what new small camera to get?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bmc1818, May 14, 2006.

1. bmc1818 macrumors member

I need to get a camera sometime within the next week and was wondering what is the best camera thats good, small and 250-300 dollars. i want at least 4 megapixels and the ability to stick it in my pocket. I have not kept up with the newest cameras and was wondering what to get

Thanks

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Keep in mind that the price of the camera is just a starting point. You will need to budget for memory, and perhaps a case and a set of rechargeable batteries.

It would help to know if this is your total budget.

3. bmc1818 thread starter macrumors member

I dont need a case or extra batteries, I will need to budget for at least a 512mb card. So about 300 total with everything is what im looking for. I mainly want a quality ultra compact camera.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm very happy with my 6MP Olympus µ digital 600 (aka stylus 600 in the US). Nice pictures. Small enough to put in my jeans pockets (though there are a lot of smaller cameras, this one is small enough and still has a large LCD). Extremely long battery life is a major plus.

My girlfriend bought the exact same camera a few months after I got mine, even if she really wanted a Sony Cybershot, but the Olympus seemed like a better bargain price/quality-wise... :)

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

At my shop the Nikon L3 is $199 before an instant $20 rebate. Adding 512mb and a set of AA rechargeables w/charger will cost less than $250. (http://www.penncamera.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=7398)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything smaller that will be less in cost.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, another good choice. The combo would be just at the $300 mark at my shop.

7. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

I just picked up a Nikon Coolpix S6 this weekend from CC for 340 to replace my broken Casio Elixim (Damn you Casio!!!!:mad: :mad: ) So far I love it and the screen is HUGE. Fits nicely in the pocket.

8. bmc1818 thread starter macrumors member

canon sd500

Ive looked alot of cameras and i was wondering if the canon sd500 is a good camera. Are there any others that are better and about the same price?