What new features will the OS have?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by dukemeiser, Dec 13, 2003.

1. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Apple's OS update pace is very rapid. Almost one major update per year. At this blinding pace, Apple will almost have to include at least one great new feature with every release to encourage people to upgrade. Minor improvements and tweaks are always to be expected with these releases.

So my question is: What great new feature will Apple roll out next? Jaguar brought Rendezvous. Panther brought Exposé. Each of these new features significantly changed the way we us our Macs.

What will change our Macs in 10.4?

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I can't speculate, but one thing I'd like to see added is AI that determines if my iBook has been stolen and causes it to detonate when the thief boots up. But that be wishful thinking... ;)

Dan

3. sparky76 macrumors regular

Even faster is good for me. I'd like Airport and Bluetooth as a given rather than an afterthought as now. Maybe multiple users with the idle user being able to use spare clock cycles properly. Maybe Linux as standard? No chance.

4. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

A 100 % Cocoa-coded Finder would be nice, IIRC the Panther Finder is still carbon...

5. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I think by the time Apple releases 10.4, we will see the G5 worked well into the product matrix (iMac, Powerbooks?) Apple might proclaim that 10.4 is a 64 bit OS.

My next guess might be multiple desktops per user. But I must admit, it is really hard to think of the next new feature. I think the good folks at Apple deserve a lot of credit for all of their innovation in the OS.

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

A hardware accelerated 3-D work environment with a new metaphor.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, as I see it Panther ironed out most (if not all) bugs with G4 and G3 machines and OSX. I see 10.4 going 64-bit. Definitely won't be compatible with G4s and G3s, but people have to move on. I do suppose there'd be griping so a 32-bit one would probably be made, but I won't buy it.

8. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I don't think Apple will drop support in favor G5s for a long time. I think they will rather have 64 bit options when it is run on a G5. So when it's on a G5, it will use 64 bit enhancements, but on old systems, it will ignore these.

9. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

I'd like to see a fully 64-bit OS with a 32-bit emulator...

much like classic is now...

10. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

we might be able to speculate what kind of features will be introduced in 10.4, but the question is HOW they are going to be implemented... no one could have imagined that Quartz would have the power to pull off the Exposé effect, or the fast user switching effect... esp when simply minimizing a window sometimes takes forever!!

11. jelwell macrumors member

I have this, it's called MacPhoneHome . Well ok, it doesn't cause the ibook to explode. But if the thief turns the ibook on with a network around the ibook will phone home making it so the thief is trackable. Then the police can blow the thief up. :)

Let's see, future OS additions:
    1) Fully functional FTP client, or otherwise
    2) support for ICQ, Yahoo, MSN etc in iChat
    3) Quicktime updates - can't really speculate here. Maybe an Itunes Video Store.
    4) A Peer to Peer client. Ipeer? They'd need a good reason for one first.
    5) iPhoto updates. It's perfect for me - albeit slow. But there are a ton of things they could add if they want to.

These aren't necessarily things I want or need, but just thoughts on what could be.
    joe.

12. wwworry macrumors regular

It still is not easy enough for beginners. Maybe a task utility. Maybe better documentation.

13. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

I expected integrated OCR software in Panther, does Panther have OCR? ( I am still on Jaguar, waiting for my new Powerbook to arrive.). Also the Dock could use some enhancements/modification options. I think that it is not possible to improve Panther significantly anymore. Only Apple is able to prove me wrong!