What model should i get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Genoa12, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Genoa12 macrumors newbie

I am currently about to enter my senior year and i have worked for a while and can afford a macbook as well as a macbook pro, the only issue is that i am curious as to whether i will need the extra power. I love the look of the macbook pro much more but that isnt worth the money i need to know if the power will be taken advantage of. Obviously ill be using chat programs and using word but i also plan on using photoshop a fair amount and becoming familiar with final cut pro and motion.

what would you guys recommend? :D

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you're getting into the higher-end stuff as you propose, you'll be better served by a MacBook Pro.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Final Cut Pro and Motion, then get the MBP especially for Motion which i am pretty sure is graphics card intense

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Don't get it. I'd wait until you know where you're going to college, what you plan on majoring in, and what sort of machine they recomend.

Having said that, I know you don't want to wait. So do you play games? At least wait until there's Core2 in the MBP's until you decide.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would recommend that you go with a MacBook Pro for your stated uses Genoa12. :)

6. Genoa12 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i am not doing anything until after wwdc the biggest reason why i dont want to touch the macbook with a 10 foot pole is the screen is just way too small for me. Not even for the reasons i would use it, it is just my personal preference.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good idea (waiting until after WWDC '06). :)

I know what you mean about the MacBook's LCD being too small. I was originally going to buy a MacBook instead of a MacBook Pro, but after comparing the screens and the look of the cases (aluminum vs plastic) I went with the MacBook Pro. :)

8. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

If you wanna learn motion u HAVE to get the Macbook Pro because Motion will not run at all on the Macbook.

9. Genoa12 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry to go off but since you guys aanswered my questions i might as well as a new one. Which final cut should i get, i dont understand what comes with what this being my first mac and all. Does motion come with final cut, and is final cut express all i need or do i need studio or something D:

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd get the MBP. While the differences seem small and not worth the price difference to many people, the difference between the 2 models for people who actually do video or photo work may be significant. I mean, many people will tell you that ther resolution and video card aren't significant enough differences to pay an extra $500 or whatever (sorry, I don't know American pricing) isn't worth it, but it truly is for those people who need it. In fact, a screen with the same res as the 13.3" MB may make it unbearable and useless to the user.