What Radio Station do you listen

Discussion in 'Community' started by joetronic, Jan 14, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

With the death of WHFS, I have been searching the local radio stations trying to find something that doesn't suck (not that WHFS was the best, nope, not by far.) Well...here in the Balto-DC metro area theres some slim pickings. And this made me wonder....

What radio stations do you all listen to on a regular basis? I have been listening to WAMU 88.5 for a few years now. Its NPR radio.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

KPIG 107oink5 in the Santa Cruz area and 94oink9 in San Luis Obispo. Best radio station ever!

4. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

SportsTalk WKNR, Cleveland. That, or AirAmerica via the internet.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I pretty much only ever listen to NPR. But most of the time I work in silence. The loudest thing in the room is the barely audible whir of my iBook G4.

7. candan9019 macrumors regular

Were I am we don't get Toronto stations very good unfortunetly, but when I'm in Toronto it's always The Edge.

In Denver I always listened to Channel 93.3. Sure do miss it but The Edge is pretty good too.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There's only one radio station in DC any more....XMRadio (They're headquarters/broadcast station is at Florida and NewYork Ave) :D

Still can't believe WHFS went to Salsa?!?! And no more HFestival! :confused: :(

D

9. brap macrumors 68000

AfterhoursDJs@160k, on iTunes.

No, really. 'Real' radio in this country generally consists of moronic DJs catering to the lowest common denominator. Classic FM used to be good, but I've not heard it in years... BBC Radio 4 is good, BBC Radio 2 on the odd occasion, but anything else is utter pap.

Especially college radio stations. *shudder* wonder if those monkeys at my uni are streaming yet? They were "trying" to get it working for the past 3 years. Such an academic elite. I appear to have wandered off-topic somehow... :p ;) :rolleyes:

10. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I know. Seimpre De Fiesta now. Oh well, at least I have my NPR. The festival wasn't that good the last two years either. Actually, none of the WHFS big shows were either, like the nutkracker and all.

I still need to get XMRadio, maybe it'll be an early b-day present to myself (if the old ball and chain lets me, lol)

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I listen to 96.9 FM Talk Radio WTTK here in Boston. Have been a loyal listener since early 2000. My wife got me started with the station. It was Mike Barnacle they first got here attention to be a listener. Now the majority of our day is spent with them.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

One of the last independent rock stations in the country, 106.9 WCCC out of Hartford.

Actually the number 1 music station in the state.

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I listen to RadioPower.org, which is one of the default talk radio streams on iTunes. I also co-host a show on WNUR 89.3 FM.

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I listen to
    90.3 KEXP Accessible from iTunes
    and watch
    CBC RADIO 3 Flash multimedia website, kind of like an online magazine

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

at home: zero zip nada

in the car
    FM4 all the way... they have very broad music range besides outside of normal radio stuff

16. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

B101 - oldies!
    WRNI - Rhode Island NPR station. Better than the Boston station, except WRNI doesn't have Praire Home Companion. :(

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Radio? How quaint.

I haven't listened to commercial radio in years (by choice, that is), especially with the consolidation that has been going on (Yes, Clear Channel, I'm looking at you).

That said, traditionally, I have listened to NPR occasionally and the local college station depending on the city. I am also a fan of the 80's throwback pop shows that have limited-runs on some stations.

20. Benj macrumors regular

Not just good. Worth the licence fee a million times over.

My surrogate family for the last 10 years.....

To all of you haven't checked it out go to bbc.co.uk. In particular - I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue (funniest "British" comedy around - how to make fellow tube travellers think you are a mentalist). Everything is available for a week after broadcast, which of course can be put into iTunes with irecordmusic.com or similar.

21. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

in san antonio, 1200AM WOAI, or 89.1FM (forget the call letters)
    the first one is basically talk radio, but they have art bell! 89.1's npr. only listen to the bbc world service morning news thing (starts at 11 over here; im mostly a late-night radio listener)
    my favorite internet radio is NBOX comedy on itunes. gotta love it!

22. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I'm 36 and WHFS was one of my favorites, particularly in the early 90s.

Get XM. XMU (43) is the "college station"-- kind of the pre-HFS

Fred (44) is 70s and 80s alternative-- WHFS in 88

Ethel (47) Lucy (54) alternative hits-- WHFS in 98

Plus several other good selections-- no commercials-- well worth $10 a month

23. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Any radio station that plays Tom Leykis is a good radio station! Oh Yeah! :cool:

Actually no radio station plays liberal (or shock) talk in neoconservative Alaska. :mad:

So I tune-in over the Internet to KPFA Berkeley, CA and of course the Atheist Radio Network, click in my signature to listen to that.

24. HowieBerry macrumors newbie

HowieBerry

London's Heart 106.2 FM.

It plays music that isn't people swearing every five seconds over the top of a bass beat whilst some poor sample of a good song gets trashed in the background.