What on earth does Bonjour do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calebjohnston, Jan 26, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I know I've seen it in iChat, but I have no idea what it is/does. Anyone have a quick little summary? The apple site still leaves me confused.

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's a zero configuration plug and play service. I've used it often on my network when our print server died. Devices that a zero configuration compatible send out a message to the network. Bonjour allows you to see these devices and connect to them easily. It's a good work around if you don't have a print server. (A computer dedicated to that.)

3. macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

eh, that's at least some clarification. thanks. I thought it had to do with instant messaging or something along those lines.

5. macrumors 6502a

igucl

I think it does much more than this.

But all I know is that it allows my computer to detect and connect to printers with one click of the mouse. Very nice.

6. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

7. macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

8. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yup... it lets computers find other computers and peripherals/users connected to them.

If you have a printer connected to an Airport, then Bonjour means that it just 'appears' in the Print dialogue.

If you're using iChat then, even if there's no wireless network, if two people have Bonjour enabled in iChat, then you'll be able to see one another.

9. macrumors 68030

Think of Bonjour as a local network client. If a bunch of iChat users are online in one Apple Retail Store, they can communicate with one another under the Bonjour Buddy List. This is easier rather than having to get their individual screen names and adding them yourself.

Quick question I was wondering: does iTunes use Bonjour or just your average network technology?

10. macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

bonjour is also how you connect to a printer that is plugged into an airport or airport express over your network