What programs will I need. Im a convert.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sammyman, Mar 28, 2005.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I am ordering my iMac in a few weeks and want to know what software I will need, if any, to do some basic tasks. These include...

Making a pdf file
    converting .wav to .mp3
    croping images
    file sharing, like kazaa?
    importing .mp3 for sound clips in iMovie (or do I need final cut)
    zip function
    isyncing a pocket pc
    defraging+partitioning a hard drive

Can I do all of these things with the software that comes with an iMac or do I need more software. Thanks

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Making a pdf file - Can do this directly within OSX. Editing PDFs requires Acrobat as usual

converting .wav to .mp3 - iTunes (included)

croping images - iPhoto, (included) Graphic Convertor (shareware - does Apple include this with the machine? Can't remember), Photoshop Elements (Commercial)

file sharing, like kazaa? - not going to touch this one

importing .mp3 for sound clips in iMovie (or do I need final cut) - iMovie

zip function - Stuffit Expander to uncompress (included), or shareware

isyncing a pocket pc - iSync (included) plus conduit for device. MissingSync (commercial) if device not supported.

defraging+partitioning a hard drive - Comes with OS - Defragging is done automatically, partitioning is not necessary but can be done if desired when you format a new drive

A good resource for software available for the Mac is www.versiontracker.com

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool. Thanks for the answer(s). Was the kazaa thing a dumb question? Does it have a Mac version. Sorry, not to good with computers.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

We don't discuss trading of copyrighted materials on this forum.

For me that extends to discussing the software that allows participation in predominantly illegal materials. (Yes I know about the two people who actually use it for sending their own creative works. Yes I know that in selected countries it is not precisely illegal. PM me if you want my CopyRant (TM) again, I'll not do it here)

Plus personally, I think it is a Really Bad Idea (TM) to explicitly open your hard drive to strangers. Call me foolish. :p

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If cropping is actually all you need, iPhoto will do it fine. Also if you don't want to store your photos in iPhoto, for just cropping, Preview will actually do it too. Preview is Apple's generic document viewer. It primarily gets used to view PDFs, at which it is very good (I actually haven't even downloaded Acrobat reader). But it can also open images, and it can crop them.

iPhoto also offers basic enhancement features for images, like lighting adjustment, conversion to b&w or sepia tone, red-eye reduction, etc. The only thing you may or may not like about it is that it is designed around the paradigm of being a photo album, much like iTunes is designed to hold your music, and unlike, say, Windows Media Player, which at least in the past, was perfectly happy just letting you click file->open if you wanted to. If you are primarily working with photos you want to keep around, then this aspect of iPhoto will probably work out wonderfully for you (I use it a lot). If you are primarily editing random pictures for web use or something like that, it might not be the best solution....

GraphicConverter, AFAIK, comes with powerbooks and maybe powermacs? It doesn't come with any of the iXXXX computers, or, I think, with the mini. But to make it up you get Soundstudio. :D

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry. I didn't realize that everything on Kazaa was copyrighted. I thought that it could also be used to share uncopyrighted files as well....

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It can, and probably is, but like Torrent, it mostly isn't. Anyway, for whatever reason, file sharing is not a popular topic of conversation here. Meaning a lot of the regulars don't use it, and understand the basic technology of P2P but don't really know the apps that well. So beyond not wanting to give you advice, we don't have any good advice either. ;)

Plus, I'm willing to bet you that with Google and a search phrase like "p2p mac" or something like that, you can find a Mac app for what you want within a minute flat. Send a person a link, and they will be satisfied for a day. Teach them to Google, and they will never go hungry again. :D

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No such thing as file without copyright. Copyright is created automatically by the act of creating the work. Now the right to use the file varies with whether the author has put it into the public domain or whether they have reserved their rights, the age of the file (works enter the public domain after a certain period of time - varies with the type of work but not less than 50 years), the origin (for example, US President's speeches are automatically in the public domain).

At any rate: An argument by exception does not invalidate the general rule. Whether or not a tool can theoretically be used in a non-infringing way does not counter the fact that in practice it is used to infringe copyright by a ratio of, I would guess, about 1,000,000 to 1. Your opinion may vary of course.

For the final word on the subject, please re-read the Forum terms of use that Arn has posted.

9. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well thanks for all of the good advice. I am getting excited for my new iMac.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Ask about this on the forum and watch the Ban Hamster visit your home.

I bet you could find some for the Mac however...

11. Logik macrumors 6502a

Give me a break... god you guys are anal.

Filesharing doesnt mean copyrighted works. as such until you start talking about finding particular things then talking about filesharing should be permitted. As such, here we go.

if you are interested in torrents, there's Azureus (http://azureus.sf.net) and Tomato Torrent (sorry no active addy here, give a search on google or version tracker)

Other filesharing apps include Acquisition (http://www.acquisitionx.com/) which some like and others dislike. There's plenty of apps out there.

In fact just to prove you guys are so anal, i believe the authors of this website (http://www.mac-p2p.com/) are run by the same people as this website.

And no, there are those regulars who might not use p2p apps for illegal purposes, but in all likelihood MOST do, sorry but mac users are not inherently more good than windows users, so quit with the freakin self-rightousness ok?

If it wasn't for p2p filesharing we wouldn't have iTMS or Napster (blah well.. you get the idea).. you wouldn't have the iPod, you wouldn't have lower cd prices now. Filesharing has made the music business quite a bit better, they might be sueing users but it certainly brought a lot to us by stealing music, now the same will be done to movies and tv shows. You want to force higher prices on us? Fine, we'll steal it until you offer us what we want at a reasonable price. Might be illegal but stealing says quite a bit, sure might be better to say "well i won't watch movies" or "i won't watch those tv shows".. that's great and all but how likely is that? by stealing you say "hey look, we wanna watch these movies, but you are making it too expensive to make it worthwhile." in a way. You can argue it all you want but peer-to-peer has made quite a drastic change in a lot of media related things in the past few years.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

www.macp2p.com is where questions about file sharing should be directed

great database about the options that are out there

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And oddly, the first hit I get for "mac p2p" on Google. :D

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think its maintained by Arn who owns MR too, but they should be kept separate

i could be wrong on this though, forgot where i heard it

15. Logik macrumors 6502a

16. Logik macrumors 6502a

correct. both are registered to Arn. a simple whois lookup tells the tale

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

ADDENDUM:

zipping of files is built into Panther. "Create Archive of foo" in the contextual menu will create a zip of whatever you've selected.