Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
^ That's awful.

I am making my way through one of my favorite Shaw Brothers films from the weapons perspective: The Deadly Breaking Sword (1979). I know this isn't the best film Sun Chung, Ti Lung,Chan Wai Man and choreographer Tong Gai made together, but for some reason it remains their collaboration I am most fond of. Probably because of the super villain aspect of the baddie and just how nuts the title character is (this finally occurred to me during these viewings). The more I think about it, the more I am convinced this was a test run for Sun Chung's wonderfully horrid Human Lanterns (1982) insofar as how awful and selfish people can be to each other.

Reactions: D.T.

Robotchilli

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2015
UK
Watched "Money Monster" last night with George Clooney and Julia Roberts, directed by Jodie Foster. Was very pleasantly surprised after getting over how cheesy GC was in his character. Recommended!

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

KungFuHustleHKposter.jpg

lol. i've enjoyed this one. some bits are too slap stick/roadrunner vs coyote but i've still enjoyed it.

Reactions: circatee

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
KungFuHustleHKposter.jpg

lol. i've enjoyed this one. some bits are too slap stick/roadrunner vs coyote but i've still enjoyed it.
Despite the great Yuen Wah as landlord who deserved his award for this, I am not a fan of Stephen Chow. You'd think with my love of Looney Toons and such, this would be a no brainer but I have very little patience for his works.

[doublepost=1475592474][/doublepost]
You crack me up :)
Mission accomplished! :p

Reactions: pachyderm

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Despite the great Yuen Wah as landlord who deserved his award for this, I am not a fan of Stephen Chow. You'd think with my love of Looney Toons and such, this would be a no brainer but I have very little patience for his works.

[doublepost=1475592474][/doublepost]
Mission accomplished! :p

I really want to see Human Lanterns, that you've mentioned a few times, doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere, available on DVD from Amazon for like $8.

Reactions: twietee

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I really want to see Human Lanterns, that you've mentioned a few times, doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere, available on DVD from Amazon for like $8.

Actually, you can rent Human Lanterns from iTunes either in SD or HD; just look up the title. Celestial are a little slow in updating the available links and such at the shawbrothersuniverse.com site.

Human Lanterns is one of those Asian horror films that gets mentioned a lot. It's a horror wuxia "Keeping up with the Joneses" (or Tans as it were here). It's a nasty little movie in all the right ways. It earns its reputation, though I think Sun Chung went even farther with The Master Strikes Back (insofar as how awful people can be to each other etc.) It's a solid horror movie too with some unintentional laughs thrown in as a bonus.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Took the wife and kids to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Was a really good movie that the whole family loved. My kids 12 and 8 both said it's up there as one of their favorite movies.

There were some parts that could have been hashed out a bit better, but I think it was more of trying to squeeze a book into a movie and something has to be left on the editing floor.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Took the wife and kids to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
There were some parts that could have been hashed out a bit better, but I think it was more of trying to squeeze a book into a movie and something has to be left on the editing floor.
Have you read the book?

We saw the previews, and this is one I want to see.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Have you read the book?

I haven't read the books yet. Have it on my kindle, but it's about 6th or 7th down my list to read. I wanted to read them before we saw it, just haven't had my chance to read lately with all the other bits of life going on.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden Flower directed by Zhang Yimou are two of my favorites. Great cinematography and costumes. They are on par with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon IMO. A funny one I also liked but of lower quality is Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame.

Last edited:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Have you read the book?

I haven't read the books yet. Have it on my kindle, but it's about 6th or 7th down my list to read. I wanted to read them before we saw it, just haven't had my chance to read lately with all the other bits of life going on.

My wife and oldest son went to see it because they have read the book. My wife said the first 75% of the movie is straight out of the book, but the last 25% of the movie is totally different. She didn't like the change, but my son did.

Reactions: pachyderm

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Watching WarGames (an annual event, usually). I think I didn't watch it last year. Anyway I had forgotten how good some of the lines are. I mean even if you never heard of the film, you get hooked early on. Like when the kid has socially engineered his way into the computer and he's trying to explain why he's logged in after the computer had apparently been informed the owner of the login name was dead.

(the text to sound function has been turned on):

Kid: Well... people make mistakes.

Computer (little pause, then ominously): Yes...They...Do.

Oh yeah. Gotta love this movie.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Watching WarGames (an annual event, usually). I think I didn't watch it last year. Anyway I had forgotten how good some of the lines are. I mean even if you never heard of the film, you get hooked early on. Like when the kid has socially engineered his way into the computer and he's trying to explain why he's logged in after the computer had apparently been informed the owner of the login name was dead.

(the text to sound function has been turned on):

Kid: Well... people make mistakes.

Computer (little pause, then ominously): Yes...They...Do.

Oh yeah. Gotta love this movie.
Do you want to play a game?
Yes Thermal global nuclear war.
You wouldn't prefer a nice game of tick tack toe?
No

Haven't seen that one in years.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Yeah, WarGames is a great movie (scary...) I also have not seen it in years.

Shaolin Temple (1976) My favorite Chang Cheh Shaolin movie and the end fight is ridiculously epic pulling in 3 waves of SB stars (from Ti Lung and David Chiang to Fu Sheng and the then incoming Venoms). Great movie. Deserves blu ray treatment yesterday (and so awesome to see Ti Lung practicing and delivering real Wing Chun techniques).

The Avenging Eagle (1978) Finally watched an uncut version (there's a minute of decayed footage in the end fight that Celestial cut when they released this on dvd over a decade ago) and boy that footage is fantastic. Just the crazy bits Ti Lung does with the metal three section staff is worth watching that footage for. Great movie. Another one that needs blu ray.

Next up: watching Judgement of An Assassin from the Weapons perspective (this is the monthly theme at the kung fu board I belong to) so lots of different ways to clobber your adversary (though I hope I can sneak Tombstone crushing kick even if it isn't using a weapon).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.