What News/RSS Aggregator?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stridey, Nov 12, 2005.

?

What News/RSS Aggregator Do You Use?

1. NetNewsWire

35.3%
  2. NewsFire

8.8%
  3. PulpFiction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Safari

26.5%
  5. Other Aggregator App

8.8%
  6. Other Browser-based Aggregator

5.9%
  7. Don't Use Syndication Feeds

14.7%
  1. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Personally, I love me my NetNewsWire, but I'm interested in what MR folks use to organize their news.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Safari 2.0 :)

Used to use NetNewsWire (Lite) and later Firefox 1.0.x, but ever since upgrading to Tiger no one even comes close to the RSS handling in Safari.

3. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Also, NNW users: if you could mention whether you use the payed or lite version, that'd be cool. :) (stats geek)

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I liked the idea of being able to save certain stories, so i wrote my own. Shrook does this but i wasn't too keen on the rest of it, however i haven't tried it lately. mine uses webkit and some pretty simple stuff, it's not pretty doesn't have half the features in other apps, but let's me save items from a feed for later viewing.

so i vote other

5. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I own netnewswire, newsfire, and newsmac pro. I like netnewswire the best. Safari RSS is nice too, but it's way too slow with all the feeds I have. I also love the fact that netnewswire can sync what I read between macs using .mac. So when I read stuff in the morning before I go to work, I can continue where I left off at work.

6. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Is it available for download? :p :)

7. Project macrumors 68020

NetNewsWire.... full version....amazing program.

I just wish more feeds would let me take the whole article and not just a summary, so that I can read up when im offline like on the bus or something... what is this technically? An Atom feed?

8. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

AFAIK, either RSS or Atom can display the whole article and not just a summary, but many feed makers do just the summary to direct more browser traffic to the site.

9. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

i knew i was going to get that. not at the moment. it's kinda rough and buggy depending on the feeds. i will see about releasing it in the future though. i'll announce it here if and when i do.

10. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Bump, just because I'm sure more than 11 people on MR use news readers. If it dies again I'll let it stay dead.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Anyone tried RSSOwl?

I'm getting tired of Safari crashing several times a day (most often assosiated with closing tabs containing CGI scripting) and are looking for an alternative to Safari RSS. That way I could switch back to Firefox and only miss AcidSearch (but that's another thread, really ;)).

I don't consider NetNewsWire Lite as an alternative, since I even preferred Firefox' (cheap) live bookmarks to that. ;)

12. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I use the New Reader widget to view news via RSS. Probably not as full featured as actual apps, but it's great for just getting headlines and snippets.

13. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

I took a look at it, but it was so unMaclike that I didn't really give it a decent go. Have you tried Vienna? It seemed ok...

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Thanks. When I just changes (more or less) all the preferences it seems very close to all I want from a RSS reader. Nice! :)

15. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Im a download-as-little-apps-as-possible guy so I just stick with Safari. I learned the Windows way on what downloading too many programs can do and if a program that comes with my computer can do it, I'll use it.

16. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

You realize that downloading a lot of programs isn't a bad thing on a Mac, right? That's one of the reasons we're all using them! :D

17. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Shocked that nobody's voted for NewsFire yet. But yeah, I voted Safari. ;)

18. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I don't think RSS feeds are big with the general mac crowd. More of the tech-savy mac users use them. I did read that Netnewswire is the most used rss reader on any platform based on quite a few popular website feed stats.

19. devman macrumors 65816

devman

NNW Lite but then I paid for the full version based solely on the .mac syncing feature. Unfortunately it doesn't work properly and after months of waiting for a fix, I've given up and switched syncing off and now only use NNW on one of my machines. It has another bug that irritates me and that is the column widths are not preserved. Those things aside, it's a nice functional piece of software. I use it several times a day.

20. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Maybe I'm weird, but I prefer Bloglines. Sure, it's web-based and all, but I do come online to check up on the news so it just seems like a natural place to go. Plus, I have the ability to view everything as the complete article.

21. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

I'm actually surprised that you're the first person to choose a web-based service; I thought there'd be more, especially with Google Reader.

22. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

google reader is horrible. worst thing i've ever seen come out of google. bloglines blows it away

23. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I love Newsfire, very simple and clean. Worth the $20.

24. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

except the developer is an ass who doesn't give a crap about his customers. so... $20 he's not getting from me.