What program/process did you use to transfer to NEW HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gr80Likes2Boogi, Aug 14, 2010.

?

What app/process did you migrate your data with?

1. Migration Assistant/Time Machine

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Super Duper!

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Carbon Copy Cloner

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Other (please specify!)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. macrumors regular

About to do this process, and there are a MILLION threads about HOW to, but I'd like to know what process you used to transfer data to a new HDD and WHY!

2. macrumors 6502

time machine/ migration assistant, it works SO well it does 1 transfer you reset your computer and it boots as though that was your hd the whole time =D its quite wonderful, although when i get my new computer all i am taking is my itunes/iphoto library i am trying to keep it clean =D haha it was so easy though recommend it for sure!!!

3. macrumors 6502a

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm. I guess I'll go with Time Machine, then! I have a few licenses that will need to transfer over, but I was under the impression that time machine/migration assistant couldn't (or wouldn't) move apps as well. Well, once I get the new HDD, I'll just tinker =) It's all backed up anyway, so I'm safe if I -somehow- goof it up.

5. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

Since this is my first MacBook Pro, I couldn't use TimeMachine or anything like that on Windows. So I just put all of my files on an external hard drive, and organized them folder by folder as I copied them to my Mac. Everything went very smoothly.

6. macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't; I just reinstalled; my important files are stored on external drives and online backups.

7. macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

8. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

How: SuperDuper!
    Why: I could still use the computer while migrating to a new machine.

I've used Time Machine in the past when it first arrived on scene and it was slow so didn't convince me to switch.

9. macrumors 6502

hmm not sure about the first time machine, but you can use your computer while it is installing, its like a back up but the opposite, but you don't have you stuff on the computer until it all installs and resets >_<

10. macrumors 6502a

I just did this process yesterday - my first time!

I used migration assistant/time machine. I too heard it wouldn't transfer licenses, or large apps. I've got the entire FCP editing suite.

NO issues whatsoever - transferred over just fine. In fact I'm using my FCP right now.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

I'm transferring everything at the moment, using CCC. I guess I can vote in my own poll now!! Unfortunately, the enclosure that the Seagate is in is only a usb2.0, so the clone is taking forreeeevver.... That's fine, I'm going to go to sleep et voila!! In the morning, I'll switch the HDD's and carry on- with 180 extra gigabytes =)

EDIT:

Just woke up, with CCC bouncing in the dock saying it's done. Switched out the HDD's, and had a prolonged, blank gray screen. After maybe 15-20 seconds, Apple logo =)

Capacity: 499.76 GB
    Available: 266.04 GB
    Used: 233.72 GB