what non-apple gear do you like?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Apr 6, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i mentioned in another post that i like the digital elph camera by cannon...good resolution and compact size for its 399 dollar price tag

i also like the sony C1 laptop which is 2.2 pounds with a digital camera attached to the screen in a swivel mount, has large hard drive, and mini laptop could handle windows, office, and other standard pc software

of course, the best engineered products of the last five years are all apple products and here are my picks

1997) g3 desktop...a real workhorse
    1998) original iMac...saved apple
    1999) original ibook...put cool into laptops
    2000) os x beta which lead to os x...a new look
    2001) tibook...thin and sexy
    2002) ?

i put a question mark in 2002 because i am holding out for the g5

ironically, on the technology front, the segway personal transportation vehicle is the product which is supposed to revive the post dot.com high tech industry...we will have to see

before the dot.com boom, biotech, fiber, or networking was supposed to take the helm of high tech from the pc industry...that was, until there was another pc desktop revolution and a surge in computer sales which made the pc replace the pc;)

(ps - when industry analysts say pc, they include the mac)

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

so are you asking us to list the other items in our technological lifestyle that aren't Apple?

I have a Kodak 4800 Digital Camera, 3.2 megapixel, but it allows for full apeture and shutter speed (manual) control as well as totally auto, so I can do depth of field, blurred shots, etc.

My Sony MiniDV deck, hooked through firewire to either my G4 or TiPB, along with my Canon DV Camcorder for the digital video stuff.

And my Garmon GPS receiver. I don't travel without it.

Not too many things, but I love them.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Gear

First, I would like to congratulate Blakespot on reaching the avatar level!

Now, I like my Sony TRV-30 Mini DV Camera
    My Que! CD-RW
    My Yamaha Speakers
    My iBot
    My Sony DV Deck, which does DV, Mini DV, and Digital 8
    And...my RCA monitor hooked up to my computer!

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I like these non-Apple items that my father and I have:

Epson 740i and 880
    (2) Lacie CD-RW 16x10x40 U & I
    My brother and I have Nintendo 64
    Marantz CD-RW mp3 Radio player
    Billy the Bass (What? It's new and requires batteries! He he he)

We both have PowerMacs and iMacs. I have the iBook and my dad has the Powerbook G3. I want a Titanium!

5. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

What model do you have? I have the GPS II Plus. It's kind of old, but it works.:D

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    I have the Etrex Legend. Love it. Can't wait to use it this summer in Glacier and the Boundry Waters. Two weeks without my Ti, what ever will I do?

-idkew

7. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i'm extremely happy with my sony trv20 and i sometimes like having my usb zip 250

i used to like my mag 800v monitor & my iomega zip 650 cd burner but they're getting outdated... my mag is now my secondary monitor since i got an apple lcd

pretty soon (if apple doesn't introduce a digi cam) i will have to get a canon s110 (i'm sure i'd love it--but not as much as an apple branded device)

ps
    if you guys hadn't noticed--it's my goal to mention my wish of an apple digi cam in as many posts as possible :D

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Garmin GPS12. I've taken it to Fiji, Alaska, Italy, Florida, Banff Alberta, Dominican Republic, all up and down the East Coast. I put in permanent waypoints for all the locations, sort of GPS souvenirs. I've used it hiking a lot too, its invaluable.

One other techie item I forgot was my Bose AcoustiMass Multimedia Speakers, turn the volume up and feel the walls shake!:cool:

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i admit i do not have a digital elph but when i go into camera stores, i always handle them and lust after them...i have a cheap 30 dollar digital camera which is only good for emails

i also do not have the sony C1 since it costs two grand and an apple machine provides more value dollar for dollar than this sony mini laptop

so for the gear i have owned or used that i like (as if it were an apple product) that are non apple are the epson 740 printer, the lexmark z series printer, and sony crt monitors

for crt monitors, almost any sony is better than the apple crts except for the older apple monitors which were made by sony...the mitsubishi made crt monitors made for apple sucked big time and i have no idea why apple partenered with them in the first place

evidence of sony's great monitors can be seen in many graphic design studios where the g3 or g4 would be on the floor, but a common beige sony crt would sit on the designer's desk

but now with the relatively low cost apple lcd monitors, it looks like more people will be using them

...are there any graphic designers out there with color critical work that use apple lcd flat panels?