what makes your skin crawl?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sonofslim, Apr 15, 2004.

1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

random question, i know, but after much googling (slow day at work) i'm still unable to answer that question. i was thinking maybe some of our more medically-minded members might have some insight. so, does anyone know... what exactly is going on, physiologically, when you get that skin-crawling sensation?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm no expert, but i think this is correct:

animals (we're calling humans animals for now, deal with it people) tend to take steps to make themselves look bigger when threatened/frightened/upset, as a defense mechanism. Like when a cat's hair stands on end, it's to make other animals back down in a fight. Humans have the same residual hardwiring, only we've lost most of our body hair, leaving only light fine hair behind... when we're frightened/upset/etc, our body tries to "puff up", but can't, leaving us with goosebumps and the sensation of something crawling on you...

I think it affects different people different ways... For instance, many people mention it on the back of their necks, but i rarely feel that. For me, it's always my legs. It can be embarassing at times, when i see something really cool or scary, and my leg hair is standing up... hehe

paul

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Do you mean the "fingernails on a chalkboard" kind? Because metal utensils on ceramic plates and writing with chalk on construction paper do that to me...

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

what makes your skin crawl?

John Stevens on American Idol and friggin Old Navy commercials

:shudder:

5. iGav macrumors G3

I love doing that... :D

My Bro hates Polystyrene... hates it... :eek: he can't even touch the stuff, puts his teeth on end... heheh I meanwhile am quite happy to chew it in front of him... heheheh :p

I hate the sound of people brushing their teeth... drives me up the wall! :eek:

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

When yanks mispell words like Colour, they be always trying to change something!

Infact the whole AMERICAN English dictionary gets on my tits, sorry if this offends anyone but try doing research on topics and you can't get what you want UNTIL you spell it the american (wrong) way.

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I tend to spell things the UK way although an American.

The muscles involved in the skin crawling are piloerector muscles.

8. sonofslim thread starter macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

really? that simple? i thought it was something different from your hair standing on end.

i wonder why it's triggered by things like chalkboard noises. and apparently chewing on tinfoil does it for lots of people -- although i don't have any fillings, so sometimes i'll take a bite out of a sheet of foil just to freak out everyone else in the room.

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Ahhh polystyrene is HORRIBLE, can't STAND the stuff, I hate opening electronics when they have loads of polystyrene. I also don't like the sound that balloons make when you squeeze them.

10. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Yes you are right on with this one, i hate touching both stuff, i constantly shiver when in contact or when I hear other people in contact with the stuff, i can even imagine it happening and i can shiver...

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, polystyrene is pretty bad too.

iGav: are serious? *gets his toothbrush*

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Great singing voices make my skin crawl.

For example, when I heard 'Hello' by Evanescence and she goes up high at the end of the song, when it crescendos. "Suddenly I know I'm not sleeping hello I'm still here."

That made my skin crawl the first 5 times I heard it.

Lot's of Mariah Carey songs have made my skin crawl.

I'm sure the first time I heard Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" my skin crawled; during the part where it gets silent, and then the drum kicks, and she begins the main chorus with full power.

scem0

13. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I dont have a whole lot that makes my skin crawl, but a couple things include:

When dubya says nucular instead of nuclear

and when this girl that I am friends with puts a CD into her ibook, starts ripping it and then ...........shudder......... throws the computer to the floor. I have seen her do this at least three times. The last time was from at least 3 feet up. Ah it brings a tear to my eye even now.... that poor sweet ibook...

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

well, if we can include insects and such too, there are a few relatives of hornets/bees that are just ****ing scary looking. If I ever saw one of these ugly mofos, I would **** myself and then just ****ing freeze up.

15. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Having lived in Saudi Arabia for 15 years, these spiders aren't that big, and as the article suggests, get to a maximum size of about 5 inches. I've only seen them about 3 inches in diameter. They second they see you they run, so don't worry about having them attack you :p.

16. Ajmbc macrumors regular

If anyone thinks touching polystyrene is bad, try rubbing the back of your nail on it. ::shudder::

17. iGav macrumors G3

yep... :eek: :p if there's a tv ad with someone brushing their teeth... makes me shudder... I hate the sound, although funnily, it doesn't bother me brushing my own teeth!... strange that! :confused: :D

but that is pretty much it to be honest... polystyrene and scratching my nails down chalboards pose no problems for me! heheh :D

18. macka macrumors regular

Scratching steel forks against a dinner plate....that makes me feel like my blood's running cold...

Oh and if my girlfriend touches me, that makes my blood run cold too. :D

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't stand polystyrene. I can't stand rubbing on balloons either.

The other day, a friend got a new microwave. It came with some sort of plastic wrapping that you had to take off. However, I couldn't stand it! It made a horrible noise and sent shivers up my spine :eek:

I also get the tingles if I squeeze a bag of cornflour.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The big one would be fingernails on a chalk board, but that is ancient history. So it doesn't really happen anymore. A mouse does it also. :eek:

21. Sasha3 macrumors member

22. coopdog macrumors 6502a

When I was walking my bike (chain broke jumping) and I was spacing out looking at the sky and than I realized I was just about to step on a rattle snake. I was just like, "oh ****y." And I crept away, like oh ****. Then I threw rocks at it to get it off the trail. That freaked me out.

Then only thing that really made my skin crwal, was when I thought some one was in my house the other night. There is this Thai statue in my living room and the light made it look like a guy was hiding behind it with a gun. It looked so real too, I don't know how it looked so real. It made my skin crawl like crazy. So I grabed the biggest knife in the kitchen and went over to it ready for a fight. Much to my dissappointment it was just a shadow.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Piccolo, especially the soli section in Stars and Stripes Forever.

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Finger nails scraping on a chalk board...... ughhhhh makes me get shivers hearing it! Also people popping their knuckles and other parts of their body