What restrictions did you have when you first started to drive?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ibookin', Mar 26, 2004.

1. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I am very happy, as today I got my learner's driving permit in California. I passed the written test with a score of 45/46 and am taking my driving lessons next week. Then only 6 months until I get my license.

I know that now the regulations are stricter. What restrictions did you have when you first started to drive?

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

When I learnt to drive (1987) I had to be supervised at all times whilst I was a 'Learner'. Back then you only needed to pass a 1 hour practical driving test in mostly urban traffic (no motorways/freeways). After that I immediately had a full licence to drive any car unsupervised on any UK road.

These days in the UK we have written tests and a harder practical test. People who have just passed now need to drive a car with a special 'P' plate on it for the first few months.

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

When I got my permit, I had to have fifty hours of experience behind the wheel, and then either another fifty hours or a certified drivers' education course before I could get my license.

When I got my license, I couldn't drive with anybody under twenty-five in the car except immediate family, or if one of my parents was riding shotgun. That's for six months. After six months, I could drive up to three other people under twenty-five, and after twelve months, I could drive anybody I liked.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow. I guess I'm pretty old. When I got my license, there were no restrictions. You got your license, you could drive. Funny, I didn't get my license until I was 22. Before that I always lived in big cities and didn't need one. But my fiancee insisted I get one as a condition of marriage. I got one the day before the wedding.

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I got a learners permit at 15 and 9 months. That required me to be accompanied at all times while I was driving. At 16 I got a "Cinderella" license, no driving after midnight. The cinderella was for 1 year then I got a full lisence (the period was extended if you got a violation in that year)

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

My birthday fell just a few months before they enacted similar laws in Texas, so other than having a licensed operator in the passenger seat with my learner's permit, I have no restrictions on my license, except that I have to wear glasses...

7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

In Indiana:

At 15, you can get your learner's permit. No written test, just a vision one. So, any 15 year-old can get a permit as long as you come with a parent and you aren't legally blind. You can then drive a car with a licensed driver over the age of 21 inside. Before you turn 16, you must complete a driver's education course with 10 hours of in-car driving with an instructor, and like 30 hours in-class learning driving material (2 hour class, 5 days a week, for 3 weeks).

At the age of 16 years, 1 Month, and 1 Day, you go to the license branch, taken a written and driving test, and then you get your license. For the first 90 days you have it, you cannot drive in a car with anyone that is under the age of 21. You can also not drive between Midnight at 6AM. Once your 90 days is up, you can drive anyone at anytime.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congratulations, ibookin'! But only 45 out of 46? You should have studied harder! :D

I've seen many new drivers who think they are better drivers than they are (I'm not talking about you, I mean in general), so I understand why the permit restrictions were added in California. Statistics back them up. For example, if teens drive with other teens, they tend to drive less carefully.

How much do the rules differ from state to state?

9. macka macrumors regular

This is how it works in NSW, Australia:

At 16 you can go for the Driver Knowledge Test (touch screen computer) which is fairly easy, but you can only something like two wrong to pass.
    If you pass, you get your Learners' Permit. You have to clock up 50 hours, and must drive with somebody who's fully licensed.

At 17, you go for a Driver Qualification Test, where you sit in a car with a qualified instructor and they test you on everything, parking, three point turns, blah blah. Once you pass that you go on your Red P's or Provisional license. You hold this license for one year.

At 18, you go for a Hazard Perception Test (another touch screen computer) and once you pass, you get your Green P's or Second Provisional license. You must hold this for two years.

At 20, you get your full license.

Now tell me what country/state has restrictions as ridiculous as these...not to mention test fees, driver test fees, computer test fees, license fees, ongoing fees.....but our public transport system is totally screwed, so I guess we have not other choice. :)

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Here in NZ, at 15 you can get a Learner licence. You sit a "scratch test", where you have several multichoice questions and scratch the panel next to the correct answer. Once you have the licence, you require "L Plates" which stick in the corners of your front and back windscreens. You must be supervised, and may not drive after 10:00.

I can't remember whether it's 6 or 12 months later, you can upgrade to a Restricted licence. You need to sit a practical driving test. Once you pass, you no longer need the L plates, and no longer need to be supervised. Still can't drive after 10, and can't carry passengers unless you're supervised.

18 months later comes another test, then you're a fully-licenced driver :)

I found my brother's licence sitting in the car the other day, apparently he's only 8 years old ;)

11. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

It seems that the driving laws in other states are pretty strict. (I got my license about 8 months ago)

Here in Missouri
    At 15 you can take your permit test. Pretty easy, about 20, and you get as many tries to pass as you want. When you pass you get your permit which allows you to drive with a parent or other adult 21 yrs or older. You also have to pass a vision and road sign test. (very easy)
    The permit costs $5

At 16 you take the driving test with a state trooper sitting in the passenger seat. You do not have to take the written again if you got your permit less than a year ago. Its also easy. Just lane changes, stop lights and stop signs, and a couple of turns. Only takes about 10 min. When you pass the only restriction is that you can't drive from 1 am to 5 am.
    cost: $7

At 18 you get a full unrestricted license

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I had no restrictions but then, I was on the high side of 16 and it was back in 1976. I had to take the written and eyesight tests, but the practical test was waived because I did so well in class.

The licences at that time didn't have restrictions. It was only a year or two before that that a 14 year old could get a reststricted licence. (Obviously, I was in the U.S.A.)

13. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

What if you're *illegally* blind? :D :D :D

14. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

In Germany, you can only drive once you're 18... You're allowed to take lessons from the age of 17, though. My restriction is that I have to wear glasses :).

A major restriction is that a few years ago they changed the standard driving license in the EU to limit you to 2.5t vehicles. Glad I got my license just before that -- being allowed to drive cars/lorries up to 7.5t comes in handy sometimes, although I only had to use it once so far.

15. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

In Japan, you can start driving school at 18. Go through extensive training (that costs a few thousand US dollars), drive all over the place with your instructor, and finally get your license. Makes for very good drivers, as you have to be really good in order to pass. I know some people, who though they've been licensed in the US for decades, had to take their tests in Japan 4 or 5 times before being granted a license. Then there's the absurdly high fees for owning a car, which keeps out many more people… I am very glad to have such a good public transportation system.

16. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

in iowa, when i did it, at 14 you got a learners permit that meant you could drive accompanied by a licensed driver... at 16, full license, if you took driver's ed (if not, 18 is full license).

there was also the restriction that the driver's ed instructor decide whether you had to take a driving test or not. i apparently had a "lead foot" (*******) so i had to take that one :rolleyes:

they also wanted me not to roll and burn my vehicle, for at least 2 weeks after getting my license. i didn't follow that one... :eek:

they've changed the laws recently, it's some several-stage thing now... i dunno. they've also changed the licenses to vertical format for those under 21, on my last renew cycle. and of course i haven't gone to get a new one yet, so bouncers always give me weird looks :rolleyes:

paul

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Then, you cannot operate the drive up automated teller machine, which incidentally, usually has Braille on it. :)

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations ibookin', I know that even for a perfectionist it's hard to get 100% on the drivers test. I took driver's training at my high school during Summer School Sophomore year. At that time only had to be supervised during the learners permit phase. Don't remember now how long to took to get my drivers license. Then no restrictions.

My wife lived in a city so she walked and used a bus. She got her drivers license just before we got married.

20. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

On my 16th birthday 14 years ago I took a written test then took a driving test with an officer. Passed. Got my license. No restrictions.

Two accidents. One my fault when I was 16. Second not my fault three years ago, both minor.

21. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

My restrictions are as follows:
    -I must drive with an adult over 25 with a California License

Once I get my license, which I have to wait 6 months for:
    -I cannot drive other minors for 6 months without a parent
    -I cannot drive between the hours of midnight and 5AM without a parent

22. iGav macrumors G3

that's insane... 4 years to get a full license... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Took me just under 4 weeks to learn and pass my test, after which you have no restrictions at all with regards to what car you drive and who is in the car with you.

My first lesson was on my 17th Birthday which is the minimal age to learn to drive, and then I was ready for my test within 2 weeks, the only thing that stopped me passing even quicker was waiting for my Test date, otherwise I'd have sliced a good 2 weeks off the time it took for me to gain my license. :D I also passed 1st time... :D

I'd been driving since I was 13 though, mainly when my dad or a friends dad took us to Southport beach, and occasionally at aerodromes so my car control was high by the time I'd even got near to learning on the roads.

The problem with our driving lessons and test is that it's simply not advanced or thourough enough, you don't actually learn to 'drive' so to speak, you learn to pass the test and then learn to drive after you have passed... I shudder at the amount of people that have no idea of the difference between oversteer/understeer (or it's causes) or what even cadence braking is. :rolleyes:

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i got my permit at 15.5 years and license at 17...my parents didn't let me drive at 16 and looking back, that was a good thing...i drove like a maniac until i was 18 when entered college away from home

and in my first year away, i didn't get to keep the car so i didn't have wheels until i was 19...once i got them, i was a taxi for fellow students since most students didn't have a car because they couldn't afford one...even still, the parking lot of the school was way too crowded and they were designed for a school of 4,000 plus faculty...but the school had 16,000 students ;)

i remember the local farm kids drove tractors since very early so they got a waiver and were able to legally drive with a full license at 14 and this one boy had his license and car the second semester of 8th grade...he was the only one in school with a car since it was a middle school...a few months later he died of lip cancer caused from chewing tobacco

but for the last year of his life, he got to be the star of the school with his wheels

24. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

My restrictions are:
    Not allowed to drive!

Bah!

No I haven't got my license yet... :(

25. Blackstealth macrumors regular

True, and it seems it's getting easier and easier to pass the test going by the number of clueless young drivers I encounter on my daily commute...