What Notebook???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chriscorbin, Feb 17, 2007.

1. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

Ok here is the deal after my birthday and graduation i am going to buy a notebook(a mac duh) but what one. i figure i am gonna have a strict budget of $2,000 i have acceess to a education discount my dad is a teacher. must be in store i am only 17 and dont have a credit card so refurbs are a no! i will use it for
    school-MS Office
    i own my own event production company so
    Video Editing-Final Cut Studio
    Photography-Aperture, a little bit of photoshop
    and of cours music, email and browsing
    Most data will be stored on an external HD just need the internal space for applicatoins and music, mabye a movie or two

I was thinking of a new MBP "15.4" just as it is
    or
    a macbook and spend the extra money on a display and apple care

P.S. i already own all of the software

Thanks For the help!!!

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Zomgz!!!?!?

Get a MacBook Pro, maybe the 17". Hell, even with the 15", you can still afford a nice external display as well. Get extra RAM, and you'll be happy.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Umm, how are they going to get all of that with only $2000? The cost of the software alone is going to be $2000. Setting aside that, a baseline 15" MBP is $1800, even with an education discount, and the 17"' is $2600.

4. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

lol

how bout next time read the whole thing
    "P.S. i already own all of the software"

5. chriscorbin thread starter macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

oops

sorry i forgot to post it but i have all of the software already and it suppourts mulitipale installs

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

He will afford it by selling himself on the street for money to strangers. Or maybe he already has it. OR MAYBE THE WHORING! Who knows!?

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

That's fine, I said in my post that even setting aside the issue of acquiring the software through whatever means, that if you only have $2000 to spend then you certainly can't get a 17" MBP, or a 15" and external display+RAM, etc.

I'm resisting the urge to wonder why you have multiple licenses of Aperture, FCS, Photoshop, etc. when you currently only have one Mac. But like I said, I'm resisting. :p

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Shrug. Guess I'm the only one who might think this... but high school and graduation? So we're looking at second maybe third week of June?

That's a good almost four months from now. Why not wait until a little bit closer to then? At that point, who knows, there might even be a new laptop or updates to an exisitng one that would attract you more to one than the other.

9. chriscorbin thread starter macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

the reason i have the software is my best friend is admin for some production company cant recall the name and he gave me permission to use is licenses for the software

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I guess my point was that if he's only got $2000, to spend, then he can afford the baseline MBP ($1800) plus a 3rd-party RAM option to bump up to 1.5GB. That's it. Suggesting things that are way out of his price range just isn't constructive.

11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hmmm... giving permission... is he... using the software as well?

All I have to say about that is, get ready for some knee-arthritis, since you'll probably have to buy new copies for yourself.

12. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nothing I have ever done, ever, could be called constructive. Saying otherwise makes you a liar, sir. A LIAR! Bah! I will take my leave of you now!

13. chriscorbin thread starter macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

why would i have to do that i am using the same liscince right now on my imac for aperture and finalcut

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Fair enough, as long as we understand each other.

:cool: :D

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The point is that your friend probably doesn't have the authority to 'share' the licenses with you, and at some point you'll need to buy a legitimate copy of each of them for yourself.

16. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

My brain! She hurts!

Oh, that's just the alcohol. You, on the other hand, need to read the licenses on the software you're using. You can't use the same license as someone else, that is most likely not legal.

17. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

You'll have to get a MacBook Pro because the MacBook's measley Intel GMA 950 graphics card cannot run with FCS.

Although, they may (and probably will) upgrade it by June or July.

I would probably just get a stock 2.16 GHz 15" MBP with a 120 GB hard disk for just $1799. You can always get more RAM, but I wouldn't buy it from Apple.

18. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

To run those apps you definately need a MBP i would suggest the 15" and then get like a 24" dell monitor for external use :D It is what i will be doing eventually.