Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atx_knepp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Austin, Texas
i have a G3 500 mhz iBook, it has a little 9.8 gig HD in it and it is killing me, what is a good, biggest possible, upgrade for the little guy?

is it relatively easy? or will i hv to take it somewhere?

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
I would say the biggest is a 100GB, but a 60GB or 80GB should be a more affordable alternative. I've looked at trying to install an HD yourself in an iBook....and its pretty complicated. I think you'll probably have to take it somewhere, unless you've put computers together before, I really wouldn't try it. I'll try to find the website with the do-it yourself instructions so you can decide for yourself. I've replaced my RAM chip about four tiems in my iBook, but I wouldn't try a HD replacement.

atx_knepp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Austin, Texas
Can you suggest some manufacturors (sp?), and somewhere online to get it if it is an off brand?, i ddnt thnk tht i could get something that big, so yeah, like 60-80 gigs would be great... who makes the best/most affordable?

atx_knepp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Austin, Texas
ok, i see all the hard drives that they have for sell on their website, but is there anything else out there?, they seem resonable, but just for comparison (sp?) sake, thanks for the help thus far

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.