What really is UT 2004?

Discussion in 'Games' started by G4-power, Jun 27, 2004.

1. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

I'm not really a Mac gamer, I've usually used my PlayStation for gaming, but since we're getting an at least 2x2 GHz G5 with possibly 9600XT within the next 9 months, it'd be a shame not to get a few games on it.
    So I've been looking in the Apple Store, and elsewhere for fancy Mac games, and I bumped into UT 2004, which sounds really good. It actually sounds like the ultimate game for Mac. Could someone briefly tell me what kind of game really this is, and of it's single-player capabilities/with bots (as a new gamer I'll practice with single-player mode before participating in real online gaming)? Also what other games would you suggest for this kind of machine (no, a 350 MHz G4 isn't such of a gaming machine, I mean the G5)?
    PS. Anyone got a suggestion for a nice mic or headset I could use in Voice-over-IP?

2. applekid macrumors 68020

The UT story has been always about gladiators duking it out with guns in random worlds. Simply put, it's one of those mindless killers where all you have to do is shoot anything that moves.

I would've upgraded that graphics card to a 9800XT or buy a Radeon 9800 Pro or Special Edition (whichever option is cheaper. The cards are comparable. The XT is better than the SE and the SE is better than the Pro). I don't know how well the 9600XT runs UT2K4, but a 9800 should any G5 users ideal gaming graphics card.

It's not the ultimate Mac game. It's the ultimate "frag-fest" on both PCs and Mac. Single player has two modes. Instant Action is a fight with bots that you customize. In the single-player ladder, you must work your way up the food chain, draft and defeat teammates, pay salaries, manage a budget, and defend your team against Blood Fist challenges from other teams. (copying that sentence from insidemacgames.com)

The fun is online. Vehicle fights, people to kill, guns everywhere, etc. Total chaos, but fun. Think of it as a complex paintball or laser tag game.

Read the review: http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=491

I will never buy this game only because my machine sucks, but the game is great fun online. The G5 is the perfect machine to play it.

Some other high-end games I recommend are America's Army (free), Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, Halo, Call of Duty, Command and Conquer: Generals, and Worms 3D (not really high-end, but fun). And of course, there's plenty of the other games on the way. Please do check out insidemacgames.com for your Mac gaming needs.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I disagree. For a casual gamer, the price point of the 9800XT isn't worth it. The 9600XT will move any game out there with no slowdowns with reasonable graphics settings.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Unreal 2004 is probably one of my favorite games for the Mac. I actually sold my Xbox after buying it because I never wanted to play anything on the Xbox after experiencing gaming on the Mac. I have about a dozen games on the Mac and don't even miss Xbox.

The soundsticks that I bought with my G5 really make the games sound good. Xbox 2 will have a G5 by the way.

5. G4-power thread starter macrumors 6502

G4-power

Thanks for the info. I've played Worms 3D and Rainbow Six and I liked them, especially Rainbow Six. I possibly won't be getting a 9800 because they are quite expensive, and with 128 MB of VRAM on the 9600 XT I think it's enough. UT sounds like a "nice" game.

6. G4-power thread starter macrumors 6502

G4-power

That's what I thought too. The 9600 Xt sounds quite fast with 128 megs of VRAM and all. And since the 9800 XT is over 300 $...

7. applekid macrumors 68020

VRAM does not equal power, but I'm sure the 9600 is plenty of power for now anyway. :)

8. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I got the original 9600 Pro myself, and I'm very happy with it. It has only got 64 MB of VRAM, but when playing UT2k4 on my dual 2 Ghz G5 I get an average fps of 30-60 (depends on the map), which is good enough for me. The 9800 is still too expensive considering it will only be bought to increase gaming experience.

By the way, you should check out Team G5! We have been playing both UT2k3 and UT2k4 since November last year, and we've grown to become possibly the world's largest Mac clan. Now we're entering the playoffs in the TeamWarfare Onslaught Spring League, and we're hoping for a good result. It's time for us Mac gamers to gather and show our PC 'colleagues' what we're good for!

9. G4-power thread starter macrumors 6502

G4-power

30-60 fps sounds good, since movies are usually 24 or 25 fps, i think that's enough. Team G5 sounds really nice, hope I'll have a G5 and UT 2k4 for Spring 2005.

Yeah I know VRAM doesn't equal power, but like you said, the 9600 has got quite much enough power for now.

10. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Perhaps this is a stupid question but can Mac gamers compete against PC gamers in UT2004? How about other games? I was under the impression that games was one of the few areas of incompatibility between Macs and PCs. However, Zenith's comment below made me think otherwise.

Squire

11. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I know that the PC and Mac versions of Halo can play togeather. Don't know about any other games.

Also, is there any possible way to get Halo to run on a 12-inch iBook G4 800Mhz with I think either 32MB or 64Mb of VRAM? I can't remember which. It runs Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 without a hitch, graphics are reasonanbly good (it as free with my mac).

12. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

Ut2k4 is a good game- the idea is that a large arena battle takes place and that you are one of the gladiators. The one thing that has always made me get UT (whatever version it is), is the mods (some just modify the guns, ammo- others completely change the game if not use the unreal engine for their own game). Sure I can't explain all of them but some major ones are- ChaosUT2, Alien swarm (think of it as a 3rd person P.O.V. with team members and a bug hunt motif), The star wars stormtrooper/Rebel footsoilder (AT-AT's, etc.) and many others that if you search for are verry fun.
    Also there is maps that are verry well done, Sort of like Icarus, and many others- verry nice. Also some of the current models out for your player are nicely done, example- Bender from futurama with all of his taunts and catch phrases from the show. Good places to start looking for links are- beyondunreal, planetunreal, and many others that I don't remember right now. With the G5 and your card you should have no problems with getting good frame rates and high details on.

13. applekid macrumors 68020

Yes it can. In fact, it can connect to UT's main tracker/server and allows you to access both Mac and PC servers. Make sure UT2K4 is updated to the latest version and you'll be fine.

14. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Actually, it has been like that since the original Unreal Tournament from 1999 was released. There's never been an issue whether Mac and PC users can play together or not. I've never experienced that with any game, in fact.

All in all, UT2k4 is a great game built on a good and fast engine. At E3 this year they demonstrated Unreal Engine 3, and it looks like game development suddenly jumped a couple of years into the future. It's totally awesome. Don't know when it's going to be released as a new UT game though. UT2k4 isn't really an old game yet, but from what I saw in the demonstration movie the game engine seemed pretty much complete. I hope for a new release late this year, or early next year.

15. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Cool. (Checks bank account balance to see if 2.5 GHz Powermac and new display are in the cards...turns on 17" iMac and boots up Otto Matic.)

:(

Squire

16. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    FYI... the 9800 SE is the budget version of the 9800 Pro. it's actually a defective 9800 Pro that they turned off half of the pixel pipelines and slaped a "SE" sticker on it.

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

yeah, i was just going to say that...there are literally dozens of variant versions of the 9X00 series cards...

some of them are expensive AND slow...the 9600 SE 256 is one of my favorite joke cards...it's got half the pipelines of the 9600 Pro, but twice the VRAM...the result is a card that costs MORE than, in some cases, a 9600XT 128MB, and yet it is on a performace level consistent with something between a 9200 and a 9600 regular...

silly silly silly 3rd party card providers trying to trick people...

apple likes to take their card names from the top-end PC cards, but then lower the clock and memory speeds to something closer to the next-in-line card.

The Mac 9800 Pro is almost directly in between the ATI-proper 9800 and 9800 Pro.

at least there are only a couple options on the mac so you can't get confused too easily...

but yeah, UT is great.

dude who said you are getting 30-60 fps, i encourage you to do a timedemo and report your actual results...i seriously doubt your settings are turned up to what game reviewers would call "quality" settings if you're getting those speeds on a Mac...I have a G5, so I'm not hating, but it just isn't that fast on the gaming front...

18. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Don't get me wrong. I was slaughtering my dual 2 ghz G5 until I reinstalled UT2k4 and got a nice 10 fps avg boost over my previous minimum average. I'm talking about both Onslaught maps _and_ Deathmatch maps, which are much faster. I've been playing Quake3 for years and was needed to _cap_ the framerate to 200 fps in order to get the game to play correctly... Imagine my dissapointment when the G5 was crunching along in UT2k4 with and fps average of only 20 in the most demanding Onslaught maps. Now when I have reinstalled and solved my mouse scaling issues which related to OS X itself, I'm more than happy with the game!

19. G4-power thread starter macrumors 6502

G4-power

From the Halo for Mac website

"System Requirements:

Minimum: Macintosh computer with 800MHz G4/G5 or faster processor, Mac OS X v10.2.8 or higher, 256MB RAM, 32MB AGP Video Card (GeForce 2MX/ATI 7500 or better), 1.4GB hard disk space. Internet or LAN connection required for online play.

Recommended: 1GHz G4/G5 or faster processor, Mac OS X v10.3, 512MB RAM, 64MB AGP Video Card (GeForce 4ti-ATI 9000 or better)."

Your iBook has ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32 MB of VRAM. Your computer does indeed meet minimum system requirements, however, I don't think you will experience very good frame rates. Tony Hawk 4 is an "old" game, and doesn't require as much power. Halo should have some settings where you could increase performance by taking off power-demanding effects.

20. G4-power thread starter macrumors 6502

G4-power

Ah, I see. Thanks for lightening things up a bit for me.

Okay. So a UT 2005 could be in sight. Maybe it's worth waiting for. Hope it comes out before Christmas! ;)

21. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

There are some fairly new games that aren't cross-platform... like Worms 3-D... really pisses me off...

22. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Ummm... are you confusing it with the PC version of the special edition?

http://www.barefeats.com/rad9800s.html

23. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    ah i see. they said special edition and i assumed it was just special edition not Pro Special Edition. :p :D