Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just finished The Sting (1973)

View attachment 628296

The Sting was an excellent, clever, and very entertaining movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and Paul Newman and Robert Redford worked exceedingly well together on screen, as they had earlier in Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. (Robert Shaw excelled, also). Stunning score, too.

An example of classy movie making, excellent and clever script, great score, first rate cast, meticulous setting, wonderful and delightful plot and excellent characters - the whole, put together as a movie, worked exceptionally well. Now, that is what I call a movie. (No CGI, either).

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I love it when I can find a good older movie that I've never seen.

That's why it pains me to say I was thoroughly underwhelmed when I watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" on demand this afternoon. I found neither of the two main characters likable or particularly well written. This is supposed to be a classic movie?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love it when I can find a good older movie that I've never seen.

That's why it pains me to say I was thoroughly underwhelmed when I watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" on demand this afternoon. I found neither of the two main characters likable or particularly well written. This is supposed to be a classic movie?

Based on a classic story written by the wonderful Truman Capote.

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't much care for the movie.

Whether they were well written is a subjective matter, and one open to debate, but - merely as a matter for discussion - do they have to be actually likeable in order for you - or one, anyone - to be able to enjoy the movie?

Personally, I like it when characters are rounded and nuanced.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished The Sting (1973)

View attachment 628296

Now starting The Lodger (1944)

View attachment 628297

The Sting was an excellent, clever, and very entertaining movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and Paul Newman and Robert Redford worked exceedingly well together on screen, as they had earlier in Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. (Robert Shaw excelled, also). Stunning score, too.

An example of classy movie making, excellent and clever script, great score, first rate cast, meticulous setting, wonderful and delightful plot and excellent characters - the whole, put together as a movie, worked exceptionally well. Now, that is what I call a movie. (No CGI, either).

Butch Cassidy ATSK is one of my favorite movies, lighthearted and comic, before they met the Bolivian Army. ;) While I say it was good, The Sting was not as good for me in comparison. It seemed more formulaic entertainment one of those plots where the resources to succeed seem stretched, and doubtfully everything clicked just right to pull it off. However it's been so long since I've seen it, that's just a general feeling. :oops:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Green Room

Pretty great.

Also, I just saw The Connection (La French) which was okay, but it just felt like the whole story has been done before.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
...merely as a matter for discussion - do they have to be actually likeable in order for you - or one, anyone - to be able to enjoy the movie?
No, not completely. But they have to have some characteristics with which the viewer can identify.

I know it's heresy for fans of the story, but I found Holly annoying and Paul bland. I imagine they were going for charming and bemused, respectively, but to me they missed by a lot. George Peppard seems to be phoning in the majority of his role, so his transformation from shallow person to man in love isn't entirely effective. And Holly's own transformation is too sudden to be convincing.

For my money the best character in the movie was Buddy Ebsen as Holly's ex. Patricia Neal was pretty good too.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No, not completely. But they have to have some characteristics with which the viewer can identify.

I know it's heresy for fans of the story, but I found Holly annoying and Paul bland. I imagine they were going for charming and bemused, respectively, but to me they missed by a lot. George Peppard seems to be phoning in the majority of his role, so his transformation from shallow person to man in love isn't entirely effective. And Holly's own transformation is too sudden to be convincing.

For my money the best character in the movie was Buddy Ebsen as Holly's ex. Patricia Neal was pretty good too.

Fair comment. I was raising the subject of 'likeability' in general as a desirable trait in characters (something I see in US movies), rather than specifically in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Now, George Peppard is an interesting case in point. My mother adored him - not as an actor, but as an attractive man - but I find myself in agreement with you that his acting skills leave quite a bit to be desired.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ice Station Zebra (1968)
USN nuclear sub USS Tigerfish must rush to the North Pole to rescue the staff of Drift Ice Station Zebra weather station.

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 11.00.04 AM.png

Reactions: D.T.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Going to watch Captain America: Civil War in about 15 minutes. The most highly anticipated movie for me in 2016. See what the big fuss is all about. Hope Team Iron Man kicks butt and watch the best film version of Spider-Man of all-time. Can't wait... Tick tock.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Funny Girl (1968)
The life of Fanny Brice, famed comedienne and entertainer of the early-1900s. We see her rise to fame as a Ziegfield girl, subsequent career and her personal life, particularly her relationship with Nick Arnstein.

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 6.36.55 PM.png

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
As a huge fan of Ricky Gervais, I've been waiting a while for this:

Special_Correspondents_poster.png

It seems to be receiving terrible critical reviews, so that just made me more impatient to view it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
1) Maiming
2) Killing
3) Exploding Headz
4) Fantasy Heros
5) Snuff

Those are titles of movies?
I imagine that's what he is seeing in his movies or this is a critique of some kind. :p
[doublepost=1462029432][/doublepost]
The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965)

View attachment 629328

I forget, did that movie touch on atheism or gayness on behalf of the artist? I'm thinking based on when it was made unlikely.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Gaslight (1944)
Years after her aunt was murdered in her home, a young woman moves back into the house with her new husband. However, he has a secret that he will do anything to protect, even if it means driving his wife insane.

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 5.06.49 PM.png

Also watched a couple of other movies today...

Young Frankenstein (1974)
An American grandson of the infamous scientist, struggling to prove that he is not as insane as people believe, is invited to Transylvania, where he discovers the process that reanimates a dead body.

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 5.08.29 PM.png

Cruel Intentions (1999)
Two wealthy step-siblings of an elite Manhattan prep school make a wager: to de-flower the new headmaster's daughter before the start of term.
Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 5.09.51 PM.png

Reactions: Spencerdl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.