What RAM (brand) works best?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by galstaph, Sep 21, 2006.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

OK so I'll probably be returning my kingston ram see thread as I am still getting random freezes (still passes memtest though [done it about 7 times; techtool pro check about 5 times]).
    So I was looking around and no-one local sells ram for my ibook specifically, (except apple specific resellers but they want over 200 for it), so off to the internet.
    I can get ram from Tigerdirect and Canadaram
    From Canadaram I can get 1gb for 199 CAD, (209 for samsung), I feel this is a bit on the pricey side though at Tiger I can choose from these that I think should work:
    PNY 1Gb (checked with PNY's website says yes it will work) only 151.99
    OCZ 1gb for 161.99
    Crucial for 171.99
    and Centon Apple G4 ram for 196.99
    So my question is this: Does anyone have experience with any of these brands/resellers and how good they are?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I can tell you that I would trust CanadaRAM implicitly....Trevor from CanadaRAM was a regular and extremely helpful poster here for many years before taking a break recently. They are very friendly and really know what they're doing.

I'm assuming all of the other prices you're quoting are in USD, right? I know there's not that much difference in the exchange rate these days, but it does make CanadaRAM seem a bit pricey (compared to my past experience) if everything there is quoted in CAD.

3. galstaph thread starter macrumors 6502a

galstaph

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...some PPC Macs are notoriously picky about RAM, which is why I have always purchased from trusted retailers. The Crucial RAM should be okay, but I don't know about the others.

That said, I stay far away from Tiger Direct. They've had a lot of complaints over the years and are rated "unsatisfactory" by the Better Business Bureau. I don't want to have to deal with stuff like that when I'm buying.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I also hear good things about Crucial, good return policy if there is a problem.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i got my MBP RAM from OWC. i don't know what the general consenus is with them, but i haven't had any problems and i paid just over $200 for 2GB.

i also don't know how OWC RAM performs in PPC machines.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Crucial RAM is generally good quality, but he's talking about buying it from TigerDirect, which complicates return policies.

And I refuse to patronize Crucial.com due to their shady pricing games.

OWC RAM is very good...I've bought from them for PPC machines several times. They have an excellent reputation on this site. But I don't know anything about their shipping policies to Canada. They do have 1 GB sticks for your iBook for the equivalent of about $155 CAD if you can get them to ship to you.

8. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Were they the ones doing the progressive pricing?

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've always seen it referred to as dynamic pricing, but yes...depending on what browser you're using, what product you're buying the RAM for, and what else you've looked at on their site, they'll give you a different price for the same RAM.

10. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

If you wanna be cheap you can go to ramseeker. They have a list of websites that offer Mac RAM and all their prices. I got my 512 stick from OMNITechnologies and the stick was made by "GeeDom". I have no idea who these people are but I got both of their 512 memory sticks in my Sawtooth and they work great.

11. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

That's interesting :rolleyes: