What OS X Disk Utility Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlackMax, Jan 27, 2007.

1. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

What OS X disk utility does everyone use? I haven't purchased one since Norton Utilities for OS9 and never really liked it very much. Lately I've been looking at Prosoft Drive Genius, Micromat TechTool Pro and Alsoft Disk Warrior for things like volume repair, backup, recovery, disk imaging and disk optimization. Has anyone used any of these and do you have any recommendations? Thanks.

2. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

DiskWarrior is worth every penny and then some. You don't need it very often, but when you do, it saves the day. I've had numerous situations over the years where Apple's Disk Utility refused to repair a disk, and sometimes OS X refused to recognize it at all. Every time DiskWarrior repaired it without trouble. I keep saying Apple ought to buy it out and bundle it with the OS. So much better than the built-in utilities.

I can't comment on anything else, as I haven't used the others.

3. BlackMax thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Thanks bankshot for the feedback on DiskWarrior. Has anyone used Prosoft Drive Genius or Micromat TechTool Pro? What do you think about them?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've used both and they're both okay. I've heard from some that Drive Genius is great or that DiskWarrior can resurrect all but a physically dead drive but I don't think any are great in all circumstances.

TechTool Pro has great hardware diagnostics with some disk utilities that work well as long as everything is enabled. Drive Genius is good but doesn't do all of the functionality as the other two but the company has software to fill the gaps.