What qualifies a thread to be locked?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dogbone, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogbone macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    I posted a thread about a bogus cia email but it was almost immediately locked.

I can see from the links posted in it that it has been brought up before, but that can't be the reason for locking a thread or there would be many more locked threads.

So why did it get locked.
  2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005

Because it was redundant and could be solved by using that magical SEARCH feature.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    -wandering off topic
    -heated debate that gets personal
    -dumb posts
    -post to gain higher count
    -edesign having a bad day or offending him.:D
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    it got too awesome ...

kind of a good question and pretty soon this one will be locked too
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    You forgot, the biggie...

Complaining about, or asking why a thread got locked.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    It got locked because the question had been answered in your thread and in others before.

It was also a question that could have been answered by 5 seconds of googling. It had reached the limits of its interest and was going nowhere fast.

Perhaps this one will also be locked as well because publicly questioning a mods decision instead of PMing them for an explanation occasionally results in a locked thread instead of the answer that you are looking for.
  7. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    First off all, when you see Sun Baked post a reply, that's the sure-fire sign a thread is imminent for a lock-down or ready for the Wasteland.

Plus, other signs to look out for is a naughty Kermit the Frog and a purple Hippo.

You might want to take this thread into the Site and Forum Feedback forum if you want more serious discussions. <--- debatable

Although this is a good topic, albeit a little obvious.
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Also, if there are more than six combined replies by Shard, Lacero, Yellow, Mad Jew, or myself, pretty much no good can come from the thread, and it will eventually be locked down.

*counts posts in this thread* :eek:

We're sort of like the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, except there are five of us, and Lacero's gender is highly uncertain. :eek:
  9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    I have noticed that.:D
  10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I need to learn how to ride now (a horse). :eek:

Will this post close the thread?...
  11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I have a sudden urge to listen to Pony by Ginuwine. :eek:
  12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Do you have a license for your minkey?

If not, can I buy it from you? :D
  13. Seasought macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
    The whole uncertain gender thing must be something I haven't been around long enough to understand.

I was quite comfortable in my judgment on that, now my beliefs are shaken to the core. :p

Oops, digression...moving along. :D
  14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Just the PM would have sufficed, didn't need a thread too :rolleyes:

As I said...it was closed because the question had been answered several times, links provided, and didn't need anyone else posting exactly the same thing over and over, or for you to get even more scrutiny for having thought there might actually be something to it, and not having searched in the first place.

pssss, hear that? That's the big lock coming down on this thread too [​IMG] :eek: :rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.