what newsgroup reader application do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mackaveli, Aug 6, 2005.

1. mackaveli macrumors regular

I use unison but was wondering can i connect to multiple servers? if not, is there any good newsgroup reader that allows me to connect to mulitple servers? Thanks

2. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I use a program called Thoth which lets you connect to multiple servers. Sadly the app has been discontinued. A search on google should point you in the right direction on where to find it.

3. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

4. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Safari and Google newsgroups now.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Hogwasher is good and allows you to access two separate servers.

6. Kyan macrumors newbie

What Reader?

NetNewsWire is the best for me.
    Kyan

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Another vote for Thoth, even though there's no further development, it still runs fine under 10.4.2 in my PowerBook.

I used to use MT Newswatcher too, it's OK.

Don't know what I'm going to use once an upgrade b0rks Thoth mind... :D

8. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

If an update breaks thoth, then I will have to downgrade and not use the update. Thoth is one of the main reasons that I use a mac instead of a pc.
    There are no newsreader apps for the pc that are as easy to use and as powerful as Thoth. Too bad it has been discontinued.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

There's also Ibis.

(and shouldn't this be under software?)

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You're entirely correct, I came in via "New Posts" and didn't notice the forum.

Ibis looks pretty good, I'm going to give that a go shortly.

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, you can connect to multiple servers with Unison, go to the Server pane of the Preferences to set them up. You can only choose one at any time, however. I bought Unison because I like it for binaries, but I prefer the old, fast, text-only interface of MT-NewsWatcher for reading posts.

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yet another orphaned Thoth user here. Man, I hope somebody picks up the slack eventually, as that's one heckuva newsreader and I hate to say "Well, you should be using Thoth, but...".

That software dropping always bugged me a little; if he was considering completely ceasing development, including cutting off all new purchases, he could've given us existing users an option to "renew" our licenses at full or half price to encourage development (heck, he could've re-numbered it version 2.0 to make people feel better, if he wanted). Sure, we'd have been paying for nothing, so to speak, but I'm sure I and others would have been quite willing to pay to encourage continued development on the app--certainly better than nothing at all, which is what we got.

Unison isn't that bad, actually--if it weren't for Thoth, I'd be using it and probably not complianing--and seems to be improving slowly. If version 2 eventually ships with some of the features I've heard discussed, it'll definitely be worth another look.

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

He pulled the same stunt with YA-NewsWatcher. Abandonment was a risk that buyers (hopefully) expected.
    Binaries users seem to be mostly satisfied with it already. It's still pretty weak for discussion though, and its multiple server support is still broken (one active list shared among all servers).