What new Hard Drive for my iBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by atx_knepp, Jul 10, 2005.

1. atx_knepp macrumors member

i have a G3 500 mhz iBook, it has a little 9.8 gig HD in it and it is killing me, what is a good, biggest possible, upgrade for the little guy?

is it relatively easy? or will i hv to take it somewhere?

2. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

I would say the biggest is a 100GB, but a 60GB or 80GB should be a more affordable alternative. I've looked at trying to install an HD yourself in an iBook....and its pretty complicated. I think you'll probably have to take it somewhere, unless you've put computers together before, I really wouldn't try it. I'll try to find the website with the do-it yourself instructions so you can decide for yourself. I've replaced my RAM chip about four tiems in my iBook, but I wouldn't try a HD replacement.

3. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Ok, the url is http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/

from there just select your iBook size (12, 14, or clamshell) and then select the job(replacing HD) and your good to go.

4. atx_knepp thread starter macrumors member

Can you suggest some manufacturors (sp?), and somewhere online to get it if it is an off brand?, i ddnt thnk tht i could get something that big, so yeah, like 60-80 gigs would be great... who makes the best/most affordable?

5. atx_knepp thread starter macrumors member

ok, i see all the hard drives that they have for sell on their website, but is there anything else out there?, they seem resonable, but just for comparison (sp?) sake, thanks for the help thus far