what qualifications must u have to be mac tech

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Gokhan, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

hi

i am 22 and have been using and moderately repairing macs and pcs for about as long as i can remember !

i am currently doing a ba in interactive media at university and have a qualification in avce business advanced from college !

what qualifications do i need to get a job repairing and serviceing macs i love fixing stuff :)

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

that would depend on your employer. this is a good place to start.

http://train.apple.com/certification/

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I've repaired Macs at a certified apple repair centre when i was 15. My experiences: using a Mac since before conception (father's side) and having dismantled :eek: an SE at the age of 12. During summer holiday my first job was to replace the monitor cable of one of Apple's all in one models, at least 20 of them. It could have been the PM 5200, i'm not sure. It was '96 maybe someone remembers having screen problems with one of those.
    Two years later i went back for another month and found myself repairing Wall Streets. It was a nice job to have.

Having that of my chest i can just say that if you want to do a job like that, just start looking and apply. Convinse them you can do the job and hope for a faulty component in one of their newer products. Just don't let it be the mini.

Good luck

4. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok

thanks guys went to apples page which seems a paper qualification i want a course which teach's practicly

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

they have that too :p keep reading

from my understanding to get a hardware cert you need to attend their hardware seminar which is hands-on. i wouldn't doubt paper certs, they make your pay check bigger and get you through the door past hiring managers.

6. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok

so what qualifications would i need to attend this hands on course can u post a link there site just confuses me :)

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You're kidding right? :confused:

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

nuk nuk nuk

http://train.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebO...lbnRpdHlOYW1lIiA9ICJBSVNUQ291cnNlIjsKfQ%3d%3d

http://train.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebO...lbnRpdHlOYW1lIiA9ICJBSVNUQ291cnNlIjsKfQ%3d%3d

Just realized you're in London.

http://train.apple.com/aatc/locations/europe.html

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I don't think you have to worry about it, seriously.

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I'd love to do some of those courses... Is there an minimum age requirement of them?

11. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well, for starters, Apple will hire you if you actually SPELL OUT the word "you"

12. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok

look man i am not some dumb ****er so dont treat me like one

ok ?

i am building a site for my uni so i am not getting that much sleep so spare me the ****** treatment all i was saying was i can't see apple letting average joe's taking these course's without some sort of know how !!!!

found a company amsys that deals with training

p.s no disrespect intended :)

thanks to all people with positive remarks

To all others its easy to make fun of others so none of you ever needed help ?

dont think so !!

13. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok

wow its costs £2350 for a 7 day course where you can gain Certification
    unless i can get a grant for this i will have to wait till i got some more money

is it even worth it ? will i get a job with this certification ?

see why i am so paranoid is because i did electrical installation for 2 years only to be told in the real world because i have no on site experience i would not be hired even though i was fully qualified

i dont wanna go through that again ):

14. qzak macrumors 6502

i know with Microsoft Certification, if you are working IT already your employer will most likely pay for your training as long as you pass the tests. i don't see why your job dealing with Macs would be any different.

course you want your certification before gettin a job, but you could always just get another job first and have them pay for it so u can either get a raise or leave for a better paying job after being certified.

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Micorosoft server 2003 course bored the pants off me - i was like yeah wow when all the other tech nerds got excited over AD , maybe not for me i thinks lol

Apple on the other hand i do give a dam about so maybe i might go for that apple techy training on the apple site for £209 and see were it leads me.

16. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok

yeah i am at uni right now doing a ba hons in interactive media but there is a recruitment link on the amys website so maybe i can get a trainee job to start with and have them pay for the course !!!

seems hard to get in to the mac industry :)

thanks to all

p.s forgive and forget

17. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You don't "need" to go through Apple Training Courses to get AppleCare Certified. You can buy the AppleCare Certification Kit from the Apple Store $249 (US), study that and then sign up for the exams.

Apple goes through a company called Prometric (www.prometric.com)to do their exams. There are tons of locations worldwide. A lot of them are at colleges. Yours maybe one of them. There are 3 exams, a Desktop, Portables, and Mac OS X exams. Each exam is $150 (US). In order to get certified you need to pass the Desktop and Mac OS X exams at minimum. This will allow you to work on Desktops and Mac OS X issues, but you won't be able to work on portables. If you pass all 3 exams you are fully certified to work on any kind of new(er) Mac. Those are Macs that aren't beige basically.

I just got done with a second interview for a MacGenius position at an Apple Retail Store near by and the guy I who was interviewing me said that they will train you if they want to hire you. Just because you're not certified, doesn't mean you won't get a position in an Apple Retail Store.

Also, you can go to www.peachpit.com and buy 2 books. One is called Desktop and Portable Systems, and the other, Mac OS X Help Desk Essentials. These are Apple Certified Books that are specifically designed to train you for Apple Certification Exams. Both books are around $50 (US).

Apple Interviews aren't quite as bad as I thought they'd be. Basically you tell about your background, dealing with Macs, and other technologies. Then you go through about 30 minutes of Q&A where a recruiter will ask you a series of questions. Some are really easy, some are really hard. If you get a second interview, then you've done good. If not, then I wouldn't expect to get the position you applied for. The second interview, they didn't ask me any technical questions. It was just a meeting with someone from Apple and its basically a get to know you talk. You talk again about your background, what would you do in certain situations, etc... So you may know your Mac stuff, buy if you can't be a people person, Apple doesn't want you.

I hope this helps you.

18. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok

hugely thanks

i will pick up the books and study

will contact amys about junior positions its just so hard to make time with uni !!!

i really want to get in to a repair position rather than retail but we all have to start somewhere so i wont mind anything :)

probably will go through exam route as its much cheaper this is what these's forums should be about so heads up people

thanks