What piece of software can do this?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dafke, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

Hi, i want to do something similar as has been done with this Bush portret: make a lot of miniature picture form another image. Its for a short film i'm making in college.
    A fellow student told me there is a piece of software that can do this, but he forgot the name, anybody here who knows?

Attached Files:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I was meaning to ask this question a few weeks back, and then forgot all about it. I too would love to know of anything that can achieve this effect.

3. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

thank you Mr. Anderson, i'm sure one of the 10 programs on that site will do.

to think of the idea to do something like that manually... (that's how i thought they did it)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, if you did it truly manually (aye-yah! :() ... but I think a program that does this would be pretty easy to write. Just come up with a quick and dirty algorithm to approximate the effective single color for each picture by doing an average across all the pixels, and then replace each pixel by its best match.

But yes, the fact that you can download it is nice too! :D

5. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

Well the average price of the software is about $ 25 so if you've got some spare time you can set up a business ;)
    and i'll be your first customer.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You could always do it the ultimate manual method -- like Salvador Dali!

(possibly NSFW)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*giggles* that link spells fart! Almost. *giggles*

I like that Dali picture...I don't think I've ever seen it before. My desktop on the lab Win2k boxes at school is a photo mosaic...which I had to re-find and install on each of the ones I use. Well, one of them has Cloud Strife, but the other two. :rolleyes: *wishes that the system supported a full home-directory-on-the-network....

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I forgot the name of it, but someone on MacDesktops.net used a program that took ALL the google images from google image search of "apple" and made a wallpaper. But he needed to edit it because after releasing it he realized that Google Image search didn't block out ALL the innapropriate images.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Here's one done entirely by hand by the renowned artist Chuck Close:

[​IMG]

His own self-portrait, broken into "pixels" by hand and printed on black paper using different plates etched using the "spitbite" process (where acid is mixed with spit and then used to etch the plates).

Move WAAAAY back from your screen to see the genius of this... and there were NO computers involved. Just eyes and hands (and spit).

11. AnewMac macrumors regular

Ok, that is just way cool. I bet that picture stinks though! :p

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, the spit was used when the printing plates were being etched (and I'm sure they were washed once the etching was complete). There's no spit in the actual print itself. :)

13. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

MacOSaIX does it but not very well. One thing it can do is take all the results from a google image search and use those in the image which is a nice feature.