What new game for a Intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chris14, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Chris14 macrumors regular

Chris14

Hello guys!

I am looking for a good game to play on my new intel iMac with the following specs:

2.0gHZ Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    ATI X1600 128MB

I really like the look of Call of Duty 2, and that is currently my decision.
    Other games I have looked at are:
    Quake 4
    Doom 3
    Cold War (not out yet I don't think so not really in the running)
    Halo (a bit too old, outdated graphics etc)
    Civ IV (probably not because I have Civ III)

I want a game that can show off the capabilities of my new computer. Preferably a game that is a Universal Binary. I know the ATI X1600 kind of sucks as a graphics card but its all I have.

You opinions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

By running native your limiting yourself big time, with Xp there is so much available. Lets face it there is some great stuff coming out now and all of 2007 that wont be running native on a Mac. Sad but true. Halflife 2 is still the king of shooters in my view.

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

get bootcamp - medieval2, I played the dark messiah demo and it too was fun won't spend money on the full version because I hate the keyboard/mouse combo for a shooter - too many buttons and I have thumbs

4. Chris14 thread starter macrumors regular

Chris14

Windows = :(

I DESPISE windows. I would much rather play a game in Mac OS X. Plus, I would rather not sink hundreds of dollars on what I value as a piece of junk.
    I like to support mac game developers.

Anyone else have any opinions on mac games?

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I too had no desire to dirty up my new 2footer with windows but when it was required for me to work in Access as well as MS SQL (rather than mysql or other open source sql) I figured I might as well get some games. On a side note I this was the easiest and error free install of any wondows os I have done in over 15 years. I enjoyed the total war games and played rome extensively on my roomates pc so I since I have winxp pro, bootcamp and thte hardware to run it I got medieval2 and have not regretted it since. I only have time to get to it about once a week though.

Unfortuneately mac gaming is limited I wish it would expand but I doubt it will - I thought the switch to intel would have helped but not many companies are clamoring to make a win/mac release save blizzard

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Civ IV is actually quite nicer than Civ III, but of course, it's your choice to play or not. Quake 4, certainly, The Sims 2, Unreal Tournament 2004…

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Call of Duty 2. I have it for the PC. Outstanding game. Multiplayer is a bit lacking, but Single-Player improved the game by leaps and bounds...and if you're a MP junkie, don't worry, CoD 2 MP will keep you entertained, it's just not out of this world. Still fun though, especially on the new maps. Get it!

8. colocolo macrumors 6502

:eek: Whats going on?? Who are you!

How did you manage to NOT bash the GMA950 in a game thread, even if it has nothing to do with the subject??

OK, I've seen it all now....

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

He has a X1600, but your right about GMA950 and gaming but dont be so hard on me because I learned it from Apple's gaming page which use to bust on those "other" machines that had integrated graphics and couldnt play Halo but Apple's machines all had real GPU's.:)

10. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Wow, i have this same attitude and haven't met anyone else who has, i admire the people at Aspyr and Macsoft, just because most people on here want to destroy the Mac game market for the little of us who don't want to run windows on their macs, and i for one do not want to touch windows with a barge pole, and i want games to continue being released for the mac, if people don't buy mac games people like aspyr will stop Porting stuff to the mac, then i will have no games, because i'm dammed if i'm going to run windows.

Anywho, i won loads of mac games not all of them are UB yet but they run ok

Halo is absolutely Brilliant on the imac, i have a 20" C2D one and the graphics are gorgeous on halo, i used to run it on a Radeon 9000, however either the graphics have been updated or my card wasn't capable of running the brilliant graphics the game has to offer, but the halo will definitely show off the graphics

Sims 2 is great and Blazes on the Intel macs

Doom is good but I'm to scared to play it

Call of duty 2 is ace i would really recommend that

11. Chris14 thread starter macrumors regular

Chris14

thanks!

Hey Thanks Macmadant!

I think I have decided on Call of Duty 2, and I will look into Halo.

Thanks again!

12. jfr001 macrumors newbie

What about:
    - Warcraft III
    - Lord of the rings: return of the king,
    - Age of Mythology

All 3 are great & work very well on a MacIntel.

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

You couldn't have decided on a better selection :D

14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Prey is also coming out for the Mac in January, looks decent....

--Eric

15. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you are interested in non-fighting games, but from the looks of the list you provided, those games have been out on shelves for a looong time. Doom 3? Wasn't that like 2 years ago?

Ambrosia's Redline was released a few weeks ago, so its still fresh. Its a racing game, though, so may not be your cup of tea.