what PC notebook to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jefhatfield, Dec 3, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have my macs at home but since i need a pc for my work and school...cisco ios, ms visual basic, etc, does anybody have any recommendations?

it does not need to be a monster multimedia or gaming machine, by today's standards, and the main thing is that it is not too heavy

i have been looking at averatec laptops...does anybody know anything about them?

2. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

dell has a pc laptop for about $700. My dad has a dell and it does whatever it is pc's do fairly well. It's no mac, but.......

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

it sounds like an option

i just wish some of the pc based languages made compilers for macs so i could stay totally on the mac side of things and it's sad that even java coders have to wait for 1.4.1 just because they use a mac...at least java compilers are available for macs

4. niter macrumors 6502

IBM offers the best PC laptop out there. However, it will cost you. Sony has the most asthetic laptops and a lot of travel options, but they will also cost you. Gateways and Dells are cheap...but the service with Gateways are wretched.

If you want a simple system that will not cost a lot, get a Dell.

If I was not jumping PC ship and I had to buy a laptop again, I would get a Dell (just because I could not afford the IBM). Everyone who has bought a Dell that I know, has been pleased.

5. kibit macrumors member

kibit

I've had 4 Sony Vaios, (I upgrade every couple years) and they've all been great, I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

6. leet1 macrumors 6502

7. kanker macrumors 6502

One thing to realize about some entry level PC laptops like the Dell is that there is no video card- it shares video memory with the system. If you don't really need any graphics performance, then go ahead, but if you do need a bit, step up one model level or so and they start to incorporate video cards.

8. leet1 macrumors 6502

My presario 2100 came with a video card that shares memory. It performes great on games like UT 2003. Havent been on one map that has slowed it down. Go Compaq :D

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hmmm...

The choices for PC laptops, while suprisingly cheap, aren't really much to be impressed by. The Dell's are heavy, but I've got one in the office and it seems okay, we haven't had any problems, the Compaqs have always been mediocre, and the Sony Vaios have been difficult little beasts. However, the IBM laptops I've seen and used have always seemed very good.
    Note, Dell has made a shift in their policy regarding spyware/adware, they will not help you to remove it nor suggest where you can go to do so.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/

This strikes me as poor customer service, but I know the market won't punish them for it.

If you can swing the cash, the IBM is certainly worth it, but the Dell will do, barely.
    Also, what about Virtual PC, wouldn't this suit your needs in programming?

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Do you have any cost restrictions? Also, what are you going for, desktop replacement, ultra-portable, or somewhere in between?

12. cubist macrumors 68020

You should look for a used Thinkpad. An older laptop may not have a good battery, but you'll get more machine for your money.

Yes, Dell has a $700 (after rebate) laptop, but it's heavy, slow, and uses shared memory. They have an ultralight model (300m) which is similar to a Powerbook 12", but it costs more and has shared memory video.

Consider the VPC option. It might turn heads - and open minds - when folks see the Apple logo...

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Fujitsu makes some nice looking and decently feature rich laptops. I've also seen some Sharp laptops with loads of features for a decent price. My sister has a Toshiba Satellite series that was about $1200 for 2.4 GHz and 512 megs RAM and she loves it besides its excessively noisy fan. For under $1000 I'd look at both Centrino and AMD laptops since they are generally thinner, cheaper, and overall better suited than the Pentium 4 versions. My roommate has a HP that has been in the shop 3 times this semester and my suitemates have a Gateway and a Dell laptop and the Dell has been (and still is) in the shop since October and the Gateway is a real heat/noise monster so I wouldn't want to recommend those as much. I'd say IBM hands down but they are too pricey if you are on a budget.

14. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

the dell's with centrino aren't halfway bad if you have 1500 or so, you'll get a little battery life they aren't as heavy as the other ones and aren't too too hot

15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

it's not the cost as main factor but the fact that i have to have a pc for some of the things i need like compilers or timely released complilers if that is lucky enough to be made in version for mac os :p

16. primalman macrumors 6502a

If horsepower is not an issue, why not an iBookG4 and VirtualPC? About the same money as a decent PC notebook that won't be dead in a year.

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i have never owned virtual pc and wondered if that would work

will cisco ios or microsoft visual basic compilers run on it?

18. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Correct me if I'm wrong but the acronym PC stands for Personal Computer, right? A buddy of mine keeps prodding me to buy a PC. His only argument is for the "amount of games". Well his propaganda doesn't faze me and my retort is always "I already have a PC, a personal computer. Personal meaning that it is mine and last time I checked, my Power Mac G4 was a computer". He stays silent after that until the topic is brought up again whereas I simply reload my response and the game is afoot once more.

19. legion macrumors 6502a

Visual Studio (as a whole) doesn't run on Macs using VirtualPC. I'm not a VB person, but VS C++ definitely doesn't. (and of course, C# and J# don't...)

20. legion macrumors 6502a

Yes but the "PC" delineation occurred a long time ago and is now supported, rightly or wrongly, by both sides of the fence where PC=="IBM compatible x86"

I, too, am not a fan of such a broad stoke, but today, your argument doesn't hold much merit (unless you're willing to sway the majority of the user bases for both platforms.)

21. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Sorry to hijack this thread but, who is this all knowing governing body that defines what a "PC" is? Breaking down the acronym PC dicates one's own computer and last time I checked, Apple built computers and be damned I'm the one signing the check to pay off Apple's loan. The term PC is open ended and is rightly so open to interpretation.

22. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

thanks for the info

i could have saved some money and just got virtualPC for the two macs i already use, but i guess i will have to update my old PC laptop or when it gives out...my teacher friend, who does command line coding (no gui or graphics) still uses his old 486 for his work from home and post doctorate research stuff...and oh yeah, surfing the net for non work realted topics:p

23. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I woudl suggest the dell becuase they can offer enxt day on site service.
    We loved the SOny Vaios, but stopped buying becuiase repairs could take upwards fo two weeks.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Etymology of sorts

PC is a big catchall, I agree and I think it came from IBM compatible PC, which then got shortened to PC. Trouble is Wintel, Windows-based PC are both hard to say. I can easily say Mac and people understand what I am talking about, but the Intel/Windows/IBM x86 genus doesn't have a convenient short-hand except for PC.
    I try to use Wintel versus Mac.

And now back to your regulary scheduled programming.

25. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Wintel doesn't exactly work if you are dealing with a PC with an AMD processor or one that has Linux on it, though, so it is much more accurate to just say PC rather than Wintel.