What places have reliable RAM. Apple store only?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Libersolis, May 4, 2005.

1. Libersolis macrumors newbie

I have noticed that 1 gig of ram is about 300 US dollars at the apple store and have seen it as low as 129 on some online retailers. Now I don't mind spending a little extra to get better quality, but if I can get something for less than half the price it is rather tempting. Is there any place you recommend that has good, fast reliable ram on the cheap, or should I stick with Ram directly from apple only?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

apple's ram is notoriously overpriced. Crucial is a good place, but i say any ram manufacurer that gives a lifetime warranty on their Ram is a good place to get yours from

3. Libersolis thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL I should have never bought that 512 stick of Ram from apple in the first place... Sorry im a bit new to Mac and got owned I guess.. what exactly is crucial? Is there a reliable link thread around here?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

http://www.crucial.com

You didn't necessarily "get owned" by Apple. Depending on what Mac you have. Some Macs are a pain to upgrade RAM later on when you want more.

5. Libersolis thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow looks like I totally got ripped off before. I can get 2 gig of Ram for the Price of 1 gig :mad:

I have an IMAC G5 1.8ghz........very easy to put RAM in.. looks like im going to get some RAM from crucial..

The only reason I bought apples RAM was because a retailer here sold me a gig of bad RAM and it left a bad taste in my mouth. They kept telling me it was my HDD and motherboard and what not, but when I finally removed the RAM to check to see if it was causing my system to crash, my MAC worked fine. It was a big ordeal, and as a result I bought RAM from apple to ensure quality I guess.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

From one extreme to another...
    PC Generic RAM is pretty variable as regards Mac compatibility (as you found out), Apple is at the top of the price heap (as you also found out). Next RAM you buy, look for a seller that guarantees they have tested it compatibile with your model Macintosh, and offers a lifetime warranty. Crucial is good RAM, but sometimes pricier than others. Data Memory Systems is good www.datamem.com. Other MR members have their favorites.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i bought 1gb ram for my powerbook from apple. guess what, it was faulty and had to be replaced. they did it at the apple store without any problem. i don't blame apple. some ram simply does not work. but buying from apple isn't a guarantee either.

andi

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

OtherWorld Computing, which is http://eshop.macsales.com has their own brand of RAM plus TechWorks and both have worked reliably for me for the last 12 years.