What rpm is your mini 40 GB HD?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by deebster, Jul 10, 2005.

1. deebster macrumors 6502

Before I get a mini I'm interested in what proportion of the stock 40 GB hard drives are 5,400 rpm, especially in those more recently purchased.

From reading early reports and speed tests it seems quite a few were the faster speed, but that it was a lottery as to what you got.

And all the 80 GB ones are 4,200 rpm right?

Hopefully the rev B models will be 5,400 rpm across the board, if and when they come.

2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

The one in my Mini is 5400 RPM. The model number of the drive is ST940110A.

Here is a link to a topic in another forums site - you may find it useful.

Linkety

aussie_geek

3. deebster thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a_g

So yours is a Seagate then. Good to hear. Me likey Seagate.

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

mine shows the same model number in xbench and system profiler. I figured it was a samsung but segate is better so i'm happy about that. think it really is a 5400?

5. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I have a Mini with the 80 GB drive and it's 4200 RPM. I think you are correct that all the 80 GB drives are 4200 RPM.

6. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I have a mini with a 40GB drive which is 5,400 Rpm But I don't boot of it,
    I use a 160GB Lacie external at 7200 Rpm via firewire which made a huge difference in speed.

7. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

cool. I just ordered one of these

i'm going to take out its 80gb and swap it with the western digital 120gb 8mb cache I have. the 80gb it comes with only has 2mb buffer so it goes inside my tower. all my tower does is download, burn and fold.

8. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Wow this looks really nice, and way better than that MiniMate I got.
    The MiniMate has no cooling fans and overheats if left on for more than a few hours at a time.
    The hard drive in it has been having some serious issues too, hence me moving my boot disk to the Lacie drive.

9. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I was going to get a minimate but in one review I saw the guy had issues installing tiger and panther on it. saw this "ministack" and thought it seemed better. owc is also a well respected company and only sell the best of the best. they do no sell the minimate.

10. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I think I will order me one of the ministacks and delegate the minimate to the iMac my son uses.
    Thanks for the link zen.state

11. deebster thread starter macrumors 6502

Whoa, that miniStack is one sexy mofo.

(I can't believe I just said that about an 'aluminum colored plastic' box :D )

Shame they don't seem to be on sale in the UK yet though.

12. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

owc ships all over the globe.

13. danny_w macrumors 601

Can you put a 2.5" laptop drive in the miniStack? Aren't there 2.5"-3.5" adapters that you can use for this? Is there room in the case to install this, or is the case too tight?

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Why? The whole point is to take advantage of a bigger/better/faster 3.5" hard drive. If you want to put a 2.5" in the miniStack, why not just put it in the mini itself? If you happen to have an extra 2.5" lying around, just feeBay it and get yourself a 3.5"

15. danny_w macrumors 601

For me, the whole purpose (or at least a major point) of the mini is the QUIET, and 3.5" drives are in general much noisier. Perhaps there are some 3.5" drives which are fairly quiet, but from what I have read just about any 3.5" external drive is louder than the mini by itself. For that very reason I have condsidered getting an external 2.5" (such as the OWC Mercury), but the miniStack just looks so much nicer underneath the mini.

By the way, I have several 3.5" drives lying around doing nothing at the moment, but no 2.5" drives.