what ram to buy off newegg?????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Raidersmojo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

I'm getting a powerbook and need to know the type of ram to get I know its DDR 333 but not sure of the pins or what brand to get....suggestions and or links to the ram anyone????

I don't want to order a gig of it have it arrive install it and then have it not work :(

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

go to crucial.com and look up what the specs are on the memory for a powerbook.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you don't want to risk the RAM not working, then don't buy from NewEgg. They do not guarantee compatibility with Macs at all.

Your Powerbook needs PC2700, 333 MHz 200 pin DDR SODIMMs 2.5 Volts. BUT -- that's not the whole specification required for compatibility. The SPD (serial Presence Detect) settings have to be exactly right for it to be Mac compatible. You will never see the SPD values advertised and there's no way to tell by looking.

Even an endorsement that it worked for someone on a different model Powerbook is not enough, as the Macs vary in their tolerance of out-of-spec memory. The only way to know whether the RAM is compatible or not is to install and test.

So what I recommend -- especially for new Mac owners who don't want to run the risk of having to send it back and pay the shipping and/or restocking charges -- is to purchase from a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model of Mac, has a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

If you are in the USA, posters on MR have recommended Crucial, RamJet, OWC/macsales. I recommend Data Memory Systems

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com