What monitor to buy!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Makyz, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Makyz macrumors newbie

I just recieved my 12 inch power book, upped the ram, and 80 gb for school, light web design and photo editting.

The problem is due to some unforseen circumstances my home PC has been given away....
    and now im stuck without a large screen when i need to edit and build sites for a long period of time.

So i decided to buy a monitor, for my little ole 12in powerbook and hope it doesnt explode from stress.

What should I buy though, I was looking at the VERY nice cinema displays that apple seells, but they are sooooo expensive

Are there any alternatives? i dont mind if its LCD or CRT i just want a great monitor for design to hook my laptop to..

any advice is appeciated!

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    im using a Sony G520, it's really nice and crisp, here at work... at home I had a Viewsonic PS790

3. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Get a Dell, Dude

DEll FP1901. 19" of beautiful realestate. DVI plus 5 USB 2.0 ports. Zero dead pixels. Cheap when you get it on sale at the Dell Small Business site....on sale about once a month. $519 to my door. Did I mention that it looks GREAT. Slim black bezel with four small buttons. I love mine.

4. tiktokfx macrumors regular

I can't recommend NEC/Mitsubishi tubes highly enough.

I have a pair of NEC FE771SB 17" crts at home and a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB at the office. They're absolutely gorgeous, and as with all CRTs you'll get much higher resolution for your money. The FE771SBs will go up to 1600x1200 (yes, legibly!) and the Mitsu 930SB will do 1920x1440. Dell tends to have the best prices on them; Don't know what the current price is on the 771s but they were $180 a piece, including shipping, when I got them this summer and the 930SB was purchased in the last week, $300 including shipping.

Just got my own 12" PB too :D

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Since you design for the web, and not so much for print, color accuracy isn't quite as important, as everyone has different settings for their monitors. I think, though, we could give you better suggestions if you gave us a budget to work with. If desk space is limited, go for an LCD, if you have a strong desk, and plenty of room, get a nice CRT like the NEC/Mistu ones tiktokfx seems to adore.

6. tiktokfx macrumors regular

To follow up on that, I mistyped; the NECs I have are FE791SBs and not 771s. 771s have a max res of 1280x1024 I believe, but are $20-40 cheaper than 791s going by what I remember.

For an example of the desk space they take up, here's a pic (bad quality webcam shot from when I first got them.) The bigger one is a 5 year old laCie electronBlue 19" (also a Mitsubishi tube).

[​IMG]

7. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Well you can probably get an old CRT for a good price. If you go LCD, look for something that has a good contrast ration of 500:1 or better. Low contrast doesn't represent the colors as accurately.

8. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Old CRTs are really a horrible deal compared to new ones. I'd never recomment buying a used one unless someone only wanted to spend $20-30. Warranties and superior quality are well worth the negligable cost of a new CRT, whatever the brand.

9. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Well an old Sony Trinitron montior is still going for $400 to $500.. For the really good ones.. Which are still good. My Apple 21" studio display is awesome.....

10. tiktokfx macrumors regular

The only used Sony monitors worth $400+ are the widescreen 24"s, considering you can get brand new, topline 19"s for $225-300, and 22"s for $520.

I guarantee that the most expensive new CRTs will beat any used CRT in quality, and generally, unless someone's taking a dive on the price just to offload them, people with used CRTs will charge more than they're worth.

11. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Well then I stand corrected.. I don't disagree the the new ones will be better, but just how much better is the question. It was a suggestion so the guy wouldn't have to spend a lot of money, but he could still have a large screen.