Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
I was disappointed when I first made the switch to OS X and found there was no note pad. I use mine a fair bit every day, and missed it. I know there were other solutions, but I went out and tried a few different replacement apps. I am curious what other people use for a notepad. VersionTracker seems to have at least 20 different ones that all have different features, some Freeware, some Shareware.

Personally, I use Notes. It is fairly simple (can't handle graphics or sounds), but does everything I need it to do. Also, it is fully Cocoa (with Quartz AA) and FREE!

What do other people use?

Chris

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Try writer. It's really simple and yet well designed. I think I got it at version tracker.

If not, it has an advertisement on ATAT

-Pete

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Writer, Moosepad, Notes, etc.

Checked out Writer. It's not bad at all. I think I still like Notes better. It's also available at VersionTracker.

Others?

Chris

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Since I never really used it under OS 9.x, I didn't miss it. I still use stickies for some things, mostly at work, and under 9.2.2. The company has yet to 'bless' OS X for deployment, so I just use it when I want to, and when I can get away with it. If we get the Apple Remote Desktop software, I will be in heaven, since I will them be able to go into OS X and not worry about lack of functionality, for remote controlling/helping/updating and such of the client's systems.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
BBEdit Lite - great for just simpletext, html, whatever - Free @ http://barebonessoftware.com/

Alpha-
I'm on an Apple mailing list for ARD, and there has been a lot of hoohah over the inablity of ARD (at this time) to push out System folders. You can update apps, documents, etc., but it won't let you clone the whole HD. I'm hoping they address this soon, and from the Apple rep who's been posting to the list they may be toying with making it an OS X only feature. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up in case you were expecting to do this. Regardless, it will be nice to be able to spy on...I mean, monitor students using the lab again without booting back into 9 to use ANA. :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Rower_CPU, we don't use ANAT to push system folders, only to remotely control/help people out of jams. Provided they are on the network of course. I would love the ability to control more then one system at a time, which ARD allows. Plus being able to use it in OS X, and control OS 9.x desktops would be sweet. ANAT doesn't work under classic mode, which really has prevented me from going to OS X at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.