what mouse do you like best?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by chrisfx811, Dec 4, 2002.

1. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    i currently still use the white optical apple mouse, and was wondering what 3rd party mice with scroll wheels/track balls are worth considering?
    when are more buttons too much?
    scroll wheels or track balls?
    certain brands better/ more reliable?
    if it's only right handed that's ok , because that's the only way i use mine. thx for all the help
  2. Draft macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Logitech just came out with their MX series mice. They should be better then the microsoft intellimice. Plus they have more buttons! Dealmac.com has advertised a price of $43 for the MX 700, the rechargable cordless optical mouse. Sweet deal!

I personally have a 5-button intellimouse explorer. I love it! I game a lot, so I like the extra buttons. If you don't require all sorts of buttons, take a look at the 3-button logitech iFeel, wheel mouse, or the mx 300. They are all about the same mouse, with a little different feel.

Also, go to the store and try them out before you get one. Certain people like certain things in mice. You might like something completely different.

3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    WACOM tab....... it's the only way to go!! Makes all mouses seem totally obsolete!!
  4. chrisfx811 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    i did see the wacom tablet at compusa for like 99 bucks. it looked kinda cool, maybe would be fun for messin around in iphoto. i mainly want a scrollwheel, because using the sidebars is very slow in chimera 0.6.
    also i saw the new wireless intellimouse and liked the idea of the 2 integrated fwd and back buttons.
    don't know if i need the cordless mouse until i get an ibook:D
  5. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Re: what mouse do you like best?

Call it blasphemous if you want, but I've been extremely happy with my mixrosoft optical trackball. First, I like trackballs much more than mice. I find them more precise and much mroe ergonomic (you aren't picking up the mouse every 5 seconds because you ran out of mouse pad space). I have also had a ahrd time finding a trackball that I felt was comfortable and ergonomic. Many seemed to want to bend my wrist back a bit. The model I have has two main buttons (right and left click), and then two buttons that serve as forward and back buttons for my browser (its awesome). I don't really need mroe buttons than that, though I can see the usefulness more buttons can have to some people. They have a good warranty and are very well made. its worth checking out, though they tend to be on the expensive side of the market.
  6. mc68k macrumors 68000

Apr 16, 2002
    MouseMan Optical Cordless

I'm a fan of cordless optical mice, since I use my computer from my bed at home. It's very comforatble and I like the rubber side grips. Logitech is the best name in mice, IMO. They even made Apple's first ADB mouse back in the late 80's.

Heres a picture of my mouse (it also comes in grey):

Attached Files:

• 7.gif
      File size:
      28.1 KB
  7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I love my MS itellimouse opitcal. 4 buttons plus a clickable scroll wheel and all of them on completely programmable and you have the option of global and program specific settings. :)

8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh it does much more than just iPhoto.... heh heh..... nothing comes close in terms of speed navigating around a screen!! it takes alittle getting used to, but mouses really just don't compare..... far too clunky and far too SLOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! The whole scroll wheel biz has never really bothered me, I don't spend too much time browsing so it's never been much of an issue, but I guess everybody has their own needs!!

So get a WACOM for extremely productive stuff and one of those mouses with a scroll wheel for those more peaceful moments!! ;)
  9. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    I'm all for wireless optical mice. If you're going for desktop mice, and have money to spend, then go for the Logitech MX Series (with lots of buttons, very convienent;)), or try out mice that use a "touchpad" as a scroll wheel...a nice touch IMO. Kensingtion has a mouse that uses that feature, the StudioMouse .

As for laptops, I must recommend Kensingtion mice. Check out the PocketMouse Pro and the new wireless version. The fact that the cord can retract into the mouse's body or that the wireless reciever can be tucked away in the mouse makes it perfect for traveling.

This is the mouse I am going to get, and use with my GHz powerbook. :D
  10. spinner macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2002
    South Dakota
    I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer optical mouse that I really like, very precise tracking and a SCROLL WHEEL. Before that I used a Kensington Orbit trackball. The orbit is simply awesome, it survived many hours of abuse while I played Diablo II ;)
  11. fuge macrumors member

Feb 18, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    logitech mx 500

After my rabbit chewed through my microsoft mouse in one chomp i decided to go with logitech. I can tell you that this mouse has been the best mouse ever. Good feel, plenty of buttons, programmeable, nice and smooth movement on the scree and it goes with my Tibook.

12. superkatalog macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2002

i have a quite simple logitech wheel mouse. with two buttons and, guess, a wheel! i love the scrollwheel. i will never use a mouse without it again. i my opinion two buttons are enough. can anyone who has more buttons please tell how they are assigned?
  13. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    A cardboard box.
    Kensington Optical Elite! 5 buttons, scroll wheel, great tracking, and only $30 :D

Here's the product info, and this is the review that Inside Mac Games gave it. I love this mouse, 5 buttons are great for FPS games.
  14. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i wish apple would get their booties in gear and make us wireless optical (rechargeable) 2 button mouse with scroll wheel with the same look and feel as the current pro mouse...i really love the mouse, but could use more