What mouse do I buy for my PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by m_melugin, Aug 10, 2005.

1. m_melugin macrumors newbie

Mar 9, 2005
    Next week I'll be purchasing my dream machine: a 17-inch, 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook. This post has nothing to do with purchasing the PowerBook (I just wanted to brag)--my reason for posting is to ask what kind of mouse I should get for my PowerBook.

Should I go the way of bluetooth or should I stick with a corded mouse? I've heard that when using bluetooth mice, you may experience lag. If I do decide to buy a bluetooth mouse, should I buy Apple's or a third-party's? If I choose to stick with a cord, I would really love to have the new Mighty Mouse, but I'm afraid that it'll look better than it functions. Have any of you used the mouse? How does it feel? Does it work well? I'll have to try one out at the Apple Store next week when I purchase the PowerBook.

Any suggestions you may have would be helpful. By-the-way, I am a web and graphic designer, so I need a mouse that is well-suited for working in Photoshop.

Thanks again.
  2. drison macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2005
    I have this mouse and love it. It isn't BT and requires the included usb dongle but it tracks very nice on my PB 1.33 and feels equally as nice.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    I reckon this guy looks pretty cool. Don't have it but considering it for on the road. I currently use the apple BT mouse and love it. Use it for all my day to day business and never noticed any lag. I use a wired multi button if I need to game (not that I do that much anyway)!

But I'd suggest you try them out. I think choosing mice is like underwear. Everyone has a preference.
  4. tykles macrumors member

Dec 12, 2004
    I have this one.. Pros: TINY. charges over separate USB cable. very portable. Cons: TINY!! so small that it gets uncomfortable to game with. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably get the Logitech 900 or whatever the full size BT one is- I love that form factor, and I can't say I love the tiny mouse thing.
  5. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2005
    After some careful thought and consideration I bought a Logitech MX 510. It's a corded optical mouse with 8 buttons that I snagged for $29 CAD (What an awesome deal!). It has 8 buttons. I've mapped the "switch applications" button to Dashboard, the "scan up" button to Expose's "all windows"

At first I was set on purchasing one of those ultra portable wireless optical mice for laptops that came with those little usb dongles recievers but then it occured to me that I'd much rather have a corded mouse to use at home. Why? Because I don't think the hassle of using those little mice is worth it. They're expensive, too small and uncomfortable, they don't have as many buttons, and they're not as responsive.

All things aside if you really feel the need to purchase an ultra portable wireless mouse then go ahead. Just make sure you'll actually get to use it. I'm a student and when I go to lectures there really isn't much room for me to use a mouse.. I'm fine with using the trackpad on the go.
  6. Bottle*nut! macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2005
    I like the Logitech mouse as well. I have the MX500, a virtual clone to the MX510 but in a black-gray finish. It's fully programmable for Mac-ers, and incredibly comfortable (for right-handers). Logitech offers full downloads and compatibility for Tiger users, incidentally. Overall, a great all-round mouse, including gaming. ... For a dedicated gaming mouse, snap up the MX518 though.
  7. CJLevinsk22 macrumors member

Jul 31, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH

I'm currently looking at one of these from MacMice. They look pretty nice--two buttons, a scroll wheel, and BlueTooth! Plus, the two colors are supposed to match both the PowerBook and iBook! The company also sells a USB version of the mouse. What do you guys think?

8. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
    I actually was looking into MacMice too, I asked these guys for advice and the majority said, it's not that great of a mouse. I was leaning towards it because of the Aluminum color to match my PB, but I was told it was very cheap looking and feeling. I ended up going with an Apple Bluetooth mouse & keyboard, and I love it! I hope this has helped.
  9. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    When I first got my PB, I got an Apple BT mouse, which I really liked a lot. Responsive, good battery life, all that. Then, one day, they replaced the standard Apple mouse I'd been using at work with a MacAlly three button scroll mouse, and I became addicted to that scroll wheel. I ended up getting the Radtech BT500 mini BT mouse (3 button w/scroll) for my PB. It is light, acccurate, and takes up next to no space on a desktop. Eats up batteries, though.
    Love going cordless. Love not having to plug a dongle into a port to use a mouse. Hate going through batteries faster than a lonely housewife.
    Currently I use the Radtech mouse at home while surfing in bed, and I'm using an Evoluent Vertical mouse on my PB at work, due to a little RSI, which is really under control now that I'm using this mouse.
  10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I have the same mouse. It's my main mouse, and I use it several hours a day. It's pretty comfortable and tracks well, but it often misses clicks, which can be VERY annoying. The battery life is pretty long (I leave it on all the time), but I use rechargeables anyway. All in all, I can't say I recommend it for every day use. I think a corded mouse would be better (no missed clicks), but if you want wireless, get a Bluetooth mouse so that you don't have to have a dongle.
  11. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Mighty MOUSE would be my choice but if your arm get tried you may not want it other then that i use an apple 1 button mouse or some 2 button logitech( nic ebut apples mouses are better)
  12. zeeko macrumors member

Jul 15, 2005
    don't get bluetooth, it eats your battery like crazy and is more expensive, i got the benq m310 wireless notebook mouse. i will write a review when i get it, but its small and the usb dongle fits right into the mouse when you're not using it, and it uses replacable/rechargable AAA batteries not some crappy li-ion battery that you need a cradle for.
  13. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT

Totally agree. I love my Logitech MX500. It's corded, but doesn't bother me. It's so comfortable, love the scroll wheel. Great for word processing, applics, games, and almost everything...:D

Don't get the Mighty Mouse...
  14. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    Bluetooth apple mouse is pretty good. No lag in my experience with using one. :)
  15. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    I've never understood the need to buy a mouse for a laptop! IMO the trackpad on the powerbooks is excellent. If you're a designer you could consider a graphics tablet - Wacom seems to be a popular brand.
  16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I've been thinking of going wireless for a while now. I've got the regular wired Apple mouse so I have no qualms with not having a scroll wheel or second button. However, how long do the batteries last for a relatively heavy user?

Also, how about the wireless keyboard, same question? Thanks, and sorry for being slightly off topic. :eek:

Didn't anyone else pick this up? :D
  17. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice quote ;-)

I have both the BT Apple Mouse & Keyboard plus the Might Mouse.
    I use the Might mouse and keyboard on my iMac and the BT Apple Mouse with my PB 15".

The might mouse is very nice, though I have to admit I would have preferred it if it was BT and will buy a BT version in a heartbeat when it finally appears.
    Provided you use the more expensive lithium batteries (which they come supplied with initially) rather than standard alkaline batteries the Apple BT keyboard and Mouse last for 2-3 months+ on heavy usage. Put alkaline batteries in and that becomes 2-3 weeks! Okay, a little exaggerated but you get the drift.

Personally I have never noticed this "lag" issue that people talk about and I use my mouse for photoshop work quiet extensively with no issues. Not saying there isn't a lag, just that I have not noticed it, so I assume if it IS real, it's pretty subtle.

I would go BT all the way, once you lose the wires you never really want to go back. I only made an exception for the Might Mouse as I always go a little goofy when a new Apple product comes out.

18. The_Man macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2005
    What does everyone think about this mouse. (see attachment)
    It seems like a perfect mouse, simple, not too big, not too small. It comes in White, Black, and Silver.
    Here is a link to the silver one I found, which I think would look good with a PowerBook

Has anyone ever used this mouse, is it fairly responisve?

Attached Files:

19. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    Not sure how it is for intensive graphic design work but I just use a regular Apple USB mouse and like it a lot.
  20. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I consider mice from Logitech to be decent products. I have used their mice for a long time and have not had many major problems. There driver support is nice for OS X as well. I here great things about the 500 series mice and the 900 series as well.
    Personally I use a wireless Logitech mouse that came as a keyboard combo. Funny thing about the mouse is that it uses a trackball. I know you are thinking "wtf," but it is a great mouse. I've had it for over a year and only replaced the batteries twice. Makes since because the mouse doesn't have to power the optics for tracking, just the transmitter.
  21. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    I use a MacAlly BTJR. The solution to all wireless batteries is: rechargeable batteries. Not only are they better for the environment, they last significantly longer in my BT mouse than trad. AAs. You can pick up a great set for less than $20. A far better investment than regular AAs.

These are the batteries that I have. They are 2000mAh, and last me about 2.5 weeks per set. This particular charger takes only 90 minutes! (mine takes me 8hrs :( ) They are great batteries, and a great investment.
    I did. :p :D
  22. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Congrats, you are gonna love it... :D
  23. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    Yeah that one looks really good. I've been looking for a mouse with all the features of this one (bluetooth with backup usb wire, rechargeable batteries, on/off switch, two buttons + scroll wheel). However, this one might be a little small. I'm sort of worried about carpel tunnel since I've been using computers for a long time, and am planning to continue to do so. I've narrowed my list down to the following:

Macmice Mouse BT (Looks good on paper, but heard bad things)
    Macally BT Mouse (Not out yet. When's it coming?)
    Bluetake BT510

Or I might just go with the mini iogear mouse since I use a wired one of those now, and its not too bad. I just don't know about the long run.
  24. S14-Racer macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2005
    The only thing I have found with rechargables, is that my BT apple mouse doesnt like them! 1600's 1800's 2k's, doesn't matter. The only thing I havent tried is charging them up on my programable battery charger, or should I say overcharging them, to give them the 1.5+ v as found in an alkaline. I think this is because the NiMH run 1.2v...

But my logitech 900 BT loves the NiMH betteries. I currently use the ic3 batteries from Radio Shack. They are steep at 24.00 for 4 IIRC (might be more) but they hold 2k mah, and with the charger they charge in 15 minutes for 4.

I have the BT apple, the BT logitech, the BT apple keyboard, and an Intuos 2 Wacom Tablet (today is actually the first time using it on a powerbook but Im really digging it, also havent used it in a month so mabey thats why.).

The apple mouse is relatively light and decently responsive. The things I dont like are that it doesnt like NiMH rechargeable batteries, and the fact I have to buy the expensive lithium to get a decent life. It fits well though, and has pressure sensitivity and an on / off switch.

The 900 is even heavier then the apple mouse, which I don't like. The extra buttons are a big plus, as well as being able to stuff the ultra quick charging RS batteries in it. It is also a little on the large side, and does not have a on / off switch, both of which requires extra space (size and at least one battery out).

For design work i really dont prefer either mouse though. I mainly use the apple mouse due to its light weight, but also wish i had the scroll whell and extra buttons. The added weight of the batteries and BT really does make a difference, despite what some may say. I find that it causes more drag on any surface and is less accurate to that simple fact alone.

There's nothing really to be said about a multi hundred dollar Wacom now is there though :) It has a long enough cable (and now the I3 comes in BT IIRC!) so that I can sit the PB on my coffee table and use the pen or mouse to navigate while Im sitting deep into my couch, which by the way, I am just experiencing tonight :) . if you use it with the pen its dead on accurate and no mouse could ever touch its editing abilities! Due to the cord, I can sit back and also have an always ready mouse pad for the mouse. Plus the mouse is just dead on as well, you have the mobility without cord drag like a BT, but the weight, or less then that, of a corded mouse. This coupled with the BT keyboard is both pure efficiency and laziness :)

Thats my .02

OT but it gives a whole new element to game play using the tablet + Pen , in a fast fps like CS or UT... I played this way, way back, in CS for a week solid. It was a trip to own people, then say Im using a tablet and pen haha.
  25. Yoyodyne macrumors member

Jul 30, 2005
    Here's another vote for the Logitech Mx510. I use it for my desktop and laptop. If you don't mind plugging up one of your USB ports, you really can't beat its value.