What model imac is this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edwardk9, May 29, 2005.

1. edwardk9 macrumors member

edwardk9

The person selling says its an iMac g3 400mhz DV. Does this look correct?

It had 64mb of Ram but they upgraded to 128. I bought it with the keyboard and mouse, wifi card, and an extra 512mb ram for 110 shipped.

I hope I am not dissapointed. I already have a main computer - just wanted a cheap mac to use and look at :)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      24.1 KB
      Views:
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes, I can't tell the Mhz by looking at it but the slot loading ones are the DV series I believe. Check out everymac.com :)

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is one of the most desirable iMac G3s, congratulations, good price.

The DV models have Firewire, which is major because the first iMacs were crippled with only USB 1.1 ports. Your machine uses PC100 DIMMs for RAM, and you can go to a maximum of 1 Gb with 2 x 512 Mb DIMMs.

OTOH, there aren't many internal upgrade options, such as CD-RW or DVD-RW, so you'll have to go external Firewire for that.

4. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I have an indigo iMac DV almost exactly like that, just a smaller amount of RAM (384MB) and while it isn't a powerhouse, it browses the web, checks mail, and plays music very well :)

I will say that these little guys are tough - I've had this one since the summer of 2000, and it's been through 4 kids (including me), over 15 HD erases, and tons of very heavy work and torture (3D rendering and Photoshop) and it's still working perfectly to this day with all it's original components - I've never had to service it.

5. edwardk9 thread starter macrumors member

edwardk9

Great! My friend sold his powermac and said he would sell me his tiger disk for 30bucks. It comes with OS9 so I am wondering should I update or just leave OS9 on there?

I read something about firmware updates and what not.

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Yep that seems about right. Not a bad price for that machine. My friend has an old 233 mhz iMac and it runs like crap. Hopefully yours is better.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would upgrade to tiger (much more eye candy :D ). Just be advised that your iMac will not be able to handle all of the animations that tiger has/uses. Besides that your iMac should be more than ready to handle Apples latest cat (just without all of the cool visual effects).

8. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i have three of these :eek: one is 400 mhz the other 2 are 600, tiger works ok on all of them, and i still consider them to be decent computers....(not so much the 400mhz) but i use them daily and they work fine, except my main 600mhz airport won't work anymore and i can't figure out why :(

9. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I have one of these. It's sitting behind me and my wife uses it. It now has a 40GB HD and Panther and it runs very nicely. It's a testament to the longevity of Apple products.

10. YoNotYoshi macrumors newbie

My mom uses a DV for her work, with a slight ram upgrade (maybe 384). I'm not sure if its a 350 or 400, but either way its been running just fine for 4.5 years. With 512 megs of ram you'll run Tiger pretty well, . If you're just going to use it to surf the web and do e-mail/word processing, You will be very very pleased with your purchase.

On another note, those last generation CRT iMacs from 2001 are GREAT deals on computers. You can get 500mhz/192-256 megs RAM/30 gig hard drive/DVD for a little north of $250 on ebay. tack on an external burner and you have an awesome little machine for $300