What makes female Mac users unique?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by princealfie, Dec 5, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

What qualities distinguish female Mac users from say, a typical PC user (either male or female)?

It's a very interesting sociological question that was posed to me. :rolleyes:

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'm not sure what answer you're looking for but gender aside. Most of my female (and male) friends who use Macs use them because they are so user friendly and don't have to worry about hardware issues, viruses, and all that nonsense.

Most of my PC user friends are frequent gamers and into the latest technology and pc hardware upgrades.

Then there are my friends who just buy whatever's on sale (which is usually a crappy low end PC).

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I see a disconnect in that question. I think you introduce an unecessay variable. The obvious comparison would be between male PC users and female Mac users, which is useful to explore gender similarities to the platforms. Or liberal Mac users to conservative PC users.

If you want a more intriguing analysis, you would do better to compare male Mac users to female PC users. There's a compelling singles ad right there.

Or more simply, is your Mac a He or a She?

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

More easily distracted by shiny things?

:p

*Ducks and runs away very quickly*

6. vniow macrumors G4

Exactly. The shininess makes Macs far more useful to women applying makeup than all those dull PCs.

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

That, my friend, is a false dilemma.

OP, I have no answer to your question. Or at least no answer that wouldn't be a disgusting generality. I can tell you that I dragged the woman "kicking and screaming" from XP to OS X (by buying a PB) and she hasn't looked back. I mean, she was perfectly happy with the spyware and the crashing and the constant reinstalling of Windows.

She's much smarter than me, too. I mean, I never win a fight.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Admits to applying mascara on the Tube using the back of my iPod as a mirror :eek:

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, they probably have more money.

No, no, not because the Mac is more expensive and they need a higher income to afford one, but because buying an iMac is $1200 and it runs at full speed for about five years and buying a PC is like $700 and then $99/year for antivirus and it runs at full speed for about a month and needs replacing after two years.

So the female Mac user has roughly $100-200 a year more than the PC user.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, we're such a tiny percentage of computer-users overall. All the women I know who use Macs have impeccable taste. ;)

And it is true; I have seen women doing their makeup on the Tube using the back of their iPod as a mirror. Not me, I hasten to add... that's all trowelled on before I leave the house.

11. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Without trying to be non PC (oops!) mac using females are usually much better looking, maybe the designer verve.....:D

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

My bird likes shiny things.

13. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Then every woman should own this PC. The only thing it's missing are some diamonds and maybe some pink trim and every girl will want one.

Mirror finish PC case

Attached Files:

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Good taste aside, the ones I know generally seem more intelligent and savvy. They've helped me access the internets, too. :)

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My macbook doesn't have a winkle, and I can't find a bojingle anywhere, what happened?

16. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

usually artsy.
    other than thier choice of computer.. thier not my type.
    sorry girls

well.. this all depends too, im just generalizing

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Glad I'm not the only one. :)

18. rstorm macrumors regular

19. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

What a scary topic that could get generalized out of this world... That's why I clicked it :D

But I'll put it this way. "smart" or "intelligent" for using a Mac aside, I think there is a different aspect. My generation, the college age, has a disturbing lack of common sense, or the will to acquire common sense. The attitude of "whatever" or "it's beyond me" is far too wide spread, partially because there is so much to know these days (but that is a whole other topic).

However, what being a Mac user generally shows is that someone was willing to go out of their way to understand a topic for which they aren't forced into. Their own research and understanding was required, and this, at least to me, is a very attractive quality in a female.

Now of course there are other reasons for owning a Mac (you're easily persuaded), which is probably why I've never really been attracted to a Mac user. However those girls always get me to investigate who they are ;)

~Tyler
    I'm also a CS major, so take that into account ;)

20. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think they are unique for the same reason Linda Lovelace's character was unique in her famous movie ... on the other hand, probably not.

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Doing your makeup with photobooth is not a good idea, you overshoot because of the lag and get mascara all over your eyelids.

You've all been warned.

23. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i wouldn't go that far....

24. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

*looks down own shirt*
    Uhhh.. I beg to differ. :p

I love it! :)
    I know that when I do eventually get a Mac with photobooth, that's what I'll use if for most. Not videochatting with my lime, but doing my makeup because I can't be buggered to find a mirror. :D

I have noticed that at most computing events (apple or otherwise) it is mostly males.
    I do not see a problem with this. :D
    *gets out newton* Hey baby, let's connect sometime, what's your skype address? ;);)