal and business account. also, i would like to incorporate a preset html graphic scheme which would be automatically used in all my emails and use this without having to scrounge around in html coding to find the right place to type my message. i would like to use mail.app but i heard that it doesnt do html email.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
slipper said:
As a way of keeping organized i thought a mail client might help so ill give it a try. what is a good mail client? i need it to manage both my personal and business account. also, i would like to incorporate a preset html graphic scheme which would be automatically used in all my emails and use this without having to scrounge around in html coding to find the right place to type my message. i would like to use mail.app but i heard that it doesnt do html email.
Why in God's name do you want to send HTML mail? It is generally considered to be a major security hole. In fact, Windows users are urged to use Eudora when security is an issue precisely because the venerable email client does not do HTML mail and has very limited scripting functions.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Mail does support rtf which can do similar things to html. It can also handle multiple accounts quite well. I'm not sure about using a default graphic scheme though, perhaps you could create an AppleScript to do this.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
MisterMe said:
Why in God's name do you want to send HTML mail? It is generally considered to be a major security hole. In fact, Windows users are urged to use Eudora when security is an issue precisely because the venerable email client does not do HTML mail and has very limited scripting functions.

Not to mention that HTML mail is large and bad for people with slow connections.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
slipper said:

Most e-mail clients will do HTML mail. I use Mozilla Thunderbird; while I generally send text-only mail it'll do HTML mail as well. It handles IMAP better than any other client, in my opinion, which is why I use it.

Eudora and Entourage will also do HTML mail.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
MisterMe said:

This is rather out of date information. :D Eudora does HTML mail - and has for at least two version numbers (before that it did RTF mail but not HTML). On Windows at least you can choose to use its own internal rendering engine or the IE engine.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I hate HTML email. In my own experience the vast majority tends to be spam. HTML just makes spam more dangerous and clog your inbox with large files. If you want formatted text rtf is fine or you can attach a pdf. The only thing I hate worse is attached MS Word docs since they do not have standardized formatting and often carry viruses that can harm Windows based computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.