What, no NBA Draft Thread?

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Jun 29, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Alright, so I'm away at training this week and really haven't had much chance to login here, but I did get a chance to watch a few minutes of the NBA draft last night. Honestly, I'm surprised stubeeef hasn't started this thread yet.

Anyway, I was surprised by a few picks (happy with Deron Williams at #3 and Luther Head at #24), not so much by others. Anyone else out there with opinions on this? I know a lot of us were hyped about "our" guys from college getting a chance at the big time...

Congrats to UNC with 4 in the top 13 - no big surprise there.

Also, I know there have been some comments on another thread about the new age cap - 9 high schoolers (most ever) were drafted last night, perhaps because most likely this is the last time that will happen.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

why in the world did villanuava go so high??

lame, in my opinion...

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Just landed from an overnight in houston, and the marriot there wanted too much for in room internet.
    Watched some of the first round, no sure of those after number 15, couldn't believe that Sean May went so late, charlotte made out with felton and may.

4. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

didn't watch it this year but i still think the bucks should have taken the best player in the draft, which probably is marvin williams. He was the 6th man on UNC and was drafted ahead of all this teammates. Everyone knew that was going to happen but I still find that funny.

Anywho, I think Bogut will be a "good" player, but not as great as williams will probably be.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I have a harder and harder time getting excited about the draft. In the early nineties it was still for players we knew and had seen for 2-4 years in college. The idea that Shaq played 3 (or was it 2) years at LSU is kind of mind boggling by today's standards.

Still, I'm excited that it kind of soundsl like Washington got a steal with the 49th pick in the draft:Andray Blatche

"LIKELY DRAFT POSITION: Blatche has worked out for most of the teams in the bottom half of the first round. He is a tantalizing prospect because of what he could develop into more than what he can deliver now. Teams like Indiana (17), Memphis (19) and Phoenix (21) have had success taking and waiting on young players in the past and may have the nerve to do so again."

Washington bombed on Kwame Brown, but that was a number one pick. If a #49 pick doesn't pan out, no big deal, but if he turns out to be any good, that's a nice pick up.

6. mac-er macrumors 65816

ehh...the NBA is boring.

Give me college bball anyday.

Their egos are so big they can barely fit 10 of them on the court in the NBA (though college is getting just as bad).

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

That is nothing to congratulate UNC for.
    4 student athletes will never graduate....

8. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

To think that many of these kids go to college for an education would be, I think, an incorrect assumption. They are only "student" athletes because they have to be per the NCAA rulebook. In reality, they are/were only hoping to improve their position on draft day and increase their earning potential. These guys will be making more money in a couple of years than I am likely to make in a lifetime (barring a chance at the lottery).

Why do they need the education? Because they might get hurt? Lottery picks are guaranteed 3 year contracts. Besides, I know many very successful people who never went to college, let alone graduated with a 4 year degree.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Williams doe shave more upside, but was more of a gamble. And after watching what Ducan and Shaq have done for their teams, picking a big center Is fine with me. Who knows what Bogut will turn out to be.

10. davechen macrumors member

UNC has a long history of players finishing their degrees even though they leave for the NBA. James Worthy, Michael Jordan, J.R. Reid, Jerry Stackhouse, Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison all left early but still got their degrees. Jerry Stackhouse left after his sophomore year and still graduated.

I'm sure that the three juniors will get degrees. As for freshman Marvin Williams, it might be harder, but, well he was the #2 pick. He can always go back to school after his career is over.

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Many will not, but like Michael Jordan, most are incouraged to finish. Under the Dean Smith era, MJ was the one if not the first to go early, most don't realize that he was not a starter, Dean didn't let freshman start. Roy is cut from Dean, and I imagine he will be there for "his" players long after they leave UNC.
    edit: just read the post above mine, he said it much better!

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

And Shaq just got his MBA from university of Pheonix online.