What old slow computers are you forced to use?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macstudent, Apr 7, 2002.

1. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

What is the oldest computer that you must use at work? It does not have to be your day to day machine. It could be a scanning station or a server.

At my work(in a poor mini advertising department on campus) I am forced to use a Pentium 150 with 64 mb of RAM. Try doing webdesign on that!

2. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i just sold my 233 mhz, 48 mb (ram was maxed out) compaq to my 8 year old nephew for 5 bucks. It was my scanning machine. Old comps have their place. Its a shame to put a nice comp out to pasture.

3. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I just sold two computers. One was a gateway 200 pentium pro, and the other one was something old and crappy, probably a 133 or worse. I sold them to a friend who is learning was to play around with linux. I got $100 for both. I didn't need them, so I thnk it was a fair deal, and he is happy with them.

4. macopia macrumors newbie

I gave my old Compaq 233 Mhz to my parents. As a going away present, I put Windows 2000 Pro on it. You can go cook a Thanksgiving dinner while its booting up.

5. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Now thats just mean. Win2k on the 233 compaq. was that the same one i had (max ram =48 mb)? lol

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

nt box

since i have a 1999 era compaq laptop not optimized for windows nt 4 server, i have to resort to a pentium 150 desktop from 1996 which works beautifully with nt 4

i have 32 MB of RAM on this machine and i think it maxes out at 64 MB (which was a heck of a lot of RAM then)

as long as i have to refer to nt 4, i will use this machine since it is still the most common server software around where i live and work

windows 2000 server never took off that well and windows xp is too new and who knows if microsoft will go with that format for their future server software

a client of mine still uses his 486 for email, the internet, and defense department work in programming but at work he has a 450 p3

7. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

At Uni I am forced to work on crappy 1.6 GHz P4s. It sucks big time.

8. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

IM on it now. Though its a good machine (for what it is) I need a new one. I'm on a PPC 6500 275 Mhz with 96MD RAM and a 4 GB HD. Upgrading this summer...had to wait till now because of money

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Slow and Old?

I dont think any of my macs are slow, but I have a few old ones! Right now, I mainly use a G4 500, G4 400, PowerBook G3 500 Pismo, and thats about it.

In my collection storage, I have quite a few oldies but extremely goodies. All in great cond.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

At work, (I'm a T.A. at college in the morning), I have to use a Power Macintosh 7100/66. I upgraded it to OS 9.1 but had to DOWNGRADE it back to 8.6 because it slowed to a crawl! Loading web pages is absolutely miserable.

I keep bugging my sysadmin boss to upgrade us... after a year and a half he finally upgraded my teacher's Quadra 660AV (which I added to my Mac collection of course :D ).

11. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

my mates computer is a 133mhz pentium and with 16mb ram and it sucks so hard
    my uncles is a 90mhz pentium with 8mb ram

12. spuncan macrumors 6502

School Computers

Im still in school. But there we have an assortment of 250mhz compaqs, 1ghz Dells, and 900mhz Dell laptops they are all very slow and crash almost constantly. At home I still use this 233 G3 "Desktop" Mac which for its age and whats been done to it, it runs smoothly in 9.2 and once we get the ram to max it out X should run decently.

13. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I work at home and for writing and such I use my trusty Mac Plus with 1 mb of ram and a 20mb Gcc HrdDrive and MacOS 6 it boots in about 2.1 seconds. Also when I am on the go I bring my MessagePad 120.
    I also use a iBook 366 with 128mb of ram It runs OS X fast and smooth.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

FYI - In my division, I have one of the better computers. It is a 166 pentium Compaq Deskpro. There are mostly 150 mhz machines here, but are scheduled for replacement (dells - yuck - I wish apple would try to get big business and government accounts like ours). Downstairs, they have some 486's that they have to keep because they are the only machines that run certain software.

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

the slowest at work...

G3 Desktop...266...

we have it setup as a RIP for our Heidelberg Quicksetter....works quite well actually...

16. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

My girlfriend has an old Digital Equipment Corp notebook... It may way 15 pounds... :D

She uses it in grad school for basic word and powerpoint stuff...

I'd buy her a iBook but it is too much fun making fun of her :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2014252335

C-

17. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

unlike most high school and college students who may have some help from mom and dad, many grad students are on their own and there are tons of "starving graduate" students out there

first, there is the higher tuition per unit

the chance for working is diminished due to a much harder school work load

and being out of the real working world, in some cases, six to eight years, takes its toll...one can't live on oxygen alone

so a working laptop is a luxury to many grad students and i have seen typewritten stuff at the local university in santa cruz (but there may be some other issues there since there is definitely a pro environmentalist, anti technology bent there)

ask mischief, he will tell you all about it

but at least uc santa cruz was the only place where i can do my bohemian starving musician act with a banged up guitar...i sucked, really, and they though i was bob dylan:D

19. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I'm forced to use this slow ass dual gig until the G5s come out:(

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp, money, and Macs.

I live in a 350 Sq. Ft. Basement Appartment that I and my wife rent for 750 a month. I use an iMac rev-D 333 at home that my mother bought me about a month before the DV's came out. At work there are G4 towers that I configured myself.

UCSC is populated by trustfund babies.

These eco-freak-neo-raver-wanna-hippies have seriously screwed the local economy and political scene. White folks with BAD dredds. Ick.

Picture this: All the most annoying people you knew in HS all going to the same University on Daddy's money-for-love plan.

They get here and do WAY too many drugs (Binge sessions on at LEAST 3 substances) then convince themselves that whatever whacked out theories they come up with while doing Ecological Studies homework while High are the truth. They go down to Pacific and buy themselves canvas Vegan-approved clothes and stop bathing, thinking or contributing.

One of these stinky little debutantes came in with a FW Powerbook just before the TiBook came out and wanted warranty service for her scratched up monitor. Upon examination of the bag she was carrying it in I discovered a small aquarium's worth of sand, gravel, dirt, twigs, etc. She was using it most often while sitting on the ground at various Freak Circles throughout the County then wanted Apple to pay for her irresponsability.

21. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

jefhatfield;

Sorry bro if I offended you... I meant it as a joke... and have nothing but respect for people in grad school (myself included).

Financially speaking she is over 80k in debt due to just tuition at Columbia and her rent is over 1000/month to live in NYC...

I know times are tough on college students and any cpu is a bonus...

I just can't resist ranking on a Compaq product; due to the fact that I am a former Compaq employee...

hugs and kisses all around and "Mad Propts" to anybody in college... always keep learning!!!!

C-

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

no offense at all

i have been there...

in '95 i entered grad school and took a class every eight months or so until 1999 and then one day the school completely cut out the program...not enough students...so i was halfway done and left out in the cold...i am still paying the school off and want to be debt free before i do more grad work...this time i will choose something safe like computer engineering

a friend of mine who started his data processing major in 1972 at mit was going for his phd and right before he finished, they cut his concentration out so instead of a phd, he got a masters

so off to stanford he went to finish the job and spent many years there working toward his phd in computer science (what they called it by then) and he finally finished in 1984...that is twenty six semesters of ivy leaugue level private university education...yikes

he is almost 50 now and he has paid it all off and due to the high cost of grad school, he admitted to me that he was never able to afford a child...i think that hurt him since he makes $120,000 a year now but he feels too old to get started at his age because by the time his child graduated from high school, he would be as old as george burns:D

charlie chaplin had a kid at 72...he he

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp, money, and Macs.

what is this phenomenon of rich kids dressing in rags?...of all the time i spent at ucsc, i never saw a cell phone or computer...what do the students do? do they use stone tablets because they are ecologically sound?

i am a liberal and i am a democrat, but the ultra left wing i see at ucsc is so left it is right wing nazi reactionary...if you don't blend into the correct form of liberalism, they call you a conservative...go figure:p

that said, ucsc is one of the top rated schools in northern california and many in the know say it is better than that other ultra left wing uc in a city called berkeley (or berzerkely as some of the students call it)...if it's hot you can go to class nude...it is in the berkeley bylaws...i have looked but have not seen naked people, but plenty of mohawks and tie dyed shirts...and that was at boalt, their high end law school...i wonder what their gender studies program looks like...he he

i shouldn't criticize...the grateful dead played on the nude lawn behind the cafeteria at sonoma state where i drank (i mean studied)

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Off topic -->

I went to Michigan and majored in engineering, followed by law school at Illinois. I consider myself pretty liberal, but if some wacky west coast hippy tried to make it here in the midwest, they'd end up limping home with corn sticking out of their nude hippy butts.

We don't have the weather or scenery of the west coast, but I guess it's worth it to avoid the nappy rich hippies.