What means do I have to pursue Amazon.com's rebate claim?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pablo, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Pablo macrumors regular

    Jan 8, 2003
    When I purchased my 17" Powerbook from Amazon.com, they were offering a $200 promotional offer (store credit) if you purchased a computer of $2000 or more - to be mailed 4-6 weeks after the order is placed.

    I ordered on Feb 28th, the Powerbook was shipped on 4/1, and it's been over 6 weeks and I still haven't received the certificate (e-mail).

    Here's my correspondence:

    The '2-3' business days had passed and I hadn't heard anything, so I decided to follow up.

    If I don't hear anything back by Friday (tomorrow) evening, I will (attempt to anyways) pursue this matter with a supervisor.

    But I'm wondering what other means I have of collecting this? I feel that Amazon.com is not following their own guidelines and promised date. Does the FTC enforce such transactions? Would pursuing the matter with them be useful if Amazon.com continues to drag their heels?

    Here are the details on the promotion

    Thanks for any help.
  2. celaurie macrumors 6502a


    Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.
    Okay, when it comes to any complaints about anything there's one thing you need to attain. A single person, with a name and preferably a telephone number. That way, you go through the one individual on all correspondence and you don't get the run around from the multitude.

    Your next correspondence should probably be a bit more enforce and you should make it clear, (i) as to what you want, (ii) when you want it (iii) and the possible results of the action you would take should things not occur to your advantage.

    You might also want to mention that you have sought advice from a Macintosh community or whatever sounds good regarding Amazon's failure to make good on their offer. And it might also be worth saying that the group is very interested in this type of complaint. If nothing else it throws weight behind the consumer and quite often helps to expedite the process.

    Hope this is of some help.

    Chris, the man who knows how to get what he wants :p
  3. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

    Jan 8, 2003

    Thanks for the advice.

    Unfortunately, I am unable to reach a specific person as the responses come from a generic customer service address. It does appear that there are only two people whom I have dealt with.

    I'm not quite ready to start making demands. I'm attempting to be courteous and see how far that gets me. However, I am not shy about becomming insistent, but don't believe that's the adequate route to take quite yet.

    If I don't hear anything else from either of these two reps by Friday evening (or hear something I don't like), I'll pursue this with a supervisor...and intend to be courteous. But I expect a resolution by next Monday and will communicate such should any further issues arise.

    I'm just wondering what kind of leverage (legal, etc.) that I can use to better support my position. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with rebates before, so I'm not really sure what liability Amazon.com has for non-performance.

    Kinda ironic how every other time I visit Amazon.com's site, their homepage has a huge page about how they're committed to customer service.

    Thanks again.
  4. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

    Jan 8, 2003
    Fool.com and The Washington Post have recently published stories dealing with this.

    Here's what The Fool had to say:

    I'll plan on calling Amazon.com and speaking with a supervisor and explaining my position and plans to follow this route (BBB & FTC) rapidly should the situation not get resolved.
  5. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

    Jan 8, 2003
    Well, I called today and spoke with another agent who informed me that Garrick was not in, but that the delay was due to an unanticipated number of people taking advantage of the offer.

    Later, I received an e-mail from Garrick stating that he apologized for the delay and that I would hear back from him in 2-3 days (again?).

    I informed him that I appreciated his help, and that I expected to have the matter resolved by Monday the 21st, and if not, I would pursue other options of concluding the matter, including escalation to a supervisor, and/or filing a claim with the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau.

Share This Page