What new mac should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nitynate, Jan 22, 2006.

1. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Hi. I am new to the mac scene, and I am 13 years old. I have been saving for a new mac for quite some time now. I have about $1350 to spend on a new mac. What do you think would be good for a kid who is looking to do mainly photoshoppe and internet?

2. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

I would say to go with a 17-inch iMac if you want a desktop, or an iBook if you want portability.

I'd personally go with an Intel iMac (and I'm planning to buy one soon :p) but others may have advice about the PPC vs Intel side of things.

Welcome to Macs!

3. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Id go with iMac intel if you can wait for universal photoshop. If you cant then just buy a iMac G5.

4. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, do you think it would work with macromedia's fireworks? I dont like photoshoppe as much as i have been accustomed to fireworks. So, yeah, the 17" seems like a good deal....... What do others think?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Although I think the Intel iMac is a great idea, if it was me I'd also want to spend some money on extra RAM and maybe some other accessories like an external hard-drive for back-ups.

But from most accounts, you may want at least 1gb of RAM in the iMac.

6. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

So a 17" Intel Imac with 1 gig of ram and?

7. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

Macromedia should update its software to work with the new Intels and in the meantime you can run the current version with Rosetta, though it may be a bit slow.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well... you may prefer a different kind of mouse for example. But the RAM would be a priority if you want to do graphics on your new machine.

9. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but it is bound to be faster than a celeron dell laptop right?

10. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will be happy with the mighty mouse. When they come out with the wireless mighty mouse that will be mine. lawl.

11. davidcb13 macrumors member

yes you should notice a big differance.

12. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even with rosetta?

13. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Yes. Not that ive used rosetta but I think anything is an improvment over a celeron processor, the bargain intel chip.

14. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep. The only reason that i bought a laptop with celeron is because i needed a computer right then. Now I can get a nice mac.:D

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Listen, a car is just down the road. Get yourself a Mini after the Intel shows up in them in the next month or two with a cheap monitor. Keep saving for that car:) My wife loves her Mini and it can do anything the other macs can do except the hardest gaming and even then it can play UT2K4. Thats my advice young man.

16. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

But the imac is so pretty......:D

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

iMac is nice but the all in one thing doesnt allow for change of computer or monitor and thats a future handicap in my book. Still If your folks think its ok go for it just make sure you have 1 gig of ram whatever you do................. I grew up in Indian Rocks, Clearwater beach and my Mommy still lives there.:)

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Now c'mon... let's try to be a little realistic about exactly what the Mini's capabilities are.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Look they have new mini's running a 1.5 G4 with a 64mb 9200, not much it cant do and the Intel powered Mini will only be faster. Plus he said internet & photoshop and a mini can do that easily.

20. LastLine macrumors 65816

21. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There's Photoshop and then there's Photoshop.

I wouldn't fancy working on a 450ppi A4 image with a dozen or more layers, masks and whatnot on a Mini. Nor would I want to do 3D or video work — these are not production machines and it think it's only fair to be honest about their capabilities and their intended market.

I have problems running InDesign 3 on my dual 1.42 with 2gb of RAM — there's no reason to think that a Mini would be any better, if not worse.

23. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Personally, I'd go with a 17" Intel iMac, with 1GB of RAM. It's a great computer, and will do everything you need it to. Use the education discount, and you'll get it for right around $1300 or so.

24. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Get an iBook. Stock it up with atleast 768MB RAM and you should be good to go.

25. nutmac macrumors 68030

I would get:

17" iMac Core Duo from Amazon: $1294.99 - $20.33 (A9.com discount) - $125 (Amazon mail in rebate) = $1149.66

Extra 512 MB DDR2 PC2-5200 (667 MHz) 200-pin SO-DIMM ($60-75) or 1 GB ($100-125)

It's true that many apps aren't Universal Binary yet but they are coming in fast and Rosetta isn't so bad at running most PowerPC apps (i.e., Fireworks and Photoshop all function good enough for casual to moderate use; many games will be unplayable though).

Regarding Fireworks vs. Photoshop, while I too prefer Fireworks, since Macromedia is now owned by Adobe, Fireworks will likely be phased out. You will get more out of learning Photoshop moving forward.