What more do you want from your iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by big, Sep 13, 2002.

1. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    Just sitting in the Garage listening to some koo grooves, and started thinking what I like & disliked about the new 1.2 software and was thinking how to improve it (other features etc...) any suggestions?
  2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    an equalizer that actually did something....

other than that, im pretty content with my little white slab. ;)
  3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    huge speaker support :p lol

maybe being compatible with new formats of music files, ie crappy wma
    mac os 10.2.x included on the ipod drive ;) jk
    im not too sure
  4. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    haha, more games maybe?? An IRDA port (for waht i dont know) and maybe an apple branded firewire keyboard for typeing in adresses on the go?
  5. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    The ability to input information for your contacts and date book....hehehe.....give me a pda

DON'T FLAME ME! That's all I want....
  6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    dont worry, no flaming here. I was the no so proud poster of an apple pda THREAD and got flamed badly. But i leaned real quick (i had about 10 posts at the time) and its all cool.
  7. big thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    koo- I would love to see mo' games, tertis, tank game etc....

also, the ability to backtrack real quick...
  8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    games would be cool...but I have to wait for my iPod before I say anymore...I've ordered it and have been waiting for a bit...
  9. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    How about a driving game? use the wheel for steering and the left and right buttons for brake and gas.
  10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Tetris would be cool, but I think it would eat up battery power, especially when you get lots of tiles building up.

I would like to have a custom Equalizer (in other words, I could create the settings for each Hz level). I would like to see an option in Settings as follows:

Custom Equalizer
    >Create New Equalizer?
    (Yes goes to the custom equalizer creator screen. No acts as a cancel. Edit: Adjust the settings for a previously created equalizer.)

>>(Yes) Use the scroll wheel to move each frequency dial up/down, and use the left/right buttons on the iPod to scroll through the frequencies. (The center button acts as a right button.) Hit the menu button to cancel. Press the center button/right button at the 16K frequency dial (or the play/pause button anywhere) to go to the name select. Scroll through the various letters using the scroll wheel and use the buttons as before to move through the different letters/numbers/symbols. Press play/pause to go to the confirmation menu, as I have attached as Fig. A. Pressing Menu or selecting No goes back to the dial settings (starting at 32). Selecting Yes creates the new Equalizer and places a reference in the Equalizer menu.

>>(Edit) Scroll to the name of a custom EQ, with the settings displayed with whatever name is selected, as in Fig. B.

BTW: I'm thinking of sending this to Apple. Is there anything the looks to be in need of improvement? And how would I attach an image?

Attached Files:

• ce1.jpg
      File size:
      30 KB
  11. Quark macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    1) AAC compatibility

2) Customizable EQ

3) display the groups for contacts

12. big thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
  13. ponyboy macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2002
    SLC UT/Italy
    The ability to turn OFF the clock and calander function. I listen to my ipod for about 2 hours on the way to work with a full charge then I am in the mountains for a week and when I come out for the drive home I have zero music cause the ipod is dead as a doornail.
  14. kishba macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2001
    hmm... there's one game i've always thought would be perfect on the ipod... it's my absolute favorite game in the whole world (halo is nothing compared to it ;))

asteroids.... !!! :)
  15. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2001
    10 Minutes from Disneyland
    editing the little thing on the go...

1) erasing music without the help of a computer
    2) edit/add contacts
    3) edit calendar

if these things are on there i want to be able to edit them on the go...
  16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    waht about my idea for a firewire keyboard so you can edit all this stuff like contacts and the calender, making it more like a palm (not an apple pda) in functionality, yet also haveing thousands of times the storage space.
  17. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This, IMHO, would be the cats a**.

They make a function on the iPod where you can actually view a list of data files. So, yea. there you have it. you can scroll through all of the data on your lil' guy.

So whats next you say? Ok. Apple gives us media readers. cf, smartmedia, mm card to firewire.

You plug the reader into the ipod (i'm seeing something like the Zio reader....no cable) and us digital photographers can pop our ipods in our pockets and start shooting.

Fill up the card? Just plug in the cf reader, scroll to you "pics" folder and press a button on the reader that transfers the pics to the folder.

And you can keep the music playing while transferring

As it stands now, I'm content(-ish) with carrying the Minolta DiMage 7i (a fairly largish camera....), an external flash unit, four cf cards, filters, tibook, pcmcia card reader, etc.

just mo $.02
  18. djkut macrumors member

Aug 10, 2002
    Have you tried turning off the "Alarms?" I did that and saw a large increase in battery life.
  19. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001

I'd love to be able to use iSync to backup my entire drive on my 20G iPod.
  20. BongHits macrumors regular

May 2, 2002
    the alarm!? what????
    has anyone else had trouble with their clock? mine is NEVER right no matter how often i reset it. the dates are even jacked (has the month and year correct tho, apple's genius engineering at work)
  21. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2002
    Southern California
    It'll probably never happen, but I would love to be able to transfer my songs from my Pod back to my computer or to another iPod. I don't like having a bunch of music files taking up all my drive space and theres no real easy way to backup my tunes. It would be a nightmare if something terrible happened to my Pod and I'd have to rip all my CD's again.
  22. BongHits macrumors regular

May 2, 2002
    Re: iSync!

u have a 20gb ipod but less than 20 gigs of DATA on your HD? dude...why would you buya 20 gb ipod without anywhere near enoug music to put on it...which is why i have no problem with my rev a ipod...it may not be as big as yours but it does what i need it to do, and i can carry nearly my entire music collection with me (short of 3-4 gigs of music i rarely listen too ne way)
  23. big thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    i totally didnt see apple releasing an iPod greater than 5 gig for awhile when I got mine....

I so wish I had known... I am always filling mine up with data transfer or music
  24. oliverlubin macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    what id like...

1. bookmarking (would be so key for audio book listeners)
    2. custom EQ like everyone is suggesting
    3. create playlist ability. it seems like it would be really easy to use the scroll wheel to scroll through the alphabet and the right and left to move around when "naming" a playlist.
    4. queue list. queue up songs in a song "queue" playlist. ability to then delete a song if you wanted to.
    5. [edit...forgot one] AAC support ... this is obviously coming somewhere down the line with apple pushing QT6 and AAC ... it will happen when iTunes can encode AAC.

those few things i think would make me VERY happy...
  25. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    That's why BongHits. BTW - I don't have an iPod. I was speaking theoretically.