What ML feature are looking forward to?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by WhackyNinja, Jul 24, 2012.

?

What ML feature are you looking forward to?

1. Messages

19 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. Game Center

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Notes

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Reminders

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Notification Center

25 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Better iCloud Integration

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  7. Facebook and Twitter Integration

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. PowerNap

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. Sharing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Dictation

11 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. AirPlay

11 vote(s)
    11.5%
  12. GateKeeper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

:apple: What Mountain Lion Feature catches your eye the most?

2. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

3. macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Howsabouts the speed improvements over Lion for starters? :rolleyes: Finally my iMac has stopped pushing me to the edge of downgrading to Snow Leopard daily!

4. macrumors 68000

I looked forward to notification centre and Airplay the most. Found them both great but after playing with the GM I found using Safari 6 to be the feature I enjoyed the most. Its a pleasure to use.

5. macrumors regular

iwan073

6. macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

7. macrumors 6502

Notes. I tend to note things down on the fly using a mixture of Text Edit & Stickies.

Looking forward to having an organised app for all my notes :)

Other than that, a fully functioning Messages app will be welcomed, along with notification centre.

8. Guest

Same here; as written in another thread I created, the closest to "exciting" features are perhaps AirPlay and the optimized Safari - nothing else.

9. macrumors 603

cambookpro

Dictation probably, as I was planning to buy Dragon Dictate before the dictation feature was announced at WWDC.

Notification centre will be good too, but no where near as useful as it is on the iPhone.

Looking forward to general refinements and small UI changes too.

10. macrumors 68030

WardC

None of these features -- I see Mountain Lion as just a package of "bells and whistles" that really brings no groundbreaking new features or functionality to the OS that Lion did not have.

I would like the Operating System to take full advantage of four, six, or twelve cores, and not just one or two. I would like applications to take full advantage of the Retina display on the new MacBook Pro. I would like actual SIRI "full" functionality built into the system, full voice command recognition and navigation, and full AVI/WMV/XVID/DIVX video playback built into QuickTime standard...something Apple has never delivered!!

QuickTime needs to be re-written from the ground up. The only way to play various formats currently is to resort to a 3rd party program like VLC. This is unacceptable in the year 2012.

Apple also needs to support audio formats like FLAC -- currently there is no way to rip or playback FLAC in Mac OS X or iTunes, without using a 3rd party program.

Apple needs to improve their TextEdit program, it is seriously lacking.

These things and many others, very simple improvements to add, but Apple won't do it.

11. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

iCloud is groundbreaking

Quicktime "has" been replaced. The new media framework is AV Foundation.

The Operating system does support multiple cores within reason. If you know how to efficiently manage the OS across 12 cores without screwing things up I'm sure Apple would hire you on the spot.

Why would someone use FLAC when they could get the same result with Apple Lossless? Apple wouldn't support FLAC because of indemnification issues

Mountain Lion doesn't need to be groundbreaking it just needs to work.

12. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

13. macrumors regular

kftrainer

Dictation

I think I will be very excited about dictation

14. macrumors member

Psycna

15. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

16. macrumors 6502a

I voted for notes (currently using xpad which hasn't been updated since before I bought my computer!)

But honestly if ML can give me back some form of save as and the ability to zoom in on pdfs via quick look WITHOUT messing up anything else I will be satisfied.

In all honesty Lion badly needed a "service pack" sort of upgrade and that is exactly what Apple is doing. I see nothing wrong with that. Not crazy about the iOS add ons but as long as they don't get in my way I don't care. I just want OS X upgrades to keep improving even if the improvements are marginal just don't want to go backwards!

17. macrumors 6502a

None of the above. I'm looking forward to the improved OpenGL support.

18. macrumors 6502

travis64

19. macrumors 601

ixodes

What makes iCloud groundbreaking ?

Perhaps you've got a more full featured version than what I've seen?

20. macrumors 6502a

alexreich

You and me both haha. I have TONS of stickies in my Dashboard and various TextEdit files are generated every time I need to do something on the computer or if I need to remember something for a short period of time. Haha.

My favorite features are Dictation, AirPlay, and Notes as of right now.

21. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Mountain Lion finishes the trifecta.

It syncs :

Key Value data - This is more powerful than Dropbox because key value data isn't in the form of a document.

Documents - finally the final piece is ready.

Core Data - even files in core data stores or packages can be kept in sync with iCloud

So Apple has a sync technology that doesn't rely on "faking" in in a folder and can sync the smallest bit of data on up to large core data stores. And all of this is integrated into the very frameworks that developers use every day.

Who else is offering such breadth? No one else is delivering such frictionless sync on a wide scale.