what region, state, or nation would you most like to move to?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Feb 21, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

....or would you like to stay put?

i live in chilly northern california and i have often wanted to visit vancouver with the option of one day wanting to move there

i have also wanted to live in san luis obispo in southern california if i had to move within the state

if i went for an exotic location, kauai is great

2. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

i like where i am... sunny San Diego! although... its kinda cloudy, and raining......

3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I'd probably move to Australia, but of course I might want to go visit before doing so :)

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I love where I live, Austin, Texas, but if I had to move to one place it would be NYC.

I went there when I was in 8th grade, and I LOVED it. When I can afford it I want to live there for at least 6 months. Probably no longer than a year. I want to see plenty of plays, and artsy type things.

scem0

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    settle down in italy, been around the world a lot, that place had enough exitment plus its very relaxed when you need to chill

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Only one possible answer for me.
    New Zealand.

7. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Monterey, near San Francisco, or stay in Seattle. I think I could be happy just about anywhere on the west coast though. Like to spend a few years in Japan at some point

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hmm, central New Hampshire would be nice, or perhaps just outside of Maranello (if you ask what country I'll slap you), but then, my own island in the southern Pacific would be nice...

9. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

There was a thread several months ago with the same topic. Great one, though.

The other day, I told my wife that I'd like to hang out on a vineyard in Italy for a little while. New Zealand would be nice, too. (I visited a town called Nelson that was really laid back.) I've never been to the Florida Keys but, after reading a few Jimmy Buffett books, I'd like to check it out. Ultimately, though, I'll probably settle down out in BC- not in Vancouver but within a 3- or 4-hour drive.

Squire

10. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Victoria is really a beautiful and friendly town

11. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Though I wouldn't want to move there, I'd certainly like to live on New Zealand's South Island for a while, preferably around Fiordland.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If I were free of obligations, I would move back to Japan. It's the place where I actually feel normal, even if I'm not. :D

England is appealing to me, except for the weather. Australia seems friendly, so maybe that would be good.

13. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

On a vineyard near the French Riviera or in Italy. Someplace with plenty of sun. I've always wanted to visit England, but never had the opportunity. I don't know if I would want to live there though.

14. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I just desprately want to get out of Green Bay. During the summer, I skateboarded and went running every day. The winter doesn't allow for that, and I get wiked cabin fever. Moving to a big city (Chicago, NY) would be nice because there is more stuff to do than the one mall we have. I've also been playing with the idea of going to college in florida and living with my dad. Just get me the hell out of here!

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

If I were to move anywhere, it would peobably be somewhere in Nothern/Central California. I always wanted to visit Napa Valley and see what that is like.

I also get cabin fever in the winter so anywhere that snows in the winter is out of the question.

16. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

From the end of August of 2003 to Christmas of 2003, I lived in a little town in the UK. The town is Grantham (In case anyone cares, it's the birthplace of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher). My experience living in and traveling through Europe has made me want to only look for jobs outside the US (I'm graduating from college in May of 2005). I'd love to live in Paris or London. Both are fantastic cities.

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

"Freedy needs a nanny, because Freddy's been a very naughty boy." [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I would also like to be in New York City. I've been fascinated by the feeling of being near/around tall buildings. Also, a lot of the people from/in New York are a lot more intelligent and responsible than the people up here.

I grew up with New Jersey and New York blood, and it's not going to change. Plus, I can't stand living where I am now. People SUCK up here!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Oh, yeah. That's where they make Porsches, right? ;)

Squire

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well right now I live in the Great Lakes region, and the winters here are getting very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very old.

So I might like to move to Florida or California.

Did I mention I hate the winters here?

20. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Back in 1992 I spent the night in a privately owned campground just 4 miles outside Glacier National Park. It was ringed by mountains and had a river running along the back of the property.

Still, to this day, I want to cash-out my assorted junk, go back and buy that campground.

21. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that's me my whole life

pros...safe, clean, very little traffic, golf everywhere, good food, and simple people

cons...not many schools and colleges, few nightclubs, not much culture, simple people ;)

for the most part the majority born here stay here, or if they leave they come right back...many people escape from sf and la and take lower paying jobs to just chill out...it doesn't matter what you do, the jobs pay low since the main form of income is tourism and when the season is slow, like right now, everything is slow

the region is so quiet and quaint that a lot of people in the country see this area as america's last hometown and they want a stake in it...real estate prices have gone through the roof as a result and only jupiter, florida is more extreme in its real estate offerings...so this means a lot of places are bought by rich out of town city folk who live too far away to live in the monterey houses, so bored high school kids crash these homes and party like the dickens...but since crime is so low here, people don't think about locking their doors or putting alarm systems in...and when the kids break into the houses to party, they don't take anything and leave the place cleaner than it was

but when i was in high school, the kids were not as bratty...but we still had our pranks...heck, we get bored, right? he he...since there are very few streetlights in the area, people who walk around at night walk around in the dark...we used to like to string dental floss at head/face height and tie them in at nearby trees and watch the reaction of the people as they walked into them...most thought they were walking into giant spiderwebs in the dark and it totally freaked them out...we almost died laughing

when i see the shows on the rich and famous stars on vh1, i will see a huge mansion they live in and what they paid for it...in monterey, they would get a small broomcloset for the same price:p :p :p

22. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I second that, and Japan or an island all to myself where I am ruler and I can make my own hedonistic desires come true and all what should be fair in this world would be there.

23. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well, considering iowa is subzero for four months out of the year, and 90-100+ four months out of the year, i want to go someplace with nice temperatures all the time. central california or miami, probably. i wouldn't mind nevada or arizona, dry heat, or even new orleans. i can deal with heat a lot more than i can deal with cold.

paul

24. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I like the town I live in, Versailles, KY. We have good schools. I am close to work. 65% registered democrats, but mostly conservative democrats. (People call me a liberal republican. I get along well with conservative democrats.) Friendly people around here, except for some of the middle-aged farmers. We have pretty good schools, and are getting a community college sooon. We usually have or tie for the lowest unemployment in the state. I live in a cookie-cutter subdivision. It is safe and quiet, with little traffic. I like my neighbors. If I can ever afford it, though, I'd like to buy a historic house downtown. The houses around there have character, and each one looks different from the other. I have counted my house 6 times in my neighborhood since we moved here. And, I like the idea of being able to walk to a store, doctor, accountant, dentist, library, and pretty much anywhere. We just got an award from Laura Bush because of our downtown preservation and revitalization activities. We were one of only 8 towns in the U.S. to be awarded, so we must be doing well. We are close enough to Lexington, Louisville, Franfort, and even Cincinnati that when I need some city, we don't have far to travel.

If I decided to move away, I'm not sure where I'd go. I visited Chicago at age 12, and went without the shackles of my parents last summer. I really like it there, but they have pretty bad winters, I think. I also spent a day in St. Augustine, FL last summer. It is a beautiful city. I've heard good things about Key West and Key Largo, but I've never been. I went to Ft. Lauderdale and I fell in love with the South Florida weather. But, there were no hurricanes when we were there. :) I'd kind of like to get a timeshare through a company like Fairfield, where you can use your time at hundreds of different resorts around the U.S. and some others around the world. I want to see more places, but I think I'd come back home eventually.