what more could go wrong?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by celebrian23, Jun 28, 2006.

1. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Gosh I am having such a bad week.

First, at my 18th birthday party everyone has to leave early except for one person and my best friend who was going to stay over decided to go home just because my dvd player wouldn't work.

Secondly, my dad yells at me because I won't take my mbp to his house. He doesn't have a wireless connection, so why would I?

Thirdly, my dad says that I might not be able to go to college for a year because we don't have enough money even though I've already accepted their offer of accpetance and I'm signed up for orientation

Fourthly, my dad says if I wanted to go to this college, I shouldn't have asked for an mbp for my graduation present. I don't want this computer anymore, it's causing too many family problems. If I had known he would harass me about it all the time I just wouldn't have gotten a computer.

Fifthly, he says the college I want to go to is too hard and I'll just flunk out (he wanted me to go to his university). He's also peeved I have loans. I'm pretty much going to my dream school, and I decided the cons outweighed the pros. My dad is always saying hhow immature I am and now irresponsible I am with my money (I save everything.)

The fact my parents are newly divorced doesn't help. For example, dad wanted me to apply for a job. I can't drive (vision). My mom said no one could pick me up. So I don't apply, seeing my mom's point. Dad is very mad at me now. I only make $65 babysitting for my neighbor a week. I feel caught in the middle of everything.

Oh, and my stinking college put me in a single. I'm a little shy and I wanted a double :(. Plus I have forms I'm turning in late, and I'm sure I did horrible on my math placement exaam (it was only through pre-calc and I've been through calc but i felt utterly lost)

Sorry I just had to get it out! And I thought that family life was less stressful than 5 AP classes..I was wrong :(

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

1. Ignore your parents totally (its what i do)
    2. Go to the college of your choice
    3. Get a job (I didn't have a car for my first job of 5 years, i walked to it)
    4. Get a car only when you absolutely need it (i didn't have a car for my first year of college) Glasses, or surgery will help with this
    5. **** your parents, ignore them (I pay for college myself, so once you get your job you should be able to pay for college as well)

Things will get better.

6. Give me your MBP and i will give you my PB

And remember, this is assuming you are in the US, you are a legal adult now.

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Your father is taking the divorce out on you. Just want to make that clear. IT's not your fault, and it shouldn't be something that you should feel guilty for.

If vision is your problem (that is, if you're not completely blind), where are your glasses or contacts? Ever thought of Lasik?

Start planning to make your life better without him.

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Well i can tell you that you are facing some small problems but they are problems. Try to stay clam and be respectfull towards your parents no matter what. Always try to do the right thing, try to help your folks around teh house more and get a job. Dont be late, be nice to your boss and tr to do you best. You dont need a car to get to work, walk, ride a bike or use a bus.

Things will get better, they always do.

5. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I have contacts, but their not strong enough. I'm having custom made ones, but until then, I can't get my license as I won't pay the eye test (I have to go to a special center for eye testing for people who don't see well for driver's tests)

Also, I can't walk or ride my bike to work- there's few businesses here close enough that I haven't already tried (I was fired last year at the best possible place). Not giving excuses, it's just I don't live in the best location for finding teenger work

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sorry to hear it's been such a bad period of time for you. I agree with the posts saying your dad (and perhaps your mother a little bit) are letting their personal frustrations over the divorce impact their relationship with you. It's too bad they can't be more supportive if you at such a critical time.

But you also have to cut them some slack - they're going through a very difficult emotional time as well. It doesn't give them the right to be dismissive to your needs or dreams, but it will impact their ability to be emotionally supportive.

As for being in a single - sometimes that's the best thing, even if you are shy. Having a roommate isn't always going to be like "Friends". Sometime it's more like Single White Female.

7. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

The summer is short maybe you should be looking at applying to a job on your college campus or near it since it sounds like you'll be living on campus. The single room should be easy to work out normally there are people who are in the opposite boat as you and got a double room when they wanted a single. Just get intouch with housing.

Bad dorm experience?

8. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

The single situation usually wouldn't bother me- it's just one more thing to deal with when I'm already pretty stressed out. The problem with the single is mostly it's an added 900 a year- quite a bit.

9. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

What college are we talking about? just wondering.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

That is a bummer about the cost. Tanglewood's suggestion to contact the housing department seems like a good idea.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Your parents might be genuinely worried about money - hence why saying about the MBP and waiting for a year. Getting divorced is expensive - even if it's amicable, there are two households to set up on the same amount of cash and your parents are likely to be stressed about that.

Your parents bought you your MBP; why wouldn't you take it over to your Dad's and let him see it. Just because he doesn't have wireless doesn't mean that he's not interested or you couldn't show him it. It's not like he's asking you to lug a Powermac over there; he might have just been trying to show some interest in your item and get to see you since it sounds like you're living with your mom.

You save everything but you have loans? Perhaps your dad is just worried that you get in over your head and he won't be able to bail you out. You're already stressed by a pre-calc test; if that's tough, then who knows how you'll react to exams. It's your 'dream' school but why? Are you confident that environment will help you to succeed or do you just hope that it will?

12. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

the college is Case Western in Cleveland

I'm calling housing tomorrow. they said they won't change anything until 3 weeks into the school year, but it's worth a shot

I've taken the mbp to his house, but I'm not lugging it there if I don't have to most days when I only see him for 3 hours. I just take it on occaison. I know money is of concern, but he shouldn't haqve offerred to buy it if he couldn't afford it. I'm a naturaly stressed person- it's just my personality. the pre-calc wasn't impossible, but i'm a year out of daily practice

13. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

First off did you request a double? If you did this might give you some leverage when talking to the housing office because $900 difference is big. The first 3 weeks is when a lot of the social bonding with new students/roommates takes place so if you can switch to a double before the semester starts it would be better for you socially since you're a shy person. Though a single isn't the end of the world either it just means you'll have to try to be more out going instead of just retreating to your room.

If you took 5 APs how did you do on the tests? I personally found that the GE courses at my college were actually easier than the AP courses that I took in high school.

14. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

You can't request doubles, only singles. Oh well. I can't do anything to change the fact right now. That'll have to wait until tomorrow.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Few thoughts.
    1) Don't worry about being in a single, there is still plenty of ways to meet people. Freshman year they force you to make friends. Plus there is always joining a frat. If your dad was a member try to join the same one :)

2) Driving laws vary wildly by state, but... licensed in one is licensed in all. :) Get a new friend to take you for the test in Ohio. I've even read stories about people flying to the US from Japan to get an international motorcycle license. (No cc limit like the typical ones in Japan, licenses for large bikes require $$$ plus passing a complicated difficult test, drive a balance beam, lay the bike down and then get the thing back up, etc.)

edit:
    CWRU is a good school. I remember when we shut them out in football.