Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I am planning to buy 16gb for a 2012 Mini with a 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Processor. What type of RAM would you recommend?

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Honestly, I say go to Newegg and get the cheapest one. Even the "no-names" likely source their NAND from the same manufacturers like Hynix, Samsung, etc.

These days, there's no need to buy special "for Mac" RAM anymore, as they use basically off the shelf Intel chipsets and aren't picky like the PowerPC days. As long as the specs are right, they should work just fine. OWC provides great service and some good products, but many of their products are overpriced.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Its good to know there are a lot of options. I'm looking forward to putting my system together, with luck I think it will ship Monday.

Once the ram is installed, what apps do you use to test it?

Bartzca

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Just an FYI,

G Skill #F3-1600C11D-16GSQ is not compatible in Late 2012 Mac Mini.

Purchased from Newegg after reading some feedback that it worked I ordered some.

Worked well for an hour or so and noticeable speed increase then first lock up.

Swapped them around and re seated and kept locking up.

Ran the Mac Hardware Test and locked up almost immediately during memory test.

esmith2039

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Just an FYI,

Purchased from Newegg after reading some feedback that it worked I ordered some.

Mine has ran almost a day and hasn't locked up. I'd say you got a bad chip.

Bartzca

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Mine has ran almost a day and hasn't locked up. I'd say you got a bad chip.

I thought of getting replacement and trying again, however Newegg.ca is already going to cost $25.00 to ship back, if it happens again it'll be another $25 to send back again.

I'm going to try another brand entirely and spin the wheel one more time.

I did email G Skill support and received reply back in 12 hours saying:

"The memory kit you have purchased is not designed for Mac products. Please
contact your retailer to see if you can exchange for a "FA-1600C11D-16GSQ",
which is a memory kit designed for Mac products.

Please feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.
Thank you for choosing G.Skill.

Best Regards

Tech Support Team, F.A.E."

Which is the ram I should have ordered in the first place.

I didn't because 2012 Mac Mini wasn't listed and G Skill's website RAM Configurator doesn't work. With no reviews on Newegg I went with the one others were saying worked.

Kind of a shot in the dark, but this is my first mac, I've built probably a dozen PC's over the years and NEVER had DOA RAM so I'm a little leery.

If my replacement works I'll post results here.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013

esmith2039

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
I thought of getting replacement and trying again, however Newegg.ca is already going to cost $25.00 to ship back, if it happens again it'll be another $25 to send back again.

I'm going to try another brand entirely and spin the wheel one more time.

I did email G Skill support and received reply back in 12 hours saying:

"The memory kit you have purchased is not designed for Mac products. Please
contact your retailer to see if you can exchange for a "FA-1600C11D-16GSQ",
which is a memory kit designed for Mac products.

Please feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.
Thank you for choosing G.Skill.

Best Regards

Tech Support Team, F.A.E."

Which is the ram I should have ordered in the first place.

I didn't because 2012 Mac Mini wasn't listed and G Skill's website RAM Configurator doesn't work. With no reviews on Newegg I went with the one others were saying worked.

Kind of a shot in the dark, but this is my first mac, I've built probably a dozen PC's over the years and NEVER had DOA RAM so I'm a little leery.

If my replacement works I'll post results here.

My mistake didn't catch the first 2 letters, FS versus FA. I had a choice between Crucial and Gskill the only reason I went with the gskill was due to the fact no taxes with newegg. Didn't care for newegg's shipping so might be the last order.

Bartzca

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Just an FYI,

Update:

Recwived Corsair Vengeance http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076W9Q5A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Been running for about 6 hours with no issues.

I won't bother to update again unless problems arise.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
I am looking to upgrade my RAM in my newly bought Mac Mini 2012. I have always bought from OWC but Seeing how i can save over $20 by going with Crucial I think I will take a gamble. Does anyone recommend going this route?

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
I am looking to upgrade my RAM in my newly bought Mac Mini 2012. I have always bought from OWC but Seeing how i can save over $20 by going with Crucial I think I will take a gamble. Does anyone recommend going this route?

I would. I like OWC, but prefer Crucial RAM over just about any other brand. The fact that its cheaper only sweetens the deal.

----------

Update:

Recwived Corsair Vengeance http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076W9Q5A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Glad the Corsair Vengeance is working for you. There is no reason the G.SKILL RAM shouldn't have worked for you, besides a bad chip. I'm actually running the faster CL10 version of that RAM that I picked up for $59 before the price jump. Works flawlessly.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Ive always used crucial and have not had issue. also the memtest suggested is good practice.

i suggest always keeping the original memory. i like to leep it in the crucial box

its tempting to make a few shekels, but just in case i have orig nearby. also good should you need to send to apple.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

No need to worry about Crucial. They make great RAM that I have never had issues with. Definitely save the $20 over the OWC.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I tried setting it up the mini with the OWC 16 gb ram last night and ran rember twice. The test threw this error:
Block Sequential : (trimmed).... setting 113 of 256testing 113 of 256

FAILURE! Data mismatch at local BUFA address 0x0000000165b834c0, BUFB address 0x00000002a2d17cc0
BUFA Data: 0x7070707070707070, BUFB Data: 0x7070707060707070

What does this "block sequential" failure mean? I am going to look at potentially running some more tests before passing judgement.. but its not looking good. The test failed in the same place twice.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Update:

No problems with the Corsair here either. I've been running the 16GB upgrade on my 2012 Mac Mini 24/7 for a couple of days now without issue. Wasn't as good of a deal as some of you got, but the price was decent and Amazon delivered quickly.

PS - I am amazed at how much better the Mac runs with 16GB of memory! I don't have an SSD, but everything loads quickly and there is of course no swapping to and from the hard disk. I have Windows 7 installed via Virtualbox and it was making my Mini very sluggish before the RAM upgrade. But now I have dedicated 2GB just for the virtual machine and both the Mac and Windows 7 can run simultaneously without slowing down my Mac at all. Just an anecdote for those interested...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.