What makes America great?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by miloblithe, Sep 29, 2005.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Like many of the people on this forum, I'm quick to criticize the United States. I'm also quick to criticize other countries. I imagine that like many of the people on this forum, although I criticize the United States, I firmly believe that the US is a great country and has a lot of amazing and wonderful things about it.

So how about it? Let's talk about some of the strengths of the US for a thread (and make the conservatives a little happier I imagne).

2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

• Great literature, great music, great movies...
    • A written constitution with the words, 'we, the people...'
    • Designed in California ;)

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a very scary mentality.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So were the dinosaurs.

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I didn't mean it in an evil way... Its just an awesome feeling knowing that I live in the most powerful country in the world (Also, I live in the most powerful state of that country, California [which also happens to be an awesome state]). Of course, with this power may evil things have happened... But what can I say? It wasn't me, and I wouldn't have let it happen if I could (all the evil things we've done)...

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What makes (The United States of) America great? It's so close to Canada... ;)

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's freedom of thought and individuality unlike any other country's that engender ideas that become inventions that change the human experience, sometimes for the better.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

even a little deeper than that, imo it's this idea that just because one is born in a certain location doesn't mean they must adopt the cultural or religious patterns of that place.

therefore, any attempt to force conformity or religious beliefs is unamerican.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

:confused:

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, we're all basking in the irony.

13. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I don't get it? You mean that our once high and mighty nation's power is going to go the way of the dinosaur? (extinct?)

Plus what's wrong with me mentioning power? I mean common, Its great, the world answers to us (though I very much agree that we shouldn't do evil with our power)...

But honestly, I'm giving the US as a whole too much credit. Really, I like California, which happens to be part of the US, we're the most populous and most powerful state in the country, we're the Fifth largest economy in the world for crying out loud! We have lots of diversity, beauty of nature, hollywood lives here... The list goes on...

EDIT: What I also love about America, is that, we have Mexico, Canada, and all of South America, which I also think are great countries (if you want to include all that is America)...

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i think he ment it along the side of other superpowers throughout the history
    you know pretty much all of them stopped being powerfull .. some soon and without pain (UDSSR) .. some later and with lots of blood (the roman empires)

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think America's diversity is one of its greatest assets as well as one of its greatest weaknesses.

Lethal

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Respectfully, I would disagree. Personally, I see more expressed individuality and freedom of thought here in the UK, particularly as it is far more secular with a greater deal of healthy scepticism towards its institutions.

Mind you, you guys have far superior plumbing.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, it bloody well doesn't. Completely ridiculous and worryingly fascistic... :rolleyes:

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What was the question?

19. mpw Guest

Give them a break BV, don't forget America's idea of 'the world' is quite limited. I was staying in the CA in 1994 with some American friends and there was a survey of high school kids where they'd each been given a political map of the world without the countries labeled. 45% did not correctly label Canada!

20. andym172 macrumors 6502

We do? :confused:

I'd hazard a bet that it's this kind of view which makes America possibly the most hated country in the world.

Remind me, what's your current debt deficit?

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Australia answers to America, if it makes anyone feel better or bigger...

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Only little Johnny H. The rest of you have more sense.

23. mpw Guest

Your language, English.

Your size, the land not your people.

Of course the US is actually many different States United so should probably be compared to the EU rather than individual coutries or states.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, I don't know: the size of your people is impressive enough.