what multifunction printer compatible with airport?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phs, Nov 12, 2004.

1. phs macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2004
    Paris, France
    What a disappointment... I'm just back from the electronics store where I wanted to buy a multifunction printer I could share via my brand new Airport extreme station, using the USB connection. However, when I asked the salesguy whether the HP PSC 2355 that caught my fancy was compatible with the Airport station, he said no. "No multifunction printer is really compatible with the Airport, only standard USB printers are." Is that true? I dared not risk buying anything but what can I do now? What printer do *you* use with your Airport?
  2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    My understanding is that most USB multifunction machines will print, but it's hard to do anything else with them (fax/scan) since that is not a normally networked feature. I agree that it would be nice to have a networkable multifunction machine where all functions worked properly. I just don't know if anyone has made that possible in software.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    The Brother 8840DN is kind of pricey, and not a USB printer, but it will work through your Airport's LAN port. And really you don't need the D portion, you can save about $100 that way. Still puts the printer at about $400 though.

We got one at my work and it's a very nice machine.
  4. Blurb macrumors member

May 7, 2004
    I use the HP PSC 2210 multifunction via the USB/Airport without a problem. Granted, I don't use it to fax from my imac or ibook or PB, because I use the built-in fax with Panther. My PSC 2210 receives incoming faxes and prints them out directly (not rec'd to the computer, per my own preference settings).

Seems to me the important issue with the model you mentioned still comes down to having the right driver. Other than that, it works!
  5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, the real problem is that on a network it doesn't know which computer to direct the fax or scan to, so the functionality is a bit limited. Check HPs website, and read up on the manuals, though. I looked at the 30x0 laser printers, and they can fax/print/scan on a network, although it's not as fully functional as if connected by USB.
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    My parents have a brother MFC-3100C, and it wasn't on the airport support list, but when I installed the CUPS drivers, I could see all of its functions over airport. But I don't remember that I actually scanned anything with it. It was in the menus though.

Like Mactastic said, if you go with an ethernetted multifunction, it's probably safer yet....