What resolution does the iPod output via the iPod AV Cable?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by amin, Oct 8, 2006.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I have been beating myself up to find the best way to produce a quality DVD coversion for the iPod, but maybe I don't need to do so. I only watch the movies on the iPod itself or as an output to a standard TV via the iPod AV Cable. Does this mean I max out at 320 x 240, or can the iPod do higher res video output via the cable?

2. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

The maximum resoulution that can be used on the iPod is 640X480. I am sure of this because the iTunes Store sells all its videos at that resolution.

3. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

So the iPod output via the AV cable is the same as it's maximum resolution?

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think it outputs an analog signal (NTSC). That would give it 480 lines.

5. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I thought 320x240 was the max resolution when displaying iPod content on a TV.

6. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

480 vertical lines or horizontal?

It definitely looks higher than that on my 32" HD TV. I have some movies encoded at 320 wide, some at 720 wide, and the latter look far higher res on the TV via the AV cable.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, 320x240 was the max res of H.264 videos that could be played on the original 5G iPod.

The outputted video will be whatever resolution it is encoded in. So for videos bought from the iTunes Store it will output at 640x480 and the same for videos encoded by Quicktime's Export to iPod option.

The iPod scales video down to fit it's built in screen but when connected to a TV it will output the full resolution.

8. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the iPod Photo, which came with the iPod AV cable, outputted photos via that cable at an even lower res than it displayed on its screen. I haven't seen Apple officially comment anywhere on the video output specs on the new iPods, but my viewing experience confirms what you said Chundles.

9. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Well thats über cool then.
    Just remember somebody, official/unofficial source, mention that output was restricted to 320x280 no matter what resolution the file was encoded in.
    Now I might even consider getting the adapter :)