What Price Kyoto?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Oct 11, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    NOW can the U.S. raise the mileage requirements? i mean, for chrissake.
  3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    HAHAHAHAHA! And cause our poor, overregulated and over-burdened auto industry to collapse, thus plunging the USA into chaos, and leaving the world without Bush's decisive and consistent leadership? Why, civilization would fall!
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes, this was also covered on the Beeb tonight.

If this is right then we've started something that's going to be hard to stop, especially with Indonesia, India and China economically expanding and increasing their use of fossil fuels as well...
  5. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Attempting to control emissions is just chasing your tail. There's too big a problem and too many emerging countries that would not participate. We need to build up our carbon sinks and we need to do it damn fast. I'm from a Paper-Town so I know how devistating this will be for some communities but I'll say it anyway: The timber industry must be outlawed. There is no room left for cutting trees when what we need is more of them. We need more plantlife of every description.

I cannot adequately express my dismay that the first world is spending all it's time and energy on regulating the countries that already regulate when the biggest problem lies in the countries that don't even measure. Consider the raging slash-and-burn forest fires of the tropical third world. Consider China's 1900's style industrial expansion.

We can no longer afford to sit around jerking the academia off on this one while focusing on pointing fingers and ignoring the obvious solutions.

Only a radical and aggressive programme of international mass re-foliation and the engineering of more heat-tolerant oceanic algae can adequately begin to turn the tide. It may even become neccessary to simulate the kind of species-redistribution that occurs in a global conflagration.

We have created a long-term effect that initiated at the end of the previous Ice Age when our ancestors discovered how to survive the glaciers with fire. We cannot afford to continue splitting hairs over who's to blame. We have spent millenia creating a slow simalcrum (sp?) of a global conflagration but have failed to see the scope of our actions until now. The ecosystem is well equipped to deal with such adversity but it requires stirring the pot. We need to use the same chaos that follows a catastrophe like a Deep Impact or Yellowstone-scale cauldera to get the ecosphere to work it's dammage control. Species are redistributed by sudden catastrophes in ways that our slow simulation does not. This is a neccesary and critical component to resetting the ecosphere to adequately respond to a new range of atmospheric conditions.

We have the tools to save ourselves. We only lack the confidence and resolve to do what is necessary. With a few subtle GMO's and a LOT of B-52 bomb-runs packed with seedlings.

We need to think coherently about our existing forests. Logging is counterproductive. Thinning isn't. It's perfectly OK to go out with some tools and cout out the bulk of the dead brush and trees so long as it's all chipperred, mulched and stays there. Gotta get that carbon in the ground. If we can keep the forests healthy and encourage new growth we can begin to turn things around.

We can also work to use those farm subsidies for something more productive than growing food that's just going to rot or tobacco that's just going to kill people (and generate CO2 in the process). Get those farmers planting forests of the fastest growing trees, shrubs, vines, etc. they can find. There's finally a good use for Kudzu kids: combatting global warming.

We can use subsidies for fishermen in various parts of the country to have them growing common Hair Algae in huge vats to be simply harvested and buried.

There are a lot of things we can do to take an agressive stance. We just need to get past the blame game and take some ****ing initiative. :mad: